RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 537
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 23 2010, 04:12 PM   #361
scnj
Captain

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Sigh. The first issue of the comic was written before 28 Days Later was released into cinemas. It took inspiration from the opening of Day Of The Triffids.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 04:49 PM   #362
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Well this would explain it all, then.
Old November 23 2010, 04:58 PM   #363
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Speaking of the comics, here is an interview with Robert Kirkman regarding "Vatos."
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 06:18 PM   #364
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
I know it is a little too early to judge, I saw the first episode last night and it simply felt like a 28 days later ripoff. An americanised version of the British production (IMHO the best Zombie film to date). The story was pretty much copy and paste up to the point where in 28 days later the survivors meet the military people.
I know... making films (or in that matter shows) about zombies means to rely to certain aspects (running, screaming, tension etc.) but that was a little too obvious for my taste. Anyway... I will watch episode 2 tonight and hope they don't just continue copy pasting.
Wow, you loved X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but hated the pilot for this show??!?!!? (I know 2 totally different things) I am seriously judging you right now.

All kidding aside, just keep watching, it's actually really good. Best new show of the Fall season.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 06:55 PM   #365
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

No, no, no! I did not hate it... it simply felt familiar... Nothing wrong about it though. And scnj already mentioned the comics were there first... so it was actually '28 days' which borrowed elements from TWD.

And loved is a little strong. I enjoyed it, yes even liked it... but there are only few movies I would say I love.
Old November 23 2010, 07:00 PM   #366
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

[...] so it was actually '28 days' which borrowed elements from TWD.
I think it was likely more one of those serendipitous moments where two products in parallel development shared similarities. The first issue of The Walking Dead was on retail shelves in October 2003, while the U.S. release of 28 Days Later was in November 2003. It certainly wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that such a situation would arise.
Old November 23 2010, 07:09 PM   #367
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

That's really interesting, since both teams followed the same path: Create a character the audience/reader can relate to, who himself has to be introduced to the situation... well, it worked in both cases.
Old November 23 2010, 07:44 PM   #368
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Also, I haven't read the comics, but I understand that winter does affect these Zombies. It certainly affects them in WWZ.

Anyway, in the first episode Rick finds half a zombie or what's left of one still crawling around. Who know how it got that way, but it was pretty rotten - and it had been roughly a month since Rick had been in a coma, right? That particular zombie's rate of decomposition suggests they do in fact rot away slowly. But do these zombies actually get anything out of eating people? From what do they metabolize energy? The demi-zombie probably doesn't ahve a stomach or intestines to speak of, but it was obviously still active.

Obviously the mechanics of rotting undead flesh is hardly an exact science, and I'm more than willing to gloss over it for the sake of how good this drama is. Like certain shows about wizards or vampires, we're generally expected to just accept it as reality. But like certain shows, it's easy to pick away at the details of the situation.

Mark
Please keep asking these kinds of questions. I'm presently writing a short book on "Undead" Physiology and I'm don't want to leave out anything that someone might be wondering about. I've developed a brand new and somewhat plausible Real World explanation for the origins of zombies which I want to share (and, NO, it does NOT involve any virus). So make a list and ask away. PM me with it if you want. I'd hate to miss answering something someone is wondering about.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 07:50 PM   #369
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
They should've been fine since they'd strung empty cans on strings all around the encampment. I'm thinking something, or someone with a grudge disarmed the alarm.
I suppose we can guess who that was. Gotta hand it to him.
Yes, congratulations are in order. Let's give him a hand.

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I never heard of the comic until this show came on now I am going to buy it. Love this series!!! Last night was a shocker. I wonder what happened to the racist guy who cut off his hand? I figured he was going to show up and cause trouble.
What makes you think he didn't? He did, apparently, steal a truck for some mysterious reason (as opposed to any other number of vehicles he could have found).
Actually, why would they suspect him specifically? It's not like he'd know where they left the truck, and we know there are other people around.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 08:22 PM   #370
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post

Actually, why would they suspect him specifically? It's not like he'd know where they left the truck, and we know there are other people around.
Well he is kinda the obvious choice. I mean, it would be an awful waste of a plot thread if he'd just taken the truck and decided to drive to Key West.

I'm guessing where they parked is the main safe route in and out of the city that they used when they first arrived. It did look pretty much zombie free.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 09:33 PM   #371
Tom
Rear Admiral

Nitpicks:

- One thing that bothered me was it looked like Rick and the guys jogged back to camp after the truck was gone?? Why? they have hundreds of cars around them that may have the keys or they can hotwire like the mustang. It makes absolutly no sense they they would be forced to walk/run back. Also why do they assume Merle took the truck? Could be anyone, they are parked quite a bit off from the building Merle was In. Merle could have easily taken one of the hundreds of cars lying around also.

- No guard on the RV?

- That many Zombies made it to the camp at the same exact time, with out being noticed?

- Rick the others seem to have no problem traverseing the city to get to the gang's place then back to the building, then back to the Gang's place again, then back to where the truck was suppose to be. Too convient it seems. (not to mention the walk/jog back to camp on foot)
Old November 24 2010, 05:07 PM   #372
Nicholna
Cadet

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
FluffyUnbound wrote: View Post
In the graphic novel, how long does the love triangle go on?
It sort of depends on how one defines the love triangle.

If you're curious about the actual "relationship" between Lori & Shane, Rick's return, and Shane's resulting jealousy, all of it was resolved in the comics by the end of issue #6.

Issue #7 has a flashback showing Lori & Shane's only sexual encounter while traveling to Atlanta.

If, however, you're curious about the "fallout" of that "relationship" (BIG spoilers!):

Even BIGGER spoilers as a complement to previous tag:

THANK YOU Can you repost the link to the comic. I can't seem to find it.
Nicholna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 05:18 PM   #373
the G-man
Commodore

I think it was likely more one of those serendipitous moments where two products in parallel development shared similarities. The first issue of The Walking Dead was on retail shelves in October 2003, while the U.S. release of 28 Days Later was in November 2003. It certainly wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that such a situation would arise.
And, arguably, both independently borrowed from the original Day of the Triffids. (In fact, Boyle has acknowledged Triffids as an influence).
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 05:26 PM   #374
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Nicholna wrote: View Post
Can you repost the link to the comic. I can't seem to find it.
Are you referring to the free online copy of issue #1? If so, you can read it here.

the G-man wrote: View Post
And, arguably, both independently borrowed from the original Day of the Triffids. (In fact, Boyle has acknowledged Triffids as an influence).
I've never seen it myself, but I believe Kirkman has acknowledged it as an influence as well. I was more referring to the fact that two stories using that same idea came out so close together.
Old November 24 2010, 05:31 PM   #375
Nicholna
Cadet

Pervers Pépère wrote: View Post
I read the first three issues and I think it's pretty faithful.
Hell yes it was.

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I wonder how much time had transpired.
One month in the comics.

Sheep wrote: View Post
I hope Lennie James shows up again--he was great in tonight's episode.
(This is a very minor spoiler.)
I'm not caught up entirely on the comics at this point, but apparently (this is a major spoiler)

marillion wrote: View Post
I did roll my eyes with the whole love triangle angle.. Do we need such agnst so early? I haven't read the graphic series, but I'm assuming it's also an element there?
It is. If you think that was bad, just wait

All in all, as a big fan of the comics (as you might be able to tell from all of my "in the comics" spoiler tags...), I loved this premiere. It was very faithful and very well-done. The tank bit was a nice addition that wasn't in the comics. The best addition was certainly the extended time Rick spent with Morgan and Duane, especially Morgan's inability to shoot his zombie wife. Andrew Lincoln is a perfect Rick Grimes.

If anyone's interested, you can read the first full issue #1 of Robert Kirkman's series here.
never mind...i found it!!