RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,693
Posts: 5,431,078
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 521
Newest member: 713brianp27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 4 2010, 09:50 AM   #151
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Because watching a person try one dead phone or one dead computer after another makes for RIVETING viewing, right?
That's right. It's a great way to build suspense and escalate fear.

I'm happy they didn't dwell on this aspect. Everyone has been familiar with the basic initial play-out of a zombie-apocalypse since "Night of the Living Dead" in 1968. We've SEEN the origin of the event story--SEVERAL times in SEVERAL movies. Anyone familiar enough with the concept of zombies to bother tuning in has likely seen at LEAST one of these. Personally, I'm glad it was NOT rehashed here and we're able to get on to traveling some new ground.
If this were a comedy, he could have just said, "I've seen this movie." But it's a drama that needs to stand on its own.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Yes, if I were to actually wake up during a situation like this, I would try to contact people. How do we know he didn't? Just because we didn't see it happen doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are things in storytelling that you just don't need to elaborate on.
As I said in my initial Post, the episode was paced for grownups. I don't see why they couldn't have included a montage of him trying all the things I mentioned. How long would it have taken? 30 seconds? As it is, aside from maybe fashion or car models, there's nothing to say this story couldn't have taken place in 2000, 1990, 1980....

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
There seemed to be a fair amount of time compression in the scenes between him waking up and him leaving the hospital; he was a lot surer on his feet when he found the exit. He may have tried numerous computers and radios and TVs and cell phones, I don't think the viewer needs to be shown all of that. As for the storytelling, I think it was more effective how it was done, leaving the audience in the dark until the situation could be dramatically related first-hand by the survivor. Those retelling scenes were some of the best, IMO.
He wouldn't have learned anything, except that the situation was Apocalyptically bad, which was kind of the point. Again, maybe there will be restored scenes on the DVD. But, to me, it seemed odd that he wasn't desperate to find someone or get information.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 02:33 PM   #152
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
He wouldn't have learned anything, except that the situation was Apocalyptically bad, which was kind of the point. Again, maybe there will be restored scenes on the DVD. But, to me, it seemed odd that he wasn't desperate to find someone or get information.
It might have enhanced the dream-like quality of it all. You know how sometimes a dream gets weird but you sort of roll along with it accepting it? Maybe I'm reaching there but it seemed to highlight just how overwhelming the situation was that he didn't even question it but sort of just absorbed it.

Not knocking what you're saying but offering another possible reason not to show it.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 04:04 PM   #153
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Rick was desperate to find someone: his wife Lori and his son Carl. Everything else is just background noise until he finds them.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 04:13 PM   #154
TheBrew
Vice Admiral
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Location: Fox Lady
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

I thought that it was simply fantastic and I am looking forward to the rest of the season.
__________________
Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 06:39 PM   #155
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral
 
Zachary Smith's Avatar
 
Location: Lost somewhere in space
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Because watching a person try one dead phone or one dead computer after another makes for RIVETING viewing, right?
That's right. It's a great way to build suspense and escalate fear.
I don't think you're going to generate much suspense when every one in the audience and every other character in the story is very aware of the nature of the situation. I think what you're really searching for here is fulfillment of a need on your part for validation of the situation, which isn't the point of the story here. "Night of the Living Dead" told that story. Both versions of "Dawn of the Dead" touched on the advent of the Living Dead. "The Walking Dead" is not about the zombie apocalypse and how it unfolded but, rather, it is about how otherwise sane and reasonable people react to and behave under conditions which are not sane and/or reasonable. It's fair that you wanted to see this story and your criticism is certainly valid from your point of view. After all, story-telling is a subjective enterprise. I think the story-tellers, in this instance made a decision that the audience has SEEN the unfolding of the zombie-apocalypse in numerous other variants and they made an artistic decision to abbreviate the part MOST familiar to audiences and get on to covering new ground. It's a choice I agree with here. Conversely, in the film "Diary of the Dead" I felt the characters easy acceptance and seeming overall QUICK familiarity with the concept of zombies to be incredible and unrealistic. "The Walking Dead" side-stepped this by virtue of having only the single character be in unfamiliar territory and it seems entirely reasonable that a lot of the details were filled in off-screen after the on-screen summary we saw him given. I think this was efficient and effective story-telling which allowed a quick move forward onto new ground from a familiar premise.


[QUOTE=RJDiogenes;4505430]
Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
I'm happy they didn't dwell on this aspect. Everyone has been familiar with the basic initial play-out of a zombie-apocalypse since "Night of the Living Dead" in 1968. We've SEEN the origin of the event story--SEVERAL times in SEVERAL movies. Anyone familiar enough with the concept of zombies to bother tuning in has likely seen at LEAST one of these. Personally, I'm glad it was NOT rehashed here and we're able to get on to traveling some new ground.
If this were a comedy, he could have just said, "I've seen this movie." But it's a drama that needs to stand on its own.
It's a drama that operates initially on a familiar premise. It needs to be satisfying and appealing to its target audience, many of whom have already asked previously, "are there any new zombie stories to tell"? "The Walking Dead" doesn't exist in a vacuum. It is a genre piece with appeal to a certain audience demographic and it therefore carries with it the baggage of all variations that have come before it. It is the story of THESE particular characters within the frame-work of a world we've seen before. As I said, I'm glad this was not a rehash of "Night of the Living Dead" because, how many times DO we really need to see that story told? It was done right the first time and, frankly, rarely done right since--even by Romero. This series is an expansion of that universe.
__________________
OHHhhhhh . . . the pain . . . the pain . . .

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 06:50 PM   #156
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
"The Walking Dead" is not about the zombie apocalypse and how it unfolded but, rather, it is about how otherwise sane and reasonable people react to and behave under conditions which are not sane and/or reasonable.
Well said. In fact, "The Walking Dead" as the title doesn't even refer to the zombies but rather to the survivors themselves.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 06:59 PM   #157
What's his face
Rear Admiral
 
What's his face's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

I saw it, loved it, will tune in next time.
Question: Why is it that no one in zombie apocalypse movies/shows has ever heard of a zombie or seen a zombie movie? Why does the idea of zombies coming to life sound so foreign to them?

If there was a real-life zombie apocalypse, everyone would know what to do and where to aim their guns, knowing not to get bitten, and the whole thing would be over in a couple of days!
What's his face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 07:48 PM   #158
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post

That would probably be true if the only way to create a zombie was to have someone infected by an existing zombie. But it is also established in the comics that


Currently, on average 146,357 people die each day. Therefore, it would appear that every day would bring at least a few tens of thousand new zombies.
True. But...

Yeah, but I'm thinking that you are always going to have a certain percentage of people who
.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 08:57 PM   #159
Peter the Younger
Commodore
 
Peter the Younger's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

What's his face wrote: View Post
I saw it, loved it, will tune in next time.
Question: Why is it that no one in zombie apocalypse movies/shows has ever heard of a zombie or seen a zombie movie? Why does the idea of zombies coming to life sound so foreign to them?

If there was a real-life zombie apocalypse, everyone would know what to do and where to aim their guns, knowing not to get bitten, and the whole thing would be over in a couple of days!
I've never heard it specifically articulated, but really it's one of core rules of zombie fiction: in those realities, George a. Romero was never born; hence, there is no such thing as zombie movies.
__________________
All these arguments have happened before, and all these arguments will happen again.


Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 11:28 PM   #160
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It might have enhanced the dream-like quality of it all. You know how sometimes a dream gets weird but you sort of roll along with it accepting it? Maybe I'm reaching there but it seemed to highlight just how overwhelming the situation was that he didn't even question it but sort of just absorbed it.

Not knocking what you're saying but offering another possible reason not to show it.
True, he did seem pretty zoned out-- understandable after being in a coma and then waking up to Zombie Apocalypse. It would also explain his slowness in questioning other survivor guy.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Rick was desperate to find someone: his wife Lori and his son Carl. Everything else is just background noise until he finds them.
True, and I understand that. But my observation applies to the whole show, not just the opening sequence. Why didn't he try the phones or the Internet at the police station? Wouldn't their systems be independent of the civilian systems in case of emergency? And why didn't they ever check cars for satellite radio? Even if the whole area was blacked out, satellite radio would still be on the air-- unless the whole country is blacked out. That would have made for a very ominous moment.

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
I don't think you're going to generate much suspense when every one in the audience and every other character in the story is very aware of the nature of the situation. I think what you're really searching for here is fulfillment of a need on your part for validation of the situation, which isn't the point of the story here.
Well, maybe not, but given that this was written and presented as adult drama and not just a shoot-'em-in-the-head movie, I think establishing the situation is important. They actually did a pretty good job of it. They spent plenty of time on Rick's reaction to the situation; they didn't rush through it and gave it proper depth and respect. That's what makes it seem like an oversight to me. If it was the type of show to rush through the preliminaries just to get to teh Kewl Zombie Action, I would have just shrugged it off.

Now let's talk about why he was running around in his hospital gown instead of getting his clothes out of the closet.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 05:32 AM   #161
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

^Yea, in his situation, the minute I saw what the hospital was like outside my room, I would have gotten my clothes.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 08:15 AM   #162
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

And in the comic he DOES get dressed before he leaves his room.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 10:53 PM   #163
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Heh. This is kind of funny. I went looking on On Demand to see if AMC had Walking Dead available. Sure enough, they do, and they also have the first chapter of a Motion Comic, adapting the actual book. And, sure enough, he does get dressed.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 11:36 PM   #164
caisson2delta
Captain
 
caisson2delta's Avatar
 
Location: The South of Florida
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

I really enjoyed this new show. The production values were top notch, I thought the actors were very good, and it seemed more like it was focusing on the survivors than the zombies. I look forward to following this program and hope it lasts. Considering the success and obvious revenue of these AMC originals, might they consider something Trek based, in the future?
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2010, 02:14 AM   #165
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

caisson2delta wrote: View Post
Considering the success and obvious revenue of these AMC originals, might they consider something Trek based, in the future?
Nope. CBS owns the tv rights to the franchise.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
frank darabont, horror, robert kirkman, the walking dead, twd, zombies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.