RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,693
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 774
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2011, 10:17 PM   #976
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

^ Yeah this is what most of us are doing anyways. It's a natural reaction to do so with such a lack of information. You can only discuss with what you're given...and since the studio seems to not want to give anything away right now (naturally) we can only use the comics as a reference.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:45 PM   #977
Christopher
Writer

Or we can just accept that we don't know anything and wait patiently for an answer, rather than imagining we have to make something up to fill the gap.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:46 PM   #978
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or we can just accept that we don't know anything and wait patiently for an answer, rather than imagining we have to make something up to fill the gap.
That would be ridiculous. Not even journalists do that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:47 PM   #979
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Indeed.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:57 PM   #980
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

But this is the Internet! And the Internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS!
Old March 28 2011, 03:42 AM   #981
flemm
Fleet Captain

Any thoughts or rumors out there on the world wide web regarding the possibility of Ra's al Ghul himself actually returning, via Lazurus Pit or otherwise?

The title of the film does suggest a sort of resurrection theme, potentially. Shadows and deception and all that. I didn't find the portrayal of the character in BB to be particularly satisfying, so I find the idea somewhat intriguing.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 03:46 AM   #982
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Christopher wrote: View Post
*Looks around at the internet*...Yeh sorry that doesn't quite work for us
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 04:02 AM   #983
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

flemm wrote: View Post
Any thoughts or rumors out there on the world wide web regarding the possibility of Ra's al Ghul himself actually returning, via Lazurus Pit or otherwise?

The title of the film does suggest a sort of resurrection theme, potentially. Shadows and deception and all that. I didn't find the portrayal of the character in BB to be particularly satisfying, so I find the idea somewhat intriguing.
I don't recall seeing a body. I don't recall there being one ever discussed on screen either.

How many times in the comics, movies, and stories in general has that sort of "demise" turned out not really to have happened?

It's up to the writers. If they want him to have successfully jumped out at the last second, they can get away with it. And as he monologues about it to Batman, the appropriate smirk on his face will make it plausible.

Or, the League of Shadows can, say, acupuncture his ass out of a death coma.

No Lazurus Pit is needed, which seems like it would be even more far-fetched in a movie than either of the above. IMO, introducing the Lazurus Pit into the films would jump the shark. Notice that in BB, the League is of Shadows, rather than of Assassins, so it operates in a different continuity from any comic.
Old March 28 2011, 05:26 AM   #984
flemm
Fleet Captain

There would certainly be plenty of ways to do it, with possibly the most straight-forward of all being that Liam Neeson's character was simply not, in fact, Ra's al Ghul. I agree that a Lazurus Pit seems unlikely in the Nolanverse, though I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

I was more specifically curious as to whether the possibility had already been widely considered on the interwebs, as I have not been following the chatter on this particular film very closely.

EDIT: I see that it has come up a time or two, unsurprisingly.
Old March 28 2011, 05:29 AM   #985
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I'm sure they won't but, maybe introduce Lazarus as a steroid-like serum similar to Venom which could resurrect Ras and make Bane, Bane. All in a fairly realistic tone of course.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 05:32 AM   #986
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

flemm wrote: View Post
There would certainly be plenty of ways to do it, with possibly the most straight-forward of all being that Liam Neeson's character was simply not, in fact, Ra's al Ghul.
I like this idea: a double decoy!
Old March 28 2011, 05:35 AM   #987
flemm
Fleet Captain

Well, yeah, basically we have no reason to believe him anymore than the original guy who identified himself as Ra's. It always felt like a bit of a cheap twist to me, but it gets better if it is not really a twist, but just the modus operandi of the League of Shadows.
Old March 28 2011, 02:04 PM   #988
Anwar
Vice Admiral

But then this new guy wouldn't have any connection to Bruce, since we never saw him in BB and he never met Bruce in the first place. He lacks the connection Ducard/Ghul had.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 02:05 PM   #989
Christopher
Writer

I could certainly see "Ra's al Ghul" -- "Head of the Demon" -- being the hereditary title of the leader of the League of Shadows. And if it were passed down from leader to leader, that could be a realistic interpretation of the idea of Ra's as an immortal -- there's no single individual who comes back from the dead, but as the title is passed on, it breeds the myth that the Head of the Demon cannot die. Kinda like The Phantom, only evil.

I'm not saying that's what I'd actually want to see in the new movie -- frankly, the fewer reminders of Begins, the better. I'm just saying that in the abstract, it's an interesting thought.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 05:44 PM   #990
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, I like the idea of Ra's al Ghul being a title rather than an individual. However, if the individual with the title is not Liam Neeson, there's no point having him in the movie.

Although there are two thoughts. One is to come full circle (in which case, the League of Shadows or Talia al Ghul makes sense). The other is to keep it Gotham focused, in which case, making this movie rely too heavily on the first would make the Dark Knight seem like an unfortunate outlier.