Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 10 2011, 07:27 PM   #1081
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Christopher wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
There was the Ras/ Ducard amalgam and Ras not being Arabic as he was in the comics.
I don't recall Ra's being established in the comics as Arabic. What I recall is that his ethnicity was deliberately left ambiguous, that "Ra's al Ghul" was a title he adopted. True, I do seem to recall that Birth of the Demon showed him living in an Arab community when he became the man he is, but I think it was stated or at least hinted that he came from somewhere else.
I always thought given his Arabic Name, the whole Assassin angle and the immortality that Ra's was implied to be the old man of the mountain and the league to be the descendants of the historical assassins.
Old April 10 2011, 07:45 PM   #1082
Christopher
Writer

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
I always thought given his Arabic Name, the whole Assassin angle and the immortality that Ra's was implied to be the old man of the mountain and the league to be the descendants of the historical assassins.
His name is an adopted title. It's actually the Arabic name of the star Beta Persei, which we know by the Anglicized form Algol. It's not an Arabic personal name.

I checked his Wikipedia biography, and it claims that he was born to a band of nomads somewhere in Arabia according to Birth of the Demon, although they lived near a city whose inhabitants' ancestors had come from China, and the DC Database claims his father is a character called the Sensei, who's Asian, though his specific ethnicity is unclear (he has a Japanese name but is said to be from Hong Kong).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2011, 07:48 PM   #1083
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Yep the Sensei has recently appeared in "Batman" as part of a current arc. He was also used in the "Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2011, 10:12 PM   #1084
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

The Dark Knight Rises adds more cast members. Actors Daniel Sunjata (Rescue Me), Diego Klattenhoff (Lucky Number Slevin) and Burn Gorman (Torchwood) are joining the cast.

Sunjata is rumored to be playing a special forces operative and Klattenhoff is rumored to be playing a rookie cop. Gorman's role is unspecified.
Old April 12 2011, 10:43 PM   #1085
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Sunjata looks more like how I'd expect Bane to look based on his pseudo-heritage. I can't help but wonder what inspired Nolan to cast Josh Pence. He just came off a role in a very high profile movie, but he was basically a body double in it...hardly a standout performance.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2011, 11:03 PM   #1086
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
Sunjata looks more like how I'd expect Bane to look based on his pseudo-heritage. I can't help but wonder what inspired Nolan to cast Josh Pence. He just came off a role in a very high profile movie, but he was basically a body double in it...hardly a standout performance.
He looks very similar to what I would imagine a younger Liam Neeson would look like. If he's only in flashbacks, he probably doesn't have a lot of screen-time so his role is probably minimal yet pivotal at best.
Old April 13 2011, 12:04 AM   #1087
JD
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
The Dark Knight Rises adds more cast members. Actors Daniel Sunjata (Rescue Me), Diego Klattenhoff (Lucky Number Slevin) and Burn Gorman (Torchwood) are joining the cast.

Sunjata is rumored to be playing a special forces operative and Klattenhoff is rumored to be playing a rookie cop. Gorman's role is unspecified.
Cool, I really like both of those shows, and the characters those actor's play(ed) in them.
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 05:34 PM   #1088
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
Ironically, he was doubling an actor who nearly was Batman (Arnie Hammer, who would have been Batman in the Justice League movie that never was).
Old April 13 2011, 05:38 PM   #1089
Jetfire

I thought Armie Hammer was gonna be Superman in a JL movie?

[edit] I remember a story where Armie Hammer said the next Superman was going to be middle aged for Snyder's movie and then they casted Henry Cavill.
Old April 13 2011, 06:06 PM   #1090
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Jetfire wrote: View Post
I thought Armie Hammer was gonna be Superman in a JL movie?
Armie Hammer was Batman, D.J. Cotrona was Superman, Common was John Stewart, and I believe Adam Brody was Wally West. There were a few other casting choices made, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Anyway, the movie was cast and the script was written. George Miller was ready to move forward until Warner Bros. decided to let Nolan's series run its course.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 06:35 PM   #1091
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

George Miller's Justice League film was very close to happening. The script wasn't half-bad, either.
Old April 13 2011, 07:43 PM   #1092
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The script wasn't bad and had elements of The OMAC Project in it.

I like the recent casting for "The Dark Knight Rises". I wonder when Marion Cotillard is going to be officially announced if at all. I keep reading and hearing that she's basically locked in as Talia.

Old April 13 2011, 10:36 PM   #1093
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If those rumors are true this film is turning into an Inception reunion.

Now all we need is Ellen Page as Batgirl.
Old April 13 2011, 10:59 PM   #1094
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Well it's not. She's already in James Gunn's Super raping Rain Wilson apparently.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 11:11 PM   #1095
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

How many times are people going to keep bringing up the "Inception" cast? Sigh. It's getting old now.