Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 10 2012, 02:05 AM   #3811
flavaflav
Commander

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Seriously, are we gonna get any actual detective work in this flick? Or is it just gonna be ninjaman beats everyones ass part 3?
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 02:22 AM   #3812
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Inception was original.
No, it wasn't.
Awesome.
I have that comic too, it's a bit more different than "Inception" but still pretty funnily damn close.

Seriously, are we gonna get any actual detective work in this flick? Or is it just gonna be ninjaman beats everyones ass part 3?
You must have missed the "detective work" Batman did in the second movie including some ballistics work, trying to track criminals with radioactively marked money, and other touches here and there.
Old July 10 2012, 02:32 AM   #3813
JD
Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Inception was original. I can forgive a lot for that. Nolan screwed up the climax but so many movies are variations. Cleverness in variation has its satisfactions of course, but something more creative is never to be sneered at.

As to Nolan's Batman, the repeated insistence that his Batman is realistic keeps driving me to expect, well, realism, and the sharp disappointment tends to color whatever else the viewing experience has to offer. Aside from that, the cognitive dissonance when reading about realism and Batman's Nolan is very wearing. (Which also colors ones' anticipation of the viewing experience.) The only poster I've noticed before who seems to genuinely think Nolan isn't realistic in any ordinary sense is Lapis Exilis.

One thing I will note about the themes in the Batman movies is that they are very similar to Insomnia. For instance, the insistence that discrediting the man who put so many people away will result in villains on the street up to no ends of mischief. The thing is, none of the weaknesses in Insomnia (if you had to pin it down to just one thing, indulgence in hysteria as being "serious) are addressed in the Batman movies.

The Prestige addressed obsession, but none of the Batman movies really do anything different in Wayne's character. People seem to find plot points from various runs in Batman (all after my time reading the comics,) but personally I don't find anything from Nolan he didn't do just as well but more believably and entertainingly in Insomnia and The Prestige.

PS Yes, I own Insomnia and The Prestige but don't own any Nolan Batman. Indeed, I've only seen DKR the one time, in the theater. BB I've seen twice, the second time to see the Tom Wilkinson's speech as Maroni to Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. I hallucinated that Maroni was being played by Denzel Washington and Bruce Wayne by Russell Crowe and that Nolan had spliced in outtakes from American Gangster just to mess with our heads.

I don't think Nolan's take on Batman is supposed to be true realism, just comic book realism. In other words, taking the ideas seriously, showing how it WOULD be if it were realistic. In that sense I think it succeeds brilliantly.
I really think the Nolan movies are pretty much as realistic as a serious take on Batman could possibly get. No matter what you do, there's still going to have to be a fair amount of suspension of disbelief for a serious take on the character to work. And IMO at least, the ratio of realism/SOD in the Nolan films has been pretty much perfect.
I noticed that in the official cast list, they just have Ann Hathaway listed as Selina Kyle, so I'm wondering if we won't actually hear the name Catwoman in the movie.
Old July 10 2012, 04:14 AM   #3814
sonak
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
Inception was original. I can forgive a lot for that. Nolan screwed up the climax but so many movies are variations. Cleverness in variation has its satisfactions of course, but something more creative is never to be sneered at.

As to Nolan's Batman, the repeated insistence that his Batman is realistic keeps driving me to expect, well, realism, and the sharp disappointment tends to color whatever else the viewing experience has to offer. Aside from that, the cognitive dissonance when reading about realism and Batman's Nolan is very wearing. (Which also colors ones' anticipation of the viewing experience.) The only poster I've noticed before who seems to genuinely think Nolan isn't realistic in any ordinary sense is Lapis Exilis.

One thing I will note about the themes in the Batman movies is that they are very similar to Insomnia. For instance, the insistence that discrediting the man who put so many people away will result in villains on the street up to no ends of mischief. The thing is, none of the weaknesses in Insomnia (if you had to pin it down to just one thing, indulgence in hysteria as being "serious) are addressed in the Batman movies.

The Prestige addressed obsession, but none of the Batman movies really do anything different in Wayne's character. People seem to find plot points from various runs in Batman (all after my time reading the comics,) but personally I don't find anything from Nolan he didn't do just as well but more believably and entertainingly in Insomnia and The Prestige.

PS Yes, I own Insomnia and The Prestige but don't own any Nolan Batman. Indeed, I've only seen DKR the one time, in the theater. BB I've seen twice, the second time to see the Tom Wilkinson's speech as Maroni to Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. I hallucinated that Maroni was being played by Denzel Washington and Bruce Wayne by Russell Crowe and that Nolan had spliced in outtakes from American Gangster just to mess with our heads.

I don't think Nolan's take on Batman is supposed to be true realism, just comic book realism. In other words, taking the ideas seriously, showing how it WOULD be if it were realistic. In that sense I think it succeeds brilliantly.
I really think the Nolan movies are pretty much as realistic as a serious take on Batman could possibly get. No matter what you do, there's still going to have to be a fair amount of suspension of disbelief for a serious take on the character to work. And IMO at least, the ratio of realism/SOD in the Nolan films has been pretty much perfect.
I noticed that in the official cast list, they just have Ann Hathaway listed as Selina Kyle, so I'm wondering if we won't actually hear the name Catwoman in the movie.

Right, that's pretty much what I mean. We know that "Batman" as such is not going to play out realistically, but the Nolan films are as serious and realistic a take on the character as you can get. Compare them to previous versions of the character, and it's not even close.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 08:26 AM   #3815
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

InklingStar wrote: View Post
I wonder if the Dent Act that has been mentioned is something of a police state type of crackdown. Sure, there is no crime, but it could be part of what incites Bane's revolution of sorts.
Stop-and-frisk would be a good start.
Old July 10 2012, 11:52 AM   #3816
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

The entire soundtrack courtesy of Empire....epic.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34498
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 01:58 PM   #3817
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I also think the Batman films are "realistic". Just look at Batman himself. And compare him to Iron Man. Batman actually feels like a real person. Realistic impacts. Realistic injuries. His armor doesn't protect him that much. On the other hand we have Iron Man, who has infinite rocket fuel, who can withstand any G-force, and who never ever gets hurt when he wears the suit. The, well, how do you say it... "physical realism" in Nolan Batman films are a big plus.

Then the characters feel more realistic. I love how he took every villain and turned him/her into a person that could exist in the real world.

But on the other side, there are huge unrealistic elements, some of them come down to pretty poor writing (as others mentioned, for example, the Joker's ability to rig entire buildings and ships with explosives without anyone noticing, etc...).
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 08:45 PM   #3818
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

mr.peany wrote: View Post

I just died and went to musical heaven.
Old July 10 2012, 08:58 PM   #3819
StarMan
Vice Admiral

On the subject of realism:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/72520...but-he-d-crash
Old July 10 2012, 10:39 PM   #3820
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

mr.peany wrote: View Post

I listened to it last night and it was quite good. I was hoping the eerie music from the most recent full trailer was part of the score but I don't think I heard it. Pity.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 10:46 PM   #3821
Harvey
Admiral

Well, it's possible it's just not on the soundtrack album. But I guess we'll all find out in a couple weeks.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 11:00 PM   #3822
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The one from this trailer?

I love it too.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 11:24 PM   #3823
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

There are three bonus itunes tracks not included with the retail soundtrack that will be released next week when it goes on sale officially I assume. This score is glorious. That is all.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 11:42 PM   #3824
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
There are three bonus itunes tracks not included with the retail soundtrack that will be released next week when it goes on sale officially I assume. This score is glorious. That is all.
Why are retail soundtrack buyers always missing out?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 11:46 PM   #3825
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

So much brilliance..."Imagine the Fire" for one. I also am strangely attracted to "On Thin Ice".
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote