RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,324
Posts: 5,352,794
Members: 24,617
Currently online: 648
Newest member: CaptXeno

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 25 2011, 09:17 PM   #586
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ I think we could see Venom weaponized and as a street drug that is growing rampantly out of control. This is being distributed by the Mob which Bane is attempting to rally under his control. We've seen with the first movie drugs as a plot device so I don't think it would be that crazy to use it again.
That would be my best guess too which is why I brought up the ideas of Bane being a drug czar.

I just wonder is Hardy going to play Bane as South American?
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:20 PM   #587
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

^ Furthering my Bane thought...as others have suggested I agree that the Nolans and Goyer will play up the intellectual side of Bane who has a fascination with Batman. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw elements of Hugo Strange in the character as he systematically attempts to "break the bat" maybe not physically but perhaps mentally. As Spock is fond of being quoted as saying...there are always possibilities. This is why I like the idea of Bane being used.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:24 PM   #588
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ Furthering my Bane thought...as others have suggested I agree that the Nolans and Goyer will play up the intellectual side of Bane who has a fascination with Batman. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw elements of Hugo Strange in the character as he systematically attempts to "break the bat" maybe not physically but perhaps mentally. As Spock is fond of being quoted as saying...there are always possibilities. This is why I like the idea of Bane being used.
Another reason the drug czar works for me is, much like how cops use drug dealers & users as informants. I can see Bane using addicts as his information highway in exchange for Venom.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:33 PM   #589
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

exodus wrote: View Post
I just wonder is Hardy going to play Bane as South American?
There are quite a lot of very white people in South America, so even if he doesn't want to tan and dye and throw on an accent, he can still be from just about anywhere down there. Or just have him be British and raised in the jungle by biologist/botanist parents. His origin isn't very definitive.

Hugo Strange was the one who originally gave him the Venom wasn't he? Perhaps they're both going to show up.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:37 PM   #590
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Aragorn wrote: View Post
The Dark Knight Must Die(t)

Anyone get this vague reference to title censorship of another movie?
I feel like I should know what you mean. But all I can think of is how Tomorrow Never Dies was a typo for Tomorrow Never Lies, but that's not censorship.


exodus wrote: View Post
Another reason the drug czar works for me is, much like how cops use drug dealers & users as informants. I can see Bane using addicts as his information highway in exchange for Venom.
Which would be rather a huge departure from the comics character, who, as I believe I mentioned, was initially a Venom addict and then kicked the habit and became a crusader against Venom and its dealers.


Venardhi wrote: View Post
There are quite a lot of very white people in South America, so even if he doesn't want to tan and dye and throw on an accent, he can still be from just about anywhere down there. Or just have him be British and raised in the jungle by biologist/botanist parents. His origin isn't very definitive.
Bane was born and raised in prison. A given nation's prisoners can come from all over.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:40 PM   #591
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Venardhi wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
I just wonder is Hardy going to play Bane as South American?
There are quite a lot of very white people in South America, so even if he doesn't want to tan and dye and throw on an accent, he can still be from just about anywhere down there. Or just have him be British and raised in the jungle by biologist/botanist parents. His origin isn't very definitive.
Hardy is already kinda olive in complexion anyway, so skin color wasn't an issue. Just the accent.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:43 PM   #592
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

How about another identity twist? Bane is actually Hugo Strange who used to be Talia but had gender reassignment surgery!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:47 PM   #593
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Christopher wrote: View Post


exodus wrote: View Post
Another reason the drug czar works for me is, much like how cops use drug dealers & users as informants. I can see Bane using addicts as his information highway in exchange for Venom.
Which would be rather a huge departure from the comics character, who, as I believe I mentioned, was initially a Venom addict and then kicked the habit and became a crusader against Venom and its dealers.
Where did I say he wouldn't be using?
I don't see where using the resources available to him for info is a departure from the character being a stratigist.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 09:48 PM   #594
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Bane was born and raised in prison. A given nation's prisoners can come from all over.
The character can exist fairly intact without that specific origin though. The parents thing was mostly just an example of how to get around his nationality. I would generally agree that any incarnation of Bane should have spent a fair amount of his young life in prison though.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 10:03 PM   #595
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

^ Agreed. "Knightfall" will probably serve as the source material reference for Bane but it's entirely possible that Nolan will tweak him where necessary .
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2011, 10:08 PM   #596
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I keep telling people about that performance and there have even been pics of it on the thread but they keep harping on about him not being bulky enough!
Well, I'll have to take your word for it, but I just meant that my initial reaction was one of surprise, not that I still think he can't do it.

And I do think that Nolan is likely to play up Bane's intellectual side more than his physical side, since after all we are talking about a Nolan film here. Do you really think the main villain in the climax of Nolan's Bat-trilogy would be someone who would only challenge Batman on a crude physical level? All his film foes to date -- Falcone, Scarecrow, Ra's, Joker, Two-Face -- have challenged him more on a level of intellect, emotion, and strategy than muscle power. I don't think that's likely to change. So I think that whether Hardy can meet the physical standards for the role is probably a rather unimportant question. I'm expecting Bane-as-mastermind rather than Bane-as-superthug.
Oh, I agree. But I think Hardy is capable of doing both. Like I say, in Bronson, he bulked up considerably but also played a real-life con of considerable charm and brains - who also happens to be a very dangerous, notorious prisoner. I think he evinced brains and charisma in Inception. And I know he's gotten great reviews for some of the UK tv and movie stuff I haven't seen.

I think, a bit like Liam Neeson's character in Begins, he will be portraying someone who is capable of matching Batman physically and mentally.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The Dark Knight Diets
The Dark Knight Must Die(t)

Anyone get this vague reference to title censorship of another movie?
The 1990 UK comedy The Pope Must Die was retitled The Pope Must Diet for the US market. Fortunately, Robbie Coltrane was playing the lead role, so the Diet reference at least made some sense.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
I just wonder is Hardy going to play Bane as South American?
There are quite a lot of very white people in South America, so even if he doesn't want to tan and dye and throw on an accent, he can still be from just about anywhere down there. Or just have him be British and raised in the jungle by biologist/botanist parents. His origin isn't very definitive.

Hugo Strange was the one who originally gave him the Venom wasn't he? Perhaps they're both going to show up.
When I saw him interviewed on The Jonathan Ross show last year, Hardy seemed to have some weird semi-Jamaican patios accent going on. I got the impression that he's a bit of a chameleon, that he got this accent from hanging around with friends of Jamaican extract. I can imagine him at least sounding like a South American.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 01:36 AM   #597
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Bane isn't even properly South American though is he? More like Caribbean or Central American?
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 03:10 AM   #598
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

The prison where Bane was born and raised was on the fictional Central American island of Santa Prisca.

By the way, Bane (and Santa Prisca) will be featured in this week's Young Justice episode, Friday at 7 Eastern on Cartoon Network.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 03:23 AM   #599
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

"Bannnnnneeeee!!!!!" Sorry. Couldn't resist.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 09:09 AM   #600
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Location: Jack Bauer
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

I wish you would have! ^^^ shudder!
__________________
"See you in another life, brotha." - Desmond David Hume - Lost
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, christopher nolan, the dark knight rises

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.