RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,130
Posts: 5,401,456
Members: 24,746
Currently online: 619
Newest member: retrodynamic

TrekToday headlines

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 26 2011, 12:07 PM   #2836
Saul
Rear Admiral
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Location: 東京
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

McGinnis doesn't have to be a teenager.
__________________
"It's not that you can see the strings, it's that 40 years later you're still looking at them." - Steven Moffat
"This movie was big. Imagine how big it could have been with me in it?" William Shatner
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 04:44 PM   #2837
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

I just rewatched the trailer, and I don't think anymore that this will deal with the death of Bruce and a new Batman as some have speculated.

Looking at some of the lines from the trailer, and some of the hints we've recieved sofar, I think that Bruce has lost his identity, since Batman has not been needed for a while now that Gotham is at a sort of peace. His company is appereantly not doing well (this is from rumors). And I personally feel that when Alfred says he can no longer protect Bruce, he means he can't protect him from himself anymore.

I feel that the 'Rises' part of the trailer will be about Bruce coming to some sort of closure to who he really is, and what it means to be the Batman. He became Batman to fight evil, to become something more then a man. And although he took the hood and cape and fought crime, during the first two movies we've seen him as much as a man and as a figure that fights crime. During TDK he was even hopefull that he could stop being Batman and have a life with Rachel, which was taken from him (both by Rachel choosing Harvey and Joker killing Rachel). Perhaps at that moment he chose to become the figure more then the man, but not because he wanted to; because he had nothing else left.
Now, after 7-8 years of peace in Gotham, the Batman is no longer needed (again, this is pure speculation on my part) and Bruce feels he has nothing anymore.
Now, with the peace in Gotham over, Batman is needed more then ever, and 'rises'. Because of one little line by Selena and the little dialogue between the two men over Gordon being dumped by the mayor, I feel that Gotham is on the verge of becoming what it once was, a decadent city run by the rich where the poor are left to rot, a city where no one has learned the lessons from the past. This might even give reason to the Legaue of Shadows and Ra's Al-Ghul rumors, that they are returning to finish the job they started in the first movie.

Again, all speculation, from the rumors sofar and the bits from the trailer.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 08:40 PM   #2838
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain
 
Capt_Pickirk's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny ol' Blighty
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Saul wrote: View Post
McGinnis doesn't have to be a teenager.
Sure he does! That's his entire gimmick!

That's like saying that Batman doesn't have to dress like a bat, he could dress like a Ostrich.
__________________
Capt_Pickirk... also known as Greenpenguino everywhere else but here. Because everywhere else is more awesome than here...

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 09:57 PM   #2839
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
McGinnis doesn't have to be a teenager.
Sure he does! That's his entire gimmick!

That's like saying that Batman doesn't have to dress like a bat, he could dress like a Ostrich.
He also has to be named Terry McGinnis, which John Blake is not.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 10:55 PM   #2840
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Mage wrote: View Post
I feel that the 'Rises' part of the trailer will be about Bruce coming to some sort of closure to who he really is, and what it means to be the Batman. He became Batman to fight evil, to become something more then a man. And although he took the hood and cape and fought crime, during the first two movies we've seen him as much as a man and as a figure that fights crime. During TDK he was even hopefull that he could stop being Batman and have a life with Rachel, which was taken from him (both by Rachel choosing Harvey and Joker killing Rachel). Perhaps at that moment he chose to become the figure more then the man, but not because he wanted to; because he had nothing else left.
Now, after 7-8 years of peace in Gotham, the Batman is no longer needed (again, this is pure speculation on my part) and Bruce feels he has nothing anymore.
Now, with the peace in Gotham over, Batman is needed more then ever, and 'rises'.
I for one hope that The Dark Knight Rises means something more than The Dark Knight Puts on the Batsuit and Fights the Villain. We've seen that rise before. For example, every Batman work ever created. If the film is to justify the title, the Dark Knight must "rise" in a sense we haven't seen a zillion times before, and most importantly in a sense we haven't yet seen in the Nolanverse.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 11:00 PM   #2841
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Maybe he ends up creating Batmans in every city in the entire world. That's actually the thing Ra's al Ghul did. Recruiting wannabee ninjas and sending them everywhere in the world, not only Gotham.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 04:31 AM   #2842
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

captrek wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
I feel that the 'Rises' part of the trailer will be about Bruce coming to some sort of closure to who he really is, and what it means to be the Batman. He became Batman to fight evil, to become something more then a man. And although he took the hood and cape and fought crime, during the first two movies we've seen him as much as a man and as a figure that fights crime. During TDK he was even hopefull that he could stop being Batman and have a life with Rachel, which was taken from him (both by Rachel choosing Harvey and Joker killing Rachel). Perhaps at that moment he chose to become the figure more then the man, but not because he wanted to; because he had nothing else left.
Now, after 7-8 years of peace in Gotham, the Batman is no longer needed (again, this is pure speculation on my part) and Bruce feels he has nothing anymore.
Now, with the peace in Gotham over, Batman is needed more then ever, and 'rises'.
I for one hope that The Dark Knight Rises means something more than The Dark Knight Puts on the Batsuit and Fights the Villain. We've seen that rise before. For example, every Batman work ever created. If the film is to justify the title, the Dark Knight must "rise" in a sense we haven't seen a zillion times before, and most importantly in a sense we haven't yet seen in the Nolanverse.

um, why? "Batman Begins" didn't mean "Batman begins in an entirely new sense we've never seen before," it just depicted how and why he got started as Batman. Pretty straightforward.


If the plot of "dark knight rises" is that Batman returns triumphantly as a hero after being framed as a villain and then disappearing for years, the title makes sense.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 04:40 AM   #2843
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

^ Exactly. The whole trilogy as I mentioned maybe last page now is about Bruce Wayne training AND becoming Batman. I think this film as I've stated from the start is of Bruce rising up and finally accepting the burden of being Batman. Is it possible that Nolan will toss in a twist or two? Sure. I vehemently am against the notion that Bruce will be killed off. Really doesn't make sense except as just one of many different fan theories.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 04:43 AM   #2844
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

yeah, Bruce Wayne getting killed off would be a bad idea.


But in a larger sense it wouldn't matter too much-they can just reboot the film series again, and Nolan's not making any more anyway.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 05:11 AM   #2845
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

sonak wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
I feel that the 'Rises' part of the trailer will be about Bruce coming to some sort of closure to who he really is, and what it means to be the Batman. He became Batman to fight evil, to become something more then a man. And although he took the hood and cape and fought crime, during the first two movies we've seen him as much as a man and as a figure that fights crime. During TDK he was even hopefull that he could stop being Batman and have a life with Rachel, which was taken from him (both by Rachel choosing Harvey and Joker killing Rachel). Perhaps at that moment he chose to become the figure more then the man, but not because he wanted to; because he had nothing else left.
Now, after 7-8 years of peace in Gotham, the Batman is no longer needed (again, this is pure speculation on my part) and Bruce feels he has nothing anymore.
Now, with the peace in Gotham over, Batman is needed more then ever, and 'rises'.
I for one hope that The Dark Knight Rises means something more than The Dark Knight Puts on the Batsuit and Fights the Villain. We've seen that rise before. For example, every Batman work ever created. If the film is to justify the title, the Dark Knight must "rise" in a sense we haven't seen a zillion times before, and most importantly in a sense we haven't yet seen in the Nolanverse.

um, why? "Batman Begins" didn't mean "Batman begins in an entirely new sense we've never seen before," it just depicted how and why he got started as Batman. Pretty straightforward.
Of course. It was the beginning of this particular version of Batman.

If the plot of "dark knight rises" is that Batman returns triumphantly as a hero after being framed as a villain and then disappearing for years, the title makes sense.
Putting on the batsuit and fighting a villain isn’t exactly new territory for this Batman, even if the new film posits that he’s been out of action in the interim. It’s not “rising” in a very dramatic sense, it’s more like The Dark Knight Gets Up and Goes to the Office for Another Day of Work.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 05:16 AM   #2846
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

As with all of Nolan's film the "Rises" is probably a psychological notion. I think this is going to play heavily in this movie. We know or should know if you've watched Nolans movies that psychology seems to be a major subject he loves to explore. In this case it is Bruce Wayne's. Bruce has been really hesitant to fully accept being Batman...it is very much a burden. He isn't like his comic book counterpart where he's one hundred percent dedicated to the "mission". This one has to be forced to accept that he has to be Batman and live with that decision no matter what.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 10:24 AM   #2847
Saul
Rear Admiral
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Location: 東京
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
McGinnis doesn't have to be a teenager.
Sure he does! That's his entire gimmick!

That's like saying that Batman doesn't have to dress like a bat, he could dress like a Ostrich.
His gimmick is that he is the next Batman.
I don't see any character named Dick Grayson in this movie either but it hasn't stopped people from speculating that JGL is Robin.
__________________
"It's not that you can see the strings, it's that 40 years later you're still looking at them." - Steven Moffat
"This movie was big. Imagine how big it could have been with me in it?" William Shatner
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 11:51 AM   #2848
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

captrek wrote: View Post
Putting on the batsuit and fighting a villain isn’t exactly new territory for this Batman, even if the new film posits that he’s been out of action in the interim. It’s not “rising” in a very dramatic sense, it’s more like The Dark Knight Gets Up and Goes to the Office for Another Day of Work.

Putting on the suite, yes, he's done that before. But what I'm trying to say is that there is a difference between putting that suite on and fighting, and actually becoming something. During his first year as a crimefighter, Bruce was already hoping he could give it up, because of Rachel and a normal life with her. His plan of 'becoming' something was already thwarted the moment he returned to Gotham and realized he had unresolved issues with Rachel. That nagged at him. After Rachel's death, he thought he could become what Gotham needed, but only because he had nothing left. His reasons were wrong. But what do we find out now? Not long after TDK, Gotham entered a period of peace and things were pretty good in Gotham, or so it seems. According to a line by Selena in the trailer, it looks as if things are going back to a point when Bruce returned to Gotham, where the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. Enter Bane, who makes things worse somehow I'm guessing, and now it's the time for The Dark Knight, and Bruce (who seems at a loss in the trailer), with nothing to hold him back anymore, can rise and step up to finally become what Gotham needs and wants.

Rachel already understood this when she wondered if there would be a time that Bruce didn't need Batman. The thing is, right after he got back to Gotham, Bruce was torn between his commitment to fighting crime and his love for Rachel. He NEVER fully commited to being Batman, hoping that he could have a normal life with Rachel. When that was taken from him, and peace came to Gotham, he has nothing. His company is falling (according to rumors) Gotham doesn't need the Batman anymore. So when Bane enters the stage, and things start falling in on themselves in Gotham, Bruce can finally let go of the man, and truly, fully become the symbol that Gotham needs.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 01:53 PM   #2849
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

sonak wrote: View Post
yeah, Bruce Wayne getting killed off would be a bad idea.


But in a larger sense it wouldn't matter too much-they can just reboot the film series again, and Nolan's not making any more anyway.
Yet the only way to make sure that the studio never bothers Nolan or Bale with annoying phone calls is to kill off Bruce Wayne.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2011, 04:10 PM   #2850
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
yeah, Bruce Wayne getting killed off would be a bad idea.


But in a larger sense it wouldn't matter too much-they can just reboot the film series again, and Nolan's not making any more anyway.
Yet the only way to make sure that the studio never bothers Nolan or Bale with annoying phone calls is to kill off Bruce Wayne.

ha! That's what Arthur Conan Doyle thought about Sherlock Holmes, too.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, christopher nolan, the dark knight rises

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.