New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 28 2011, 08:01 PM   #991
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Cary Elwes!
Old March 29 2011, 04:33 PM   #992
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

The Hero Complex reports that Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas will be producing a reinvention of Batman after The Dark Knight Rises. The article also mentions that Warner Bros. wishes to produce a Justice League film as soon as 2013.
Old March 29 2011, 04:35 PM   #993
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Reinvention? I thought he'd be done after TDKR. And revisiting JL eh? Armie Hammer back as Bruce?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 04:57 PM   #994
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Interesting.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 07:20 PM   #995
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Nolan's Batman would have to reinvented in order to fit into a Justice League universe, one in which aliens, magic, and super powers were everyday occurances.
Old March 29 2011, 07:56 PM   #996
Caliburn24
Commodore

Drew McWeeny over at Hitfix has his own opinion on the rumored 2013 JL movie, I share his doubts. It is logistically impossible that it will happen in 2013.

"Superman" is a legal landmine for Warner Bros., and their attention is focused right now on just making one movie with the characters that works, something they haven't been able to do in 30 years. There are all sorts of issues that are involved in which characters they can or can't use, and right now, they're just hoping they make one movie with Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder that reminds audiences of what they love about Superman in the first place. That is a huge priority for the studio.

2012 will also see the wrap-up to Nolan's "Batman" films, and again… the studio's got a lot riding on the film, and they're taking care to give Nolan what he wants and to make him happy. He's spoken before about how he doesn't really see his version of Batman existing in a world with lots of other costumed heroes, and when you look at just the trailer for "Green Lantern," it appears that Warner is using that film to establish a very different type of comic-book universe. My guess is that "Green Lantern" is the first stepping stone on a long path to a possible "Justice League" movie down the road, but when I tell you that it won't be released in 2013, that's not guesswork. That's just a simple logistical truth.

Before they can bring Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and The Flash and more of their iconic heroes together, they are going to have to set a tone that works for all of those characters, and then they're going to have wait for Nolan to finish with Batman so they can establish a different take on the character. Without seeing what Snyder has planned for Superman, it's impossible to guess if his film would be able to branch into a crossover film, but I can confidently say that they aren't planning to make two movies with that character within a year of each other. With either of those characters, frankly. It's just not happening.

And yet, because that showed up The LA Times, we're going to see hundreds of stories today that breathlessly announce it as a done deal. And if people would just think about the likelihood of Warner rushing into something as big as "Justice League" after already having a similar film blow up in their faces not so long ago, they'd realize that it doesn't make any sense. Before you ever see a "Justice League" film, you're going to have to see a successful screen version of "The Flash" and NBC's going to have to put a bullet in that insane "Wonder Woman" TV show they're going to spend too much money on and cancel quickly, and they're going to have to establish that some of the second tier DC characters actually work as movie characters, and so far, none of that has happened.

2013? Not a chance. Count on it.
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...pening-in-2013
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:09 PM   #997
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

What about 2014?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:13 PM   #998
JD
Admiral

Personally, I really think the only way a JL movie could really work would be if they went the Marvel route and established the universe, and characters in their own movies before bringing them together as a team. IMO it would be to complicated to try to introduce all of the different heroes in one 1.5-3hr movie.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:27 PM   #999
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

JD wrote: View Post
Personally, I really think the only way a JL movie could really work would be if they went the Marvel route and established the universe, and characters in their own movies before bringing them together as a team.
I don't see that happening. The Incredible Hulk was a financial disappointment, and Iron Man 2 made less domestically than its predecessor did. I guarantee you that if Thor and Captain America under-perform, you'll immediately see The Avengers re-branded to something like Iron Man and the Avengers. The shared Marvel film universe has been incredibly ambitious, but it's a risky move for any studio to take: Basically, it's six movies within a shared universe in the span of four years. With Justice League, you'd be looking at a new Batman movie, Snyder's Superman, this summer's Green Lantern, and then new films of Wonder Woman and The Flash. That'd be a lot of money for Warner to shell out.

Green Lantern is the test balloon. If it pops and bombs (which looks somewhat possible), Warner Bros. will say "fuck it," have Snyder's Superman next year, reboot Batman in 2014 and do a Justice League movie that introduces Flash and Wonder Woman in its own screentime.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:33 PM   #1000
Christopher
Writer

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Nolan's Batman would have to reinvented in order to fit into a Justice League universe, one in which aliens, magic, and super powers were everyday occurances.
Perhaps. Then again, Batman: The Animated Series was set in a pretty realistic world, aside from the odd bits of sci-fi like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, and the Clock King's time-dilation device. But it was later established as being part of a broader continuity that included all the fanciful stuff in Superman, Justice League, and Static Shock, from supertechnology to aliens to parallel universes to out-and-out magic. Case in point, Zatanna appeared in B:TAS purely as a stage magician, but by JLU she had actual supernatural powers. So we were expected to accept the retcon that the DCAU had always included such fanciful elements, but they hadn't been a part of life in Gotham City, or had been mostly hidden away. (My personal retcon there is that maybe the Green Lantern Corps protected Earth from alien intrusion for a while, but once Superman went public, that effort became moot, and Earth became more aware of what was really out there. Not sure how to explain the rise of magic phenomena, unless maybe Superman's presence drew more attention from the mystic forces.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:09 PM   #1001
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I think a Bats/Supes film is the best way to go. If it works, then THINK about a JLA film. But, really, I just think there's too much to fit into one movie.
Old March 29 2011, 09:23 PM   #1002
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

"Superman" is a legal landmine for Warner Bros., and their attention is focused right now on just making one movie with the characters that works, something they haven't been able to do in 30 years. There are all sorts of issues that are involved in which characters they can or can't use, and right now, they're just hoping they make one movie with Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder that reminds audiences of what they love about Superman in the first place. That is a huge priority for the studio.
Yep. This should motivate Warner to settle the lawsuits pronto, as in real soon, before the script is etched in stone, in order to give the Superman franchise its best chance for success.

2012 will also see the wrap-up to Nolan's "Batman" films, and again… the studio's got a lot riding on the film, and they're taking care to give Nolan what he wants and to make him happy. He's spoken before about how he doesn't really see his version of Batman existing in a world with lots of other costumed heroes, and when you look at just the trailer for "Green Lantern," it appears that Warner is using that film to establish a very different type of comic-book universe.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand that any perceived clash in tone been Nolan's Batman trilogy and Green Lantern amounts to any reasonable issue. Far more important issues would seem to be finding a set of actors that work well together in an ensemble cast and a story that makes reasonable use of all its characters. Focusing on whether Gotham City, Coast City, Star City, Metropolis, etc. plausibly belong in the same fictional country, before having a compelling story involving characters people care about, is like trying to build the perfect sets for a Star Trek fan film without having word one written of the first shooting script. It's putting the cart before the horse.
My guess is that "Green Lantern" is the first stepping stone on a long path to a possible "Justice League" movie down the road,
Frankly, I'm surprised Warner made a Green Lantern standalone film, given his relative obscurity as far as the public is concerned. I hope GL succeeds. Then again, maybe the relative obscurity works in GL's favor, as it should allow the movie to more easily dictate the depiction, than if viewers collectively bring in a lot of conflicting preconceived notions.

Maybe Timby's right, that GL must be the trial balloon for JL.

Before they can bring Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and The Flash and more of their iconic heroes together, they are going to have to set a tone that works for all of those characters, and then they're going to have wait for Nolan to finish with Batman so they can establish a different take on the character.
I don't agree. Why does the take on Batman, as a character, have to be different? Why should the heroes be homogeneous in tone? Can't you have a boy scout (Supes) team up with a gritty rebel (Bats) and transcend their differences for a worthy common cause? Can't the different cities in the universe each be like different kingdoms: dystopic Gotham, shiny Metropolis, etc.

Before you ever see a "Justice League" film, you're going to have to see a successful screen version of "The Flash" and NBC's going to have to put a bullet in that insane "Wonder Woman" TV show they're going to spend too much money on and cancel quickly, and they're going to have to establish that some of the second tier DC characters actually work as movie characters, and so far, none of that has happened.
I don't agree; it would be a waste of time, because there are so many second tier characters. Do we need a Green Arrow and/or Black Canary film first? How about Red Tornado Rises? What about a whodunit featuring the Elongated Man? More to the point, must we wait for Wonder Woman: The Movie?

We've reached the day when SFX technology is no longer an issue in the depiction of any metahuman character. How much longer must we wait? A much better strategy, IMO is simply to populate a JL movie with the second tier characters in the first place. Pick a few of these, the biggies, and make them primary characters along with Supes, Bats, and GL.

Then, make the JL film itself be the trial balloon for the entire universe of DC characters, each of which in theory could be individually spun off.

Didn't X2 work really well?
Old March 29 2011, 09:45 PM   #1003
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Green Lantern is considered obscure? Honestly, aside from Batman and Superman, I'd put GL, Flash, and Wonder Woman on essentially the same level. To say that is obscure is to say DC only has two comics worth creating movies for.
Old March 29 2011, 09:55 PM   #1004
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Green Lantern is considered obscure?
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
given his relative obscurity as far as the public is concerned.
I did not say obscure, I said "relatively obscure". To Superman and Batman, GL is indeed relatively obscure.

Honestly, aside from Batman and Superman, I'd put GL, Flash, and Wonder Woman on essentially the same level.
I would agree, I think my post reflected this belief too. And yet, Warner did not start with a Wonder Woman movie as the trial balloon. WW and Flash have both had stand alone live action TV series. No, for the next movie, they went to a character that never had a stand alone live action TV series. I stand by the characterization of GL as relatively obscure.

To say that is obscure is to say DC only has two comics worth creating movies for.
I don't believe anything I said implied this.
Old March 29 2011, 10:02 PM   #1005
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, my point is that WW, Flash, and GL are all at the same level. They just decided to go with GL. I figure the concern for one (as a standalone film) exists for all three.