Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 9 2012, 04:32 AM   #3781
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

The Dark Knight is one of the most rewatchable films I've seen. I've never rewatched any other comic book film that I can recall.
Old July 9 2012, 04:41 AM   #3782
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I can't sit through TDK in one sitting without falling asleep.
The new one is even longer. I presume there'll be people sleeping in the theater like there were in Inception.
Old July 9 2012, 05:34 AM   #3783
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I can't sit through TDK in one sitting without falling asleep. I tried to watch it a couple weeks ago in preparation for the new film, and it took me 3 days to finish it. I don't find either of Nolan's Batman films rewatchable at all. To each their own, I suppose.
Totally agreed. And as was pointed out by someone upthread, the scenes that are drawn out and suspensful on the first watch simply become long upon repeat viewings.
Old July 9 2012, 07:54 AM   #3784
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

look here!
Old July 9 2012, 02:10 PM   #3785
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Hopefully these reviewers are not just a bunch of paid Warner shills...
Old July 9 2012, 04:48 PM   #3786
davejames
Vice Admiral

You know, I'm sure the movie will rock.... but this idea of crime in Gotham being virtually wiped out for 8 years still seems awfully odd to me.

This isn't supposed to be Seattle or something, that just had a small little outbreak of crime for a while. It's freakin Gotham City-- the most wretched, corrupt, and crime-filled city in the entire DC universe. I can't really see how Harvey's death would possibly change that, or affect the behavior of all the petty, desperate, small-time criminals out there.

In fact, in the comics anytime Batman was out of the picture the crime rate would shoot through the roof.

I'm hoping Nolan will do a proper job explaining how this all happened, and it's not something we have to "just accept" from the outset.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 05:02 PM   #3787
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

davejames wrote: View Post
You know, I'm sure the movie will rock.... but this idea of crime in Gotham being virtually wiped out for 8 years still seems awfully odd to me.

This isn't supposed to be Seattle or something, that just had a small little outbreak of crime for a while. It's freakin Gotham City-- the most wretched, corrupt, and crime-filled city in the entire DC universe. I can't really see how Harvey's death would possibly change that, or affect the behavior of all the petty, desperate, small-time criminals out there.

In fact, in the comics anytime Batman was out of the picture the crime rate would shoot through the roof.

I'm hoping Nolan will do a proper job explaining how this all happened, and it's not something we have to "just accept" from the outset.
What's so hard to understand? Dent basically murdered the biggest criminals in Gotham (which I believe Batman wound up taking the "credit" for, so as not to tarnish Dent's image), Commissioner Gordon likely got a free hand to "clean up the city," and all you really have to do to eliminate organized crime is make it an unprofitable enterprise. With organized crime gone, you're left with the more petty stuff, which a typical police force can handle well. It's conceivable that they'd end up with a violent crime rate more typical of a New England city, rather than a Southern one--that is to say, very low.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 05:19 PM   #3788
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

What's so hard to understand? Dent basically murdered the biggest criminals in Gotham (which I believe Batman wound up taking the "credit" for, so as not to tarnish Dent's image), Commissioner Gordon likely got a free hand to "clean up the city," and all you really have to do to eliminate organized crime is make it an unprofitable enterprise. With organized crime gone, you're left with the more petty stuff, which a typical police force can handle well. It's conceivable that they'd end up with a violent crime rate more typical of a New England city, rather than a Southern one--that is to say, very low.
And with no Batman maybe real loonies aren't drawn to Gotham and go elswhere.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 05:38 PM   #3789
stj
Rear Admiral

If you add that Nolan insists that an idealized hero is needed to inspire the worthless masses, I'd say you've correctly explained the thematic climax of DKR, and how it continues into this movie. It's a lot of foolishness. Killing the leaders doesn't stop institutions, and organized crime is an institution. Corruption takes place in nice quiet offices and over dinner and drinks and is a part of politics. Vigilantism doesn't touch that. The notion that the police could clean up crime if they had a free hand verges on fascist thinking. The real source of law and order is a healthy society and the police are just one part of that, not the Scourge of God striking down the Mob that always lurks in the proletariat. And "terrorism" is no more a legitimate threat to society than "chaos" as a person. It's a bugaboo, a lurid fantasy, a mean-spirited nightmare projected onto a scapegoat.

Look, you can try to suspend disbelief for this BS, but there are limits. Piling it higher and deeper doesn't credential it as smart.
Old July 9 2012, 05:43 PM   #3790
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Ignoring Heath Ledgers death.

I'm surprised Joker didn't break out a few hours/weeks after events of "The Dark Knight"

He's supposed to be Batman greatest foe but apparently he didn't cause anymore trouble for 8 years.
Old July 9 2012, 06:24 PM   #3791
davejames
Vice Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
And with no Batman maybe real loonies aren't drawn to Gotham and go elswhere.
Yeah with Batman gone I can understand there not being a bunch of crazy supervillains running around, but the image of Gotham painted in the first two movies was one where corruption was everywhere and criminal activity was off the charts.

Unless they was also able to magically wipe out poverty and drug addiction, and remove every corrupt polititian or judge or cop in the city, it's hard to imagine new crime bosses not rising up immediately to take advantage of that market.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 07:33 PM   #3792
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

stj wrote: View Post

If you add that Nolan insists that an idealized hero is needed to inspire the worthless masses, I'd say you've correctly explained the thematic climax of DKR, and how it continues into this movie. It's a lot of foolishness. Killing the leaders doesn't stop institutions, and organized crime is an institution. Corruption takes place in nice quiet offices and over dinner and drinks and is a part of politics. Vigilantism doesn't touch that. The notion that the police could clean up crime if they had a free hand verges on fascist thinking. The real source of law and order is a healthy society and the police are just one part of that, not the Scourge of God striking down the Mob that always lurks in the proletariat. And "terrorism" is no more a legitimate threat to society than "chaos" as a person. It's a bugaboo, a lurid fantasy, a mean-spirited nightmare projected onto a scapegoat.

Look, you can try to suspend disbelief for this BS, but there are limits. Piling it higher and deeper doesn't credential it as smart.
Well, I was trying to explain it within the thematic framework established by TDK. Obviously, nothing is that simple and straightforward in the real world. You have rightly pointed out that Nolan's Gotham isn't nearly as realistic and clever as it thinks it is. It just has the veneer of gritty realism to lend itself greater credibility as a "realistic" portrayal of superhero vigilantism.

I liked BB and TDK, although I found both to be overlong (typical of Nolan's films) and I don't think the praise heaped on them is entirely deserved. But I expect TDKR to be fun, nonetheless.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 07:56 PM   #3793
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

stj wrote: View Post

Well, I was trying to explain it within the thematic framework established by TDK. Obviously, nothing is that simple and straightforward in the real world. You have rightly pointed out that Nolan's Gotham isn't nearly as realistic and clever as it thinks it is. It just has the veneer of gritty realism to lend itself greater credibility as a "realistic" portrayal of superhero vigilantism.

I think Nolan's Batman films have a lot of Capraesque idealism in them. Think... Mr. Wayne Goes to Gotham, but grittier. Sure the scenario Nolan's laid out for TDKR is pretty naive in real world terms but... Goddamn, I wish life was like a Frank Capra picture!

But then... I think that's the point.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 08:06 PM   #3794
Warped9
Admiral

Gotham doesn't have to become a paradise after TDK. Anything less than what it was would be considered a huge improvement. One could say the overall situation simply became more tolerable. One could still have a level of street crime and corruption without the city going completely to hell. Indeed a lot of otherwise decent cities in the real world are pretty much like that.

Gotham always struck me as something like Chicago or New York of the 1920s. And that mightn't be far from what was originally intended when Bob Kane got started with all this. The 1920s and '30s were a notorious time for crime and corruption, and a time when gangsters were even romanticized. Or perhaps think of New York in the 1970s. Any movement away from that kind of situation and you'd think you were in a garden of paradise in comparison.
Old July 9 2012, 08:27 PM   #3795
Harvey
Admiral

I liked BB and TDK, although I found both to be overlong (typical of Nolan's films) and I don't think the praise heaped on them is entirely deserved.
His first three films (Following, Memento, and Insomnia) all clock in at under two hours, and The Prestige is just ten minutes over that mark.

As he's been given more money to spend, though, his films seem to have gotten longer and longer. I wish he'd tackle a smaller project again; he really seemed to shine on that scale. The Prestige is really the only film to come close to that, and it's no surprise to me that it's the shortest of his last five films.

I don't mean to suggest that I dislike his more recent output, but I do miss early Nolan.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote