RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 555
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 14 2012, 07:11 PM   #3886
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Timby wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
A week away and still no reviews? We already know they're going to be great, so I don't know what the holdup is.
Reviews of The Dark Knight Rises are under embargo until July 19.
Embargo?

Oh God why.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 07:35 PM   #3887
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

That is very common with huge films like this. For a number of reasons. Too prevent spoilers from getting out before release or bad buzz to be created.

Sometimes reviews are early released anyways though. It may affect their future access for early screenings for the studios films.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 07:39 PM   #3888
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
That is very common with huge films like this. For a number of reasons. Too prevent spoilers from getting out before release or bad buzz to be created.
Then they should do better films. A review embargo... preventing you from voicing your opinion about something... where are we? Nazi-Germany?
Old July 14 2012, 07:50 PM   #3889
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Like I said nothing is forcing anyone to actually comply with this arrangement! I am sure some type of review will surface before that.
Old July 14 2012, 07:56 PM   #3890
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I would intentionally NOT read one just on the chance of someone not being carefully enough to spoiler code the right material.

Glad I didn't see the Letterman clip.
I stopped following this film closely weeks ago on purpose and I'm far from "the most excited person" waiting for this film.

I don't think TDK is the manna from heaven film it's so lauded as, good yes, and I have reservations about this one. I'll be seeing it Thursday at about 2:30pm though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 08:04 PM   #3891
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I have similar feelings. I did enjoy TDK but it's not something I rewatch much. I definitely want to see the new one. I also respect that now that he has told the stories he wants Nolan is ready to pass Batman to someone else. For their own unique vision.
Old July 14 2012, 09:37 PM   #3892
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Reviews are almost always put out just a few days before.
The huge bulk of them, yeah. But you still usually see a handful of reviews a week or so beforehand.

I wonder if it might have something to do with the controversial political themes in the movie we've heard about. The studio might now want a bunch of bloggers and news commentators making a big fuss and getting morally outraged over it right before the movie comes out...
The studio could have a huge embargo/gag order on the reviews. Anyone who saw the previews likely signed paperwork to the effect and if they break the embargo they forfeit their first born child to the Firegods of Warner, or they'll be sued into oblivion.

Either way breaking the embargo/gag order wouldn't be a smart move for a professional journalist or publication (even the net-based ones.) Studios generally take this kind of shit very, very seriously.
Old July 14 2012, 09:40 PM   #3893
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Hey, maybe the movie is just crap and they don't want the reviewers saying so yet.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 10:03 PM   #3894
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Hey, maybe the movie is just crap and they don't want the reviewers saying so yet.
Usually in such circumstances where the studio isn't confident in positive reviews they don't screen the movie for critics.
Old July 14 2012, 10:07 PM   #3895
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Alan Scott/Green Lantern being gay in the comics way just a diversion for the big revelation about Bruce in the movie!
Old July 14 2012, 10:11 PM   #3896
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Alan Scott/Green Lantern being gay in the comics way just a diversion for the big revelation about Bruce in the movie!
Is that why Alfred is still with him after all these years?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 10:15 PM   #3897
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Old July 14 2012, 10:50 PM   #3898
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Then they should do better films. A review embargo... preventing you from voicing your opinion about something... where are we? Nazi-Germany?
It's actually very common - from movies to computer hardware the makers allow the reviews to be written but not published (an converserly the reviewrs are under preasure to make sure it's also set to go when the embargo lifts).

It's not about freedom of speech - it's a commerical arrangement if and the conditions that are placed. If a reviewwe doesn't like the embargo he's free to bitch and moan - just just won't be reviewing the movie.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 10:57 PM   #3899
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
It's actually very common - from movies to computer hardware the makers allow the reviews to be written but not published (an converserly the reviewrs are under preasure to make sure it's also set to go when the embargo lifts).
Just because it's common doesn't mean it's alright.
Old July 15 2012, 01:17 AM   #3900
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

A review embargo... preventing you from voicing your opinion about something... where are we? Nazi-Germany?
A company making you sign a contract to keep your trap about their intellectual property shut =/= a government forcing you to keep your trap shut through fear and intimidation.