Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 20 2011, 02:59 PM   #466
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Bane was reduced to being the bodyguard for Poison Ivy which is probably why people have forgotten he was in the film and periodically would shout "BANE!!!!!!!!!!" when addressed directly.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 03:05 PM   #467
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
Eh, Bane and Catwoman are not two characters I'm terribly excited to see but "In Nolan we trust" as I said a few years back with the casting of TDK.
Bane could be a bit of a mix of Bane and Strange. Could be interesting.
Catwoman. I'm really curious to see how that character fits into things.
I think Bane will be a drug lord peddling Venom in Gotham.

Nolan's movies are about Batman as much as they are about the crime scene of Gotham City. Bane is going to have to do something more than just know who Batman is to be a serious threat. Besides, we've seen the result of "I know the Batman's identity!" in Dark Knight w/ Wayne's accountant. Nolan's not going to pull that card twice and as Bane's only angle. Selling a narcotic like Venom is a serious issue that would get Batman's attention. I'm pretty sure Bane will be a drug kingpin, Tom Hardy looks that part and plays it well.
Old January 20 2011, 03:09 PM   #468
Saul
Rear Admiral

Eh, Drug pusher doesn't interest me so much. Mad man with an obsession for hunting down, discovering and finally replacing Batman is more my cup. Batman needs a threat. A character of equel strenght of mind and body will be different to past villains.
Old January 20 2011, 03:25 PM   #469
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
Eh, Drug pusher doesn't interest me so much. Mad man with an obsession for hunting down, discovering and finally replacing Batman is more my cup. Batman needs a threat. A character of equel strenght of mind and body will be different to past villains.
A villian of no real purpose isn't Nolan's style.
He doesn't do dumb plots that don't develope into the over all bigger picture. Ra's, Scarecrow & Joker were all bigger threats to Gotham before they were threats to Batman.
Nolan's Batman is about Batman's connection to protecting his parents dream, Gotham City. Too get to Batman, you have to go attack Gotham. Bane will be something more than an obsessed lunatic wanting to replace Batman.
Old January 20 2011, 03:33 PM   #470
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I think with Batman's absence crime will rise and the city will throw itself into chaos, mirroring Knightfall. Perhaps we'll see vigilantes rise to take the place of Batman, like Catwoman. I see Bane as someone who would either be sought out to find Batman or someone who would take advantage of Batman's absence.
Old January 20 2011, 03:45 PM   #471
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Why Batman's absence? I don't think he's going to quit fighting crime just because the police hunts him now, too.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 03:47 PM   #472
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Why Batman's absence? I don't think he's going to quit fighting crime just because the police hunts him now, too.
I have a feeling Bruce will momentarily cease being Batman, either after being hounded by police and deciding to momentarily quit or after a serious confrontation with Bane. Something along those lines. Either way, now that he's wanted by the police, I don't think he's going to be THAT effective, and I think that means we're going to see more copycats and more vigilantes in the way of Catwoman to fill that void.
Old January 20 2011, 03:48 PM   #473
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Exactly.
He is a vigilante, right?
Old January 20 2011, 03:50 PM   #474
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I have a feeling Bruce will momentarily cease being Batman, either after being hounded by police and deciding to momentarily quit or after a serious confrontation with Bane. Something along those lines. Either way, now that he's wanted by the police, I don't think he's going to be THAT effective, and I think that means we're going to see more copycats and more vigilantes in the way of Catwoman to fill that void.
Hm, I actually expect him to be stronger than ever. Returned to a fully built batcave under the rebuilt Wayne Manor, has a new Batmobile, etc...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 03:51 PM   #475
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Exactly.
He is a vigilante, right?
I have a feeling the third film might deal with Batman being forced to give up the mantle or realizing he can't give it up. The Dark Knight dealt with Bruce hoping that Dent was someone to take his place. He doesn't want to be Batman forever. I think it would be really tragic and dark if the third film ended with Bane breaking him and then that's the end, but I don't think the ending will be that bleak. However, I think there'll be a portion of the film where Batman will be defeated, and then must rise again (hence the title).
Old January 20 2011, 03:54 PM   #476
exodus
Fleet Admiral

You're forgetting one thing, Rachel Dawes.
Her words in "Begins": "Evil thrives when the good people of Gotham do nothing." is what started him on his quest to being Batman. Now that she's dead, her words will ring in his ears and that won't allow him to stop being Batman.

I also don't think the title will be based on one specific moment but rather over all theme.
Nolan isn't so cliche.
Old January 20 2011, 03:56 PM   #477
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I was thinking that by forcing him underground they would be creating the opportunity to use "Matches" Malone but I doubt this. I can't see Bruce totally giving up being Batman, he was told by Alfred that he would need to be stronger...and that he could endure, he said so to Gordon in his little speech at the end of the second movie. It's just going to be a lot harder for him to operate now. I guess though I could also see him temporarily giving it up...but that would have defeated the purpose of the speech. It's just really hard to predict this movie without knowing the plot yet lol.

@Exodus...I agree. I have mentioned in the past (including a rather nice overview in one of these Dark Knight threads) that Rachel's death will still be on Bruce's mind. I think Nolan is going to keep that in mind when dealing with the love interest.

Old January 20 2011, 03:59 PM   #478
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
You're forgetting one thing, Rachel Dawes.
Her words in "Begins": "Evil thrives when the good people of Gotham do nothing." is what started him on his quest to being Batman. Now that she's dead, her words will ring in his ears and that won't allow him to stop being Batman.

I also don't think the title will be based on one specific moment but rather over all theme.
Nolan isn't so cliche.
Well, think of Bane, and Knightfall. Think of the end of The Dark Knight and how Batman was basically condemned and is now being hunted by the police. The title obviously refers to the fact that Batman will rise up from being seen as a menace and a "villain". I think at the end of the third film, Batman will be redeemed. I think redemption will be a big factor in the third film in terms of overall theme.
Old January 20 2011, 04:11 PM   #479
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
Theory: Any Catwoman costume will be far from the slick skin-tight plasti-leather of Michelle Pfiefer. Likely more like we've seen in recent comics. Leather pants, leath jacket, gloves, something to conceal her identity with a flare of something cat-tish. Nothing over-the-top, much more understated.

You know, for all the hatred of that movie and that costume - I so would.
Old January 20 2011, 04:13 PM   #480
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I also think "Rises" means that Bruce has fully accepted the fact that he will need to be Batman. Acceptance on his own, not being forced or doing this because he feels like he needs to do it. Begins was about Bruce becoming Batman, The Dark Knight was about the consequences about being Batman, and I believe Rises will be about accepting Batman (both Bruce and the city) and rising above these challenges.