Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 21 2011, 08:03 PM   #2746
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Rutger Hauer anyone?

If a character has a solid reason to destroy Wayne Enterprises, it's him.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 08:04 PM   #2747
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Are you suggesting that Richard Earle will somehow come back into play?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 08:04 PM   #2748
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

i think Bane draws him out, cripples him, and sends him to prison for those eight years. Bane won't kill him until he can see the havok he wrought, caused in part by the rich - like Bruce.. which explains bane's line in the trailer.
Old December 21 2011, 08:08 PM   #2749
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah I've kind of thought that myself after seeing the prison scene. I think the hospital scene between Bruce and Gordon is after Bruce has escaped. Gordon begs him to return and he's not sure if he should.

Old December 21 2011, 08:10 PM   #2750
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

then there is a shot of Bruce with a cane looking at a silver platter. That's his return home, where he realized that all the riches in the world, the high society, has been part of the problem, and Bane and Selina have a point.
Old December 21 2011, 08:13 PM   #2751
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
Here's what I think is the story of The Dark Knight Rises:

After the events of the second movie Dark Knight, Bruce quit being Batman now he has made his alter ego into a bad guy to save the reputation of Harvey Dent, and he can't fight crime and fight the police at the same time. He also blamed himself for Rachel's death and not being able to stop Harvey's descent into madness. Bruce has put everything that has to do with Batman in secret storage within the restored Wayne Manor (but I can see Bruce stopping by to a peak of the stuff from time to time out of nostalgia of the good, old days). For eight years, Bruce has been put more of his focus on running Wayne Enterprises while Harvey Dent turns into a martyr saint that inspires the city to follow his heroic example in the fight aganist crime and corruption. But Bruce continues to wallow in depression and self-loathing, maybe feeling incomplete without being Batman half of the time. He increasingly isolates himself from other people. Alfred sees this and feels powerless in stopping the pain his surrogate son is in. Then Bane comes in. I don't think he comes to Gotham intially because of Batman. I think his reason has to do with something related to Gotham and something that's in Gotham. Catwoman is hired by Bane to serve a function in his plan. Seeing the chaos Bane unleashes forces Bruce to go back to being Batman to save the people of Gotham.
I'm having a very hard time seeing why people still insist on classifying Selina/Catwoman as a villain, given what we either know or can deduce about her character based on set photos, official photos, this trailer, and reports from fairly reputable sites such as the Hollywood Reporter and IGN from months prior to the WB confirming the character's presence in the film.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 08:15 PM   #2752
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

People are assuming Selina is a villain because that's how she has been depicted before...but yeah I don't think her role in the movie has been exactly confirmed. I will say that I expected it to be antagonistic to some degree, but who knows maybe she'll end up being an ally to Bruce.

Old December 21 2011, 08:18 PM   #2753
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

I'm not saying Selina is a villain, per say. I'm thinking Bane forces her to go along with his plan. I doubt there isn't a connection between her and Bane.

Flying Spaghetti Monster: you may be right about Bane crippling Batman and putting him in prison for eight years. But I'm wondering if Bane does this to Batman shortly after the events of The Dark Knight after keeping an eye on Batman for a while now, thinking he would pose a threat to his plans and feeling it would be best to have him dealt with so he would be out of the way. And come to think of it the clip in the trailer when Alfred says he hasn't protected Bruce makes sense within the context you established.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 08:25 PM   #2754
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
People are assuming Selina is a villain because that's how she has been depicted before...but yeah I don't think her role in the movie has been exactly confirmed. I will say that I expected it to be antagonistic to some degree, but who knows maybe she'll end up being an ally to Bruce.
IGN was pretty specific and adamant that her role in the film was that of a Batman-esque vigilante, and I have a hard time believing that they were wrong or mistaken about that.

Therefore, it is far more likely to me that Selina ends up being set up as someone who is presented as being antagonistic towards Bruce Wayne (as indicated by the scenes of her in the trailer whispering Occupy movement sentiments in his ear) and possibly Batman, but is ultimately a 'good guy', even if we as an audience are initially led to believe otherwise.

I doubt there isn't a connection between her and Bane.
Why?

Old December 21 2011, 08:45 PM   #2755
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Two members of Batman's rogue gallery in the same movie. It's like saying there wasn't a connection between Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow in the first movie or a connection between the Joker and Two Face in the second. That connection doesn't have to be that of two villains willingly working together. I don't think Selina of this movie is a full-on villain, willingly serving Bane's agenda. I see her more like Irene Adler when she was forced to work for Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes movie. Or maybe she has an ulterior motive for working with Bane that serves a personal agenda of her own. Like Irene with Sherlock, Selina will have her banter with Bruce who she'll have an attraction to and may end up helping Bruce later in the movie.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 08:46 PM   #2756
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think there will be a connection revealed between Miranda Tate and Bane. Especially if the rumours over who she really might be are true.

Old December 21 2011, 08:56 PM   #2757
Skywalker
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I think there will be a connection revealed between Miranda Tate and Bane. Especially if the rumours over who she really might be are true.
She's actually Poison Ivy. That's right, folks, they're remaking Batman & Robin!

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is actually playing Mr. Freeze.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 08:58 PM   #2758
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Two members of Batman's rogue gallery in the same movie. It's like saying there wasn't a connection between Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow in the first movie or a connection between the Joker and Two Face in the second. That connection doesn't have to be that of two villains willingly working together. I don't think Selina of this movie is a full-on villain, willingly serving Bane's agenda. I see her more like Irene Adler when she was forced to work for Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes movie. Or maybe she has an ulterior motive for working with Bane that serves a personal agenda of her own. Like Irene with Sherlock, Selina will have her banter with Bruce who she'll have an attraction to and may end up helping Bruce later in the movie.
Just because a film happens to feature two members of Batman's traditional rogues gallery does not automatically mean that both characters are automatically villains, or that there automatically has to be some type of connection between them.

With regards to Batman Begins, I believe that we knew going into the film that it was intended to have two villains - Rha's and Scarecrow, but there was no real story imperative requiring them to be working together, the fact that they were in fact working together notwithstanding.

With TDK, the Joker was announced as that film's only villain, although we as an audience were led to suspect that Nolan was in fact going to use the Two-Face angle, especially after they put Harvey's 'You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain' line in the trailers for the film.

Contrast that with TDKR; there's been zero indication, as far as I know, that the film has two villains (ala Begins), or that Selina is in fact going to be used as a villain, so it's ludicrous to automatically assume that Selina Kyle is A) a villain and B) has some connection - willing or otherwise - to Bane just because she and Bane happen to be in the same film.

Old December 21 2011, 09:23 PM   #2759
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Xmas in Antares wrote: View Post
I remember when everyone was complaining about the Tumbler in Batman Begins.
I still don't like it.
It's no Batmobile, it just isn't.
I accept it as part of this series but it's the most un-Batman thing in the series thus far.
What makes a Batmobile a Batmobile?
That it's actually something that categorically is an automobile.
When it's the Tumbler it's a stylized military grade tank-esque vehicle. Yes, it's more of an homage to what's in Miller's TDK or even The Cult but those were overly stylized takes whereas Nolan's world prides itself on being realistic. IMO the choice of Batmobile err BatTank is the most out of place element.

That's really all we need to go into it. I accept it's there but for my $.02 it's not a Batmobile cause it's not even remotely a car or car on steroids as most Batmobile's typically are.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 09:29 PM   #2760
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Tanks aren't mobile? What is it then, a Batstatic?