RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 507
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 27 2010, 04:10 PM   #46
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Also, no 3D for the film. Thank God for that!
QFT!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 04:16 PM   #47
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Also, The Riddler will NOT be the villain.

While the Joker stole the show in the second film, the film was about Bruce Wayne (and even Harvey Dent) more. Casting the Riddler could make the series too villain-centric.
Casting Tom Hardy as a villain (assuming that's what he's playing could also have that effect. He's become a real show-stealer.
Old October 27 2010, 04:22 PM   #48
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Too bad about the Riddler. I wanted to see as many of the classic villains as possible get re-imagined.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 04:25 PM   #49
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Also, I like the one comment from the article that everyone seemed to browse over: That we're getting a story focused on Bruce Wayne. As much as I loved The Dark Knight, I felt on some level that it really was a story about Harvey Two-Face, Gordon and the Joker and Batman was more of a supporting character in his own film. I want to see the focus back on Bruce Wayne, like Batman Begins. I'm glad that seems to be the case.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 04:29 PM   #50
thumbtack
Commodore

Shockingly stupid title. But at least the 3D fad has been laid to rest.
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 04:32 PM   #51
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

The Dark Knight Returns, not to confuse with Frank Millar's book, would have sufficed.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 04:48 PM   #52
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The article also mentions Mr. Freeze. It would have been nice to see the character appear briefly just like the Scarecrow did in The Dark Knight. I can imagine Batman taking down some guy who is wearing something that looks like a bomb squad suit, causing trouble with a homemade freezing spray gun contraption.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 05:09 PM   #53
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Regardless of the title, I'll be seeing this in theatre. Probably three times. Nolan makes the candy I want.
Old October 27 2010, 05:36 PM   #54
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I was going to call BS on this, but went to two sites that I trust - IGN and Batman on Film before I did so, and they both confirm it. Since it's been confirmed, I have to say that many of the more popular titles - Gotham City, The Batman, etc. - really don't fit the theme of the film as promised/teased by the ending of The Dark Knight, whereas this title, even though it's a bit more pedestrian and formulaic than either of the two previous titles, doesn't have that drawback.

Not using The Riddler as the villain - which is what many were expecting - does offset the selection of a rather pedestrian title, so i'm fine with it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Nolan and Co. select as a villain someone we - as an audience - aren't expecting. It would be great to see them once again tackle one of Batman's more obscure, lesser-known villains the way that they did with Batman Begins and the inclusion of Ras al Ghul.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 05:36 PM   #55
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Don't like the title at all. It screams of marketing attachment to TDK by mandate of the suits. Everyone was going to know this was the followup to the smash hit, having the nomencalture be similar was not necessary.

Not RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Having the last two films be "The Dark Knight," though, really does make "Batman Begins" feel like it doesn't even belong in this series.
Exactly. The idea that each movie might have a named association with a facet of the character appealed to me.

Caped Crusader or Shadow of the Bat would both have been a better fit.

Simple association of the name to the movie.
He began
He became a knight
He is the crusader or The city is under his shadow
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 05:49 PM   #56
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

To the people who are saying that this title makes Batman Begins feel out of place, I'm calling BS on you; each of the first two films deals with a particular theme that is reflected in its title; Batman Begins is the beginning of the story, not only from an in-universe perspective, but also form a real-world perspective in that it is a 'new' beginning for the Batman franchise; The Dark Knight's title reflects the darker nature of the film and the fact that, in-universe, Gotham has become a darker place with the rise of the mob and characters like the Joker. By the end of The Dark Knight, Batman had fallen - both of his own choice and out of necessity - meaning that there was only one logical track for the story of B3 to take: the story of his redemption/resurrection. There really aren't a whole lot of one-word titles out there that could reflect this that would still fit the Batman universe and mythos, both from the comics and as Nolan had re-imagined them. The Dark Knight Rises may be pedestrian - particularly in comparison to The Dark Knight and Batman Begins - but it really conveys the idea that this film will be about Batman's redemption, which is what The Dark Knight's ending hinted at.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 05:53 PM   #57
RoJoHen
Awesome

We get what the title means. It just makes the title of "Batman Begins" feel out of place amongst the other titles, not that the film itself no longer fits with the other films.
Old October 27 2010, 05:54 PM   #58
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

To those defending The Dark Knight Rises as a great title I call BS on you.
Your just so quick to defend it. Batman's 'rise' doesn't have to be reflected strictly in the title ala Begins.
See we can do it also.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 05:59 PM   #59
RoJoHen
Awesome

And to me, at least, "The Dark Knight Rises" sounds more like a subtitle that a main title. Though I really don't like subtitles, "Batman: The Dark Knight Rises" would make more sense to me.
Old October 27 2010, 05:59 PM   #60
Christopher
Writer

Saul's Eye wrote: View Post
Better than "The Caped Crusader" which sounds like it belongs to the 90s.
I'm curious why you'd associate that title with the '90s. I see it more as a product of the '60s and '70s. I think it fell out of use in the comics when they went darker.

The Dark Knight Rises, close to the Dark Knight Returns.
Now people are going to have trouble using TDKR as an acronym without confusing people.

GoldenPumpkin wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I was just going to say that Batman Begins was a lame title.
In retrospect, sure, but at the time it seemed appropriate and in line with what came before.
Well, structurally it was in line with previous titles, but conceptually it was intended more in opposition to previous movies. It was important to say right up front, in the clearest possible terms, that this was a new beginning and not a continuation of what Joel Schumacher did.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote