Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2012, 03:20 PM   #3856
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I was in New York today and I couldn't resist this photo opportunity.

You're going to love EVITA!!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 07:53 PM   #3857
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=stj;6612499]
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Inception was original.
No, it wasn't.

On the discussion about Dent... how did Wayne prevent The Joker from telling the truth about Harvey Dent? Being in jail and going through the whole trial process would give him so much media attention, and there would be a lot of people who'd say "He's crazy, but I believe him."
I don't think Joker knew what Dent did after he left the hospital. They part ways there, Dent goes off and kills Wurtz, Maroni and his driver, and apparently some other people though I've never been entirely clear on who (Gordon mentions 2 cops being killed) - but Joker doesn't know any of that. He only knows that he sent Dent off to sow chaos, and, as he has faith that the people on the ferries will fall to barbarism, he has faith Dent will too.

So he goes to jail, trial, whatever, and has heard that Batman killed some people and that Dent is dead (presumably Batman had to take credit for Dent's death as well) - he'd probably smile himself to sleep thinking he'd corrupted Batman. Even if he suspected Dent was truly responsible, he wouldn't know it or have any proof of it. His goal was to screw with Batman anyway - which he succeeded in doing.

As for the Joker talking, that would imply the Batman movies are written as though the characters were real people (somewhere.) The Joker no more talks off screen than he spends two hours manhandling the hostages around the skyscraper or days sneaking explosives into the hospital. Essentially no one can even be pretended to exist when they're off screen. That's how Batman can move off screen on one side of a set of bad guys, then suddenly be on the other side without lumbering around in his Bat armour. He just wasn't anymore, then he was just somewhere else. No traveling involved. This kind of bad writing is unfortunately fairly common.
I can't say that any of Nolan's movies are about real people who exist off-screen. His stories explore idea spaces, with characters acting as probes in and around concepts. As for that being bad writing - it's not necessarily. It's only bad if you have very narrow tastes. For instance most of science fiction is notorious for doing the same thing. Nolan is good at casting, so his actors do most of the character building by lending believable emotion to the story. But if you asked me right now to recall any of the characters from Inception - I wouldn't be able to do it. I could remember the actors and what they did, but I don't remember any character names or anything but the broadest personailty strokes - because that's all that's really there.
Old July 12 2012, 08:09 PM   #3858
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Another possibility is that the Nolanverse's Joker didn't survive long after the events of TDK. Gotham was full of people, on both sides of the law, who wanted him dead.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 10:06 PM   #3859
Agent Richard07
Retired

Original Size

Original Size

Original Size

Original Size

Original Size

Original Size
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 10:40 PM   #3860
RoJoHen
Awesome

So...I'm guessing it's going to rain a lot in this movie?
Old July 12 2012, 10:58 PM   #3861
Captrek
Rear Admiral

The absence of any visibile detail around the eyes is a little off-putting. In particular, Selina's mask looks like a blindfold.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:31 PM   #3862
JD
Admiral

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out, but now that I do, I agree it's very odd.
Old July 13 2012, 03:58 AM   #3863
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Christoper Nolan sells out.

some snippets--

"I was somewhat happy with the first two films—probing the psychological landscape of Gotham from an adult perspective is sort of neat, if you like that kind of thing," Nolan told reporters at a promotional event. "But then I realized, 'Hey, what am I doing? Batman is a superhero. Superheroes are supposed to be fun and for kids.' So this time around, I wanted to make something nice and light and simple, because people aren't looking for a civics lesson with Batman. They just want some pleasant, mindless diversion."

The director also said Rises would be the "most merchandisable" Batman film in years, and he promised a vast array of licensed tie-ins, from infant onesies and light-up children's shoes to an expansion module for the Lego Batman video game and a special Dark Knight Rises edition of Monopoly featuring all the zany locations and characters from the film.
Old July 13 2012, 04:20 AM   #3864
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

An Onion classic.
Old July 13 2012, 04:30 AM   #3865
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Agreed. And yet, there was one long-time poster here who completely fell for it and even posted a reply before deleting it. Don't worry dude, your secret is safe with me.
Old July 13 2012, 04:56 AM   #3866
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Don't worry about it. I have no pride. That's what I get for responding before I click the link.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 12:34 PM   #3867
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Grauniad has a nice interview with Morgan Freeman, ostensibly about The Dark Knight Rises (which he does discuss), but more of the interview is about Barack Obama, American politics, and the inspiration of Nelson Mandela.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 05:33 PM   #3868
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Letterman can be such an ass sometimes.
Old July 13 2012, 05:35 PM   #3869
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Letterman talking with Anne Hathaway. He could be joking or he has just spoiled the ending.
Watch at your own peril

http://youtu.be/UQZ8TYzszxc?t=9m8s

SalvorHardin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 05:51 PM   #3870
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Letterman stopped being funny or remotely engaging as a show host sometime ago imo.
Thanks for the heads up about possible spoilerage cause I'd have watched the clip just for Anne.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote