Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 20 2011, 05:47 AM   #451
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
My mistake then. I must have misread that part of your post. I have been hoping for Taila since the rumors of her being in the film first started...though I fear those might be just rumors. Also Tom Hardy was reported about a month ago as not being the main villain in the film, not sure if that was true or not. So many rumors and not enough confirmation as far as I'm concerned.
It's all good.

Regarding Talia, she is one of the few Batman villains who makes sense in the role of female villain (which I do not believe is going to be filled by Selina/Catwoman; see below for why). If you take Talia out of the equation, there are very few other female Batman villains who would work as part of Nolan's universe, and I personally happen to believe that one of them - Harley Quinn - is someone that Nolan won't touch because she is very similar to The Joker.

People seem to be making the automatic assumption that Selina/Catwoman will feature in TDKR as a villain, but, if the IGN report that I mentioned is true, she is, in fact, not going to fill that role at all, and will, instead, serve as a 'stand-in' for Batman whose vigilante activities draw him back out of hiding; she can also function very well as the 'love interest' character mentioned in the reports about Nolan and Co. casting for two female leads (which, as mentioned, I am having a hard time believing were false).
Old January 20 2011, 05:48 AM   #452
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Anne Hathaway is Selina Kyle - The Dark Knight Rises

Selina started off as a villain...a thief really and has in recent years been a Batman ally and now is allied with Batman Incorporated. She's still a thief too.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 06:05 AM   #453
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@Digific I agree with your notions about Selina being the love interest and the villain at the same time. I referenced "Dark Victory" in my previous post. Bruce was dating Selina at the time while not having uncovered that she was Catwoman yet, in fact it would be some years before Bruce deduced her identity in this revised continuity. I don't think we're going to get a rehash of "Batman Returns" as some have been concerned with, that would be too easy to do. The Nolans and Goyer probably have something far more interesting in mind for us
I didn't say anything about Selina/Catwoman being both the villain and a love interest for Bruce in one; in fact, I was saying the opposite of that, since it's what seems to be the prevailing opinion/assumption at this point. If the IGN report I mentioned is in fact true, and the report about Nolan casting two female leads in TDKR is also true, then we're definitely looking at Selina/Catwoman filling the role of 'love interest' in addition to being a vigilante whose actions draw Batman back out of hiding, with another character filling the role of the female villain (which, as noted/mentioned, I'm fervently hoping is Talia).

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ I'm kind of surprised by your attitude regarding the addition of another high-profile actor to Nolan's franchise, since Hathaway is joining a cast that is already full of high-profile actors (Bale, Freeman, Caine, Oldman).
Maybe I should amend that. I mean adding high-profile actors. Having guys like Caine, Oldman, Freeman in prominent supporting roles is one thing.

Christian Bale was definitely known but wasn't a superstar yet. Bale became big because of Batman Begins. Heath Ledger was an Oscar nominee and definitely known but even he wasn't a superstar. He would have been if he hadn't of died. Aaron Eckhart wasn't well-known before he was cast. Katie Holmes was pretty well-known before the first movie but she wasn't a superstar movie actress.

Again, I could just be overreacting. But I remember when it was the it thing to add all these big-name actors to the next Batman movie back in the day and I think that was a disaster for the franchise. The franchise now doesn't have to add anymore big-time actors to the staring roles. Know what I'm saying?
You're right that they don't 'have' to cast high-profile actors in the film, but still find myself surprised by what you said since you seem to be making the assumption that Hathaway was cast purely because she's high-profile and not because she was the best actor for the role of Selina/Catwoman as Nolan and Co. have envisioned her.
My chief problem with the Hathaway casting is she doesn't strike me as the type for an action role. I don't think Anne Hathaway when I think of superhero film. I think they should have gotten an actress more suitable for an action movie. I could have seen her more as Harley Quinn. With that huge mouth and giant teeth, she looks like a female Joker.

Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong. I hope so.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 06:25 AM   #454
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Go check out Get Smart; the film, in addition to being freaking hillarious, more than proves that Hathaway can handle action.
Old January 20 2011, 06:47 AM   #455
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I've got so many things swirling around in my head right now... questions and theories...

Theory: Bane will be a hired assassin brought in by the desperate Gotham mob to eliminate the Bat. They want brute strength. Someone who can physically take him on.

Question: How will they handle the accent? Will Bane suddenly be British, or will Hardy fake a South American or perhaps middle-ground, North American accent?

Theory: Venom will be a custom-tailored combination of steroids and PCP or something like that. No surging tubes or what not.

Question: Will he wear the mask, and will it be symbolic or functional? IE; will 'Bane' be a secret identity?

Theory: Batman/Bruce will be resistant to his feelings for Catwoman/Selina because he's still hung up on Rachel and her death, and convinced more than ever anyone close to him is doomed.

Question: Will Selina be a straight good-guy, straight bad-guy, or kept ambigious -- a cat burglar who steals for the thrill, but had a conscience and cares for animals and isn't a villian/bad-guy.

Theory: Any Catwoman costume will be far from the slick skin-tight plasti-leather of Michelle Pfiefer. Likely more like we've seen in recent comics. Leather pants, leath jacket, gloves, something to conceal her identity with a flare of something cat-tish. Nothing over-the-top, much more understated.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 06:51 AM   #456
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
Question: Will Selina be a straight good-guy, straight bad-guy, or kept ambigious -- a cat burglar who steals for the thrill, but had a conscience and cares for animals and isn't a villian/bad-guy.
A while back, IGN had a report on casting that mentioned Selina/Catwoman, and were pretty specific about her role, mentioning that she would be a vigilante who comes to Gotham to fill the void left by Bruce/Batman's decision to voluntarily become 'persona non grata' in Gotham, with her actions being the catalyst for his 'return to action', as it were.
Old January 20 2011, 10:50 AM   #457
Dream
Admiral

Awesome news.

Catwoman is interesting because she can be so complex, being the lover/hero/villain rolled into one. There is a reason why I found Michelle Pfeiffer to be the only interesting female love interest in the first four Batman movies. I can't wait to see the new Catwoman's costume. Hathaway is going to be great!

Hopefully we get a much better Bane than that crappy one from Batman and Robin!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 10:51 AM   #458
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Interesting. I like Frontiers theories about Bane. Especially about the mob hiring him...although the fractured mob might be weary about another "Freak" taking over their operation given what the Joker managed to wrought. His machinations helped to cause their downfall as well. I'm just very excited about this movie. I can't wait to hear more casting news and the first poster.

Old January 20 2011, 12:41 PM   #459
JRS
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
Awesome news.

Catwoman is interesting because she can be so complex, being the lover/hero/villain rolled into one. There is a reason why I found Michelle Pfeiffer to be the only interesting female love interest in the first four Batman movies. I can't wait to see the new Catwoman's costume. Hathaway is going to be great!
Hopefully we get a much better Bane than that crappy one from Batman and Robin!
Indeed
I have been fan of Catwoman for a long time..and it will be really great to see Nolans take on her character.
Hathaway is a interesting choice to play her..but a good one
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 01:08 PM   #460
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

I like the idea of Hathaway as Catwoman.

Know a little about Bane. Not sure about Hardy, but only time will tell.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 01:40 PM   #461
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

All people really need to know about Bane is that he took over the "Gotham Underground" and broke the Bat. He also was considered a potential suitor for Talia by Ra's because of this but Bruce defeated him in their rematch and Talia wasn't fond of that idea in the first place.

Old January 20 2011, 01:53 PM   #462
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

^ I read a little about him after I posted on wikipedia. Saw that Bane was in Batman & Robin, don't really remember him, but it's been a long time since I've watch any of the original Batman films. I have a strong feeling Nolan's version will be a lot better.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 02:31 PM   #463
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
Theory: Any Catwoman costume will be far from the slick skin-tight plasti-leather of Michelle Pfiefer. Likely more like we've seen in recent comics. Leather pants, leath jacket, gloves, something to conceal her identity with a flare of something cat-tish. Nothing over-the-top, much more understated.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2011, 02:44 PM   #464
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ It'll be based on Darwin Cooke's redesign.

Old January 20 2011, 02:52 PM   #465
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Honestly, Selina Kyle is a genuine surprise. The idea of her as a vigilante to replace Batman makes a decent amount of sense, though. I'd been hoping for Bane for awhile, though, so I'm excited. Honestly, I'm willing to bet most people who saw him in Batman and Robin forgot he was in it. I'm sure anyone who knew the story in Knightfall knows that movie didn't come close to doing him justice. He's someone just realistic enough to fit into the Nolan universe who is smart, cunning, and threatening as well as strong.