MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 16 2010, 12:49 AM   #271
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Paul Michael Glaser was the actor who played the role of Dave Starsky in Starsky & Hutch. Where were you during the 80s? (and I know it's a 70s TV show).

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 01:13 AM   #272
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And that guy was pretty stupid to cut off his own hand when the Zombies couldn't even get through (and obviously gave up and left).
The zombies were probably still trying to get through the door when Merle cut his hand off, and that probably only increased their frenzy to get onto the roof. He wouldn't have had a way of knowing if the chains would hold, after all, so cutting his hand off likely seemed to be his only option at the time. The zombies probably didn't leave until after he did, since they would've been drawn to his blood.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 01:14 AM   #273
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

And that guy was pretty stupid to cut off his own hand when the Zombies couldn't even get through (and obviously gave up and left).
They likely only gave up and left because Merle did (the door was still padlocked so he must have found another way out of there).

And he had no idea anyone was coming back for him, so better to get it over with sooner than later as he steadily got weaker from exposure and lack of food and water, the effect of which would have most likely added to his desperation.
Old November 16 2010, 01:48 AM   #274
Jax
Admiral

Some ratings news and TWD went up in viewers and held the current demo...

Total viewers rose from 4.7 million viewers last week to 5.1 million last night.
The adults 18-49 held steady at 3.3 million adults 18-49 (2.5 national adults 18-49 rating
why is it only 6 episodes this season
Old November 16 2010, 02:12 AM   #275
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The Hollywood Reporter cites sources that say season two of The Walking Dead will likely premiere in October 2011 to again capitalize on increased viewership and promotion during AMC's Fearfest.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 03:28 AM   #276
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I thought the wife was pretty high and mighty for someone who fucked Shane pretty enthusiastically 20 minutes after her husband died.
That was guilt talking. She took Shane's word for it that Rick was dead - it's not like either of them were going to fight their way into Zombie Hospital and make absolutely sure - so it's completely unfair for her to blame Shane for a decision they both made. But she needs to find someone to blame. Not a very nice characteristic, but realistic.

This show is definitely very observant and sharp about human behavior. And of course Shane, having "traditional" views about man-woman relationships, takes the guilt burden on himself. He's Rick's friend, she's his wife - a family member has more responsibility towards Rick than a co-worker and friend, so Shane should be the one bitching at her for leaving Rick behind! If he had more enlightened views, maybe he could have called her on her BS rather than taking it out on Redneck #3 (not that I cared if he got his ass kicked).

why is it only 6 episodes this season
AMC was being cautious and considering all the risks they were taking, they were right to be. Zombies are a new topic for TV; horror in general hasn't been notably successful on TV; the gore might drive away viewers; it's unknown whether the AMC audience will go for an outlandish sci fi premise. Sure it's well made, but well made shows don't always do this well.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; November 16 2010 at 03:39 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 05:20 AM   #277
sojourner
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The Hollywood Reporter cites sources that say season two of The Walking Dead will likely premiere in October 2011 to again capitalize on increased viewership and promotion during AMC's Fearfest.
OCTOBER???? Wow! Good luck keeping the audience they've built.
Old November 16 2010, 05:33 AM   #278
Jax
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I assume they will repeat the show over the summer and maybe even during midseason. AMC should of figured in the long break and took a bigger risk making the 1st season 10 episodes or air it during Jan-Feb (with the original 6 episodes plan).
Old November 16 2010, 06:47 AM   #279
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
I assume they will repeat the show over the summer and maybe even during midseason. AMC should of figured in the long break and took a bigger risk making the 1st season 10 episodes or air it during Jan-Feb (with the original 6 episodes plan).
It's not unheard of on AMC. Breaking Bad finished this past season in June, and the next one is scheduled to start airing next July.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 07:56 AM   #280
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post

It's not unheard of on AMC. Breaking Bad finished this past season in June, and the next one is scheduled to start airing next July.
Or on cable in general. Most shows go a full year between season premiers, after airing in short, compact blocks with no breaks. That's just how it works.

Loved "Tell it to the frogs," as well. Pretty low-key compared to the first two (I like the idea of the zed being more of a looming, unseen threat), and really did a good job of showing what people do to cope with surviving—and how they sometimes do a poor job of it, at that. I really wish we were getting more than six episodes this season...

Last edited by Canadave; November 16 2010 at 08:09 AM.
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 08:08 AM   #281
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

It's most likely built up a considerable fanbase in addition to the hype beforehand. Take True Blood for example, before it premiered their was a decent amount of buzz for it and look a it now it's become one of the biggest cable shows around, sure Vamps are the in thing now or at least was few years back. As long as the quality of the show stays strong the fans will come back next year.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 10:30 AM   #282
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Paul Michael Glaser was the actor who played the role of Dave Starsky in Starsky & Hutch. Where were you during the 80s? (and I know it's a 70s TV show).
I was there right at the beginning. And his partner had the same nickname as me, which gave a boost to my ratings.

The zombies probably didn't leave until after he did, since they would've been drawn to his blood.
Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
They likely only gave up and left because Merle did (the door was still padlocked so he must have found another way out of there).
Yeah, this is true.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
it's unknown whether the AMC audience will go for an outlandish sci fi premise. Sure it's well made, but well made shows don't always do this well.
Sci fi?
Old November 16 2010, 11:35 AM   #283
Snaploud
Admiral

it's unknown whether the AMC audience will go for an outlandish sci fi premise. Sure it's well made, but well made shows don't always do this well.
Sci fi?
It's a post-apocalyptic world brought about via a virus...Yeah, I'd say it qualifies.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 04:12 PM   #284
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

The zombies were probably still trying to get through the door when Merle cut his hand off, and that probably only increased their frenzy to get onto the roof. He wouldn't have had a way of knowing if the chains would hold, after all, so cutting his hand off likely seemed to be his only option at the time. The zombies probably didn't leave until after he did, since they would've been drawn to his blood.

Actually, if you think about it, Merle had no way to know the door had even been chained. He really didn't have a good view from where he was and likely for all he could tell, the only reason the Dead hadn't already come barreling out onto the roof after him was because they were piled up three-stooges style at the door. He may have thought he had literally seconds until they were all over him and panicked. It would be easy to do under those circumstances.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 07:22 PM   #285
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I think they'll get most of the audience back. This isn't a Caprica situation where the show is sorta boring and not really finding its focus before the break. There are so few decent shows to watch (The Walking Dead is the only show of the fall season I'm sticking with) that people should be all that more motivated to remember it.

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Sci fi?
It's a post-apocalyptic world brought about via a virus...Yeah, I'd say it qualifies.
It's as sci fi as anything on TV. I hope nobody is expecting "hard" sci fi on TV, ever.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote