Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 1 2010, 03:41 PM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Title of new "Mission: Impossible" movie announced

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Part of the problem is people are starting to look down upon "numbered sequels" because so many of them have been crap, no matter the franchise.
Ahh, there's the recency illusion again, thinking people are just "starting" to hold an attitude that's been around for a long time. Mocking numbered sequels has been part of the culture for decades. For instance, the gag about Jaws 19 in Back to the Future Part II, a film that came out 21 years ago (1989). Also in '89 (or maybe '90) Alien Nation, a show set in the near future of 1997, had a character refer in turn to having seen Back to the Future Part VI and saying it wasn't very good. (Although, unlike most not-recent-at-all "recent" trends, this one doesn't stretch back too far, since numbered sequels didn't really catch on until the '70s.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 05:11 PM   #47
Aragorn
Admiral

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 05:29 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten Rocky XXXVIII. Like Jaws 19, that's from a numbered sequel itself, Airplane II: The Sequel from 1982, predating my examples by years. Thanks for bolstering my case for me!

Old December 27 2010, 11:42 AM   #49
Aragorn
Admiral

Looks like Ving Rhames might not be appearing in this movie after all. You know how actors usually get pay increases with sequels or the longer a TV show runs (which is how someone like Noah Wylie can make a lot of money on ER but not even sniff a fraction of that salary doing any other projects)? It's a number Rhames was quoted as saying, but if $7.7 million is what he's actually demanding, I don't see why they would give it to him.

"I live a very simple life. If I'm supposed to make 7.7 million US dollars and they're offering me three, I don't know if that's going to work. I did the last one for more than three million, there's no misunderstanding - it's 7.7 million or no!"
Not sure what other movies he's be getting $3 million for (definitely not for the straight-to-DVD Death Race 2). Even Cruise is taking a pay cut from Mission: Impossible III.

Last edited by Aragorn; December 27 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old December 27 2010, 12:17 PM   #50
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Kelso wrote: View Post
I'll just call it MI4
Will the 5th and 6th movies be based mostly in the UK?

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 03:02 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Not sure what other movies he's be getting $3 million for (definitely not for the straight-to-DVD Death Race 2). Even Cruise is taking a pay cut from Mission: Impossible III.
Okay, if Rhames doesn't come back, maybe they can offer Maggie Q more money and get her to come back.

Old December 27 2010, 05:16 PM   #52
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re Rhames: What a dumbass. Doesn't he think that in a movie where Tom feckin' Cruise is taking a paycut, maybe he ought to set his sights a bit lower? I mean $3m is still a lot of money, considering that his presence or absence in the movie is unlikely to change its intake at the box office.

Unless, of course, he has a particularly large family.
Old December 27 2010, 06:00 PM   #53
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
His IMDb bio says that he and his wife have three children. Largish, but not "particularly large," I guess.

Old December 27 2010, 08:42 PM   #54
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I actually prefer real titles to numbers. To my mind, CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES or THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN are much more memorable (and fun) than, say, PoTA IV or FRANKENSTEIN 2: THE BRIDE.
Old December 28 2010, 08:25 AM   #55
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
His IMDb bio says that he and his wife have three children. Largish, but not "particularly large," I guess.
Not by Irish standards.
Old December 29 2010, 01:37 AM   #56
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Though being Ving Rhames, his children are all probably large.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I actually prefer real titles to numbers. To my mind, CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES or THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN are much more memorable (and fun) than, say, PoTA IV or FRANKENSTEIN 2: THE BRIDE.
Then again, I haven't seen any of the Bourne movies yet and I can never figure out which one is which (without looking it up, of course).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2010, 03:48 AM   #57
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I don't know the order of the Sherlock Holmes stories by heart, but how boring would it be if they were called "Sherlock Holmes 2," "Sherlock Holmes 3," etc. instead of "A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Adventure of the Red-Headed League," etc.? A good title is an important part of the creative process, and of the promotional process. It's the introduction to your story, and it's worth putting some care into the first impression. Numbered-sequel titles are just lazy and soulless.

Old December 30 2010, 09:58 AM   #58
Aragorn
Admiral

It could be worse. The studios could make a prequel to Death Race and call it Death Race 2, or a prequel to The Scorpion King and call it The Scorpion King 2. Oh wait....