Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 22 2011, 04:34 PM   #2416
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
This report suggests that the jump in time was a compromise between Nolan and the studio, so that they could set other movies between TDK and TDKR, given the popularity of the Nolanverse. The implication is that something big happens in TDKR which makes sequels unlikely - death, retirement, paralysis, winning the lottery (er, oh yeah, he's already a billionaire).

I tend to take that with a pinch of salt, as I would have thought that even if Nolan's set on giving his Batman movies a definitive ending (and we've heard that before) the studio will simply reboot, as has been done with Superman, Spider-man, Hulk, Punisher, James Bond etc.

http://www.moviehole.net/201149285-5...k-knight-rises
Interesting. I was thinking just yesterday that they could squeeze in a TV show to cover those missing years.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 05:04 PM   #2417
Warped9
Admiral

Candidly killing off Batman would really piss me off. I really hope they don't do that.
Old November 22 2011, 05:14 PM   #2418
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Gary Oldman talks TDKR's conclusion here - but I can't watch it cos I'm outside the USA! GRRRRR!!!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52040
Old November 22 2011, 05:16 PM   #2419
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

From the trailer Batman will be extremely physically exhausted.

I imagine a scene with a staggering Batman. He's almost about to die. Bane has already been defeated

It would be very heartbreaking. As he falls to the ground Catwoman whispers in his ear

"Get up. Gotham needs it's Knight"
Old November 22 2011, 05:21 PM   #2420
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
8 years. That leads me to think that Nolan will really finish his Batman story by maybe having Batman die. Would he do it? It's always been a vibe i've gotten from his Batman movies that Batman was gonna pay big time in the end for a life of crime fighting, that he couldn't just continue on always doing that. This will be final closure for the character in these movies.
Well, he's had 8 years to plan his resurrection should he need it. He'll be back.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 05:34 PM   #2421
davejames
Vice Admiral

Batman dying does kind of fit in with Nolan's more grounded, down to earth version of the character. He's always portrayed him as being much more human and real than the more mythical Burton Batman, or the indestructible Batman of the comics.

It would still be interesting to see, but somehow I doubt he's really going to go there. If anyone big is going to die, it's more likely to be Gordon or Alfred.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 05:35 PM   #2422
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I am not sure if Batman is going to die since that seems a tad too predictable. It has to be something jarring, though, because I've heard time and time again that Nolan's ending didn't sit well with Warner Bros. Whatever the ending is it's going to be risky and it's going to have a very monumental impact on Batman, his story and these movies. Plus I don't see how you can call a movie "The Dark Knight Rises" with Batman dead.
Old November 22 2011, 05:37 PM   #2423
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Plus as we've talked about before in the thread...dying doesn't really make sense with regards to "Rises" being in the film title. I don't think Bruce will die either.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 05:38 PM   #2424
RoJoHen
Awesome

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Plus I don't see how you can call a movie "The Dark Knight Rises" with Batman dead.
Maybe he rises to Heaven.
Old November 22 2011, 05:38 PM   #2425
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ The dark knight rises then falls?
Old November 22 2011, 05:39 PM   #2426
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I am not sure if Batman is going to die since that seems a tad too predictable. It has to be something jarring, though, because I've heard time and time again that Nolan's ending didn't sit well with Warner Bros.

Joseph Gordon Levitt becomes Batman or Azarel

Old November 22 2011, 05:41 PM   #2427
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Maybe he rises as a symbol, and Batgirl and Nightwing take over.

I say Shailene Woodley for Batgirl.
Old November 22 2011, 05:49 PM   #2428
Saul
Rear Admiral

River: "The Batman will Rise ever so high and then fall further than ever before."

Plus "The Dark Knight Rises" might not actually refer to "The Dark Knight" since we see Bane holding a picture of Harvey Dent or maybe it hints at the return of someone else.

Last edited by Saul; November 23 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 07:36 PM   #2429
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

The one thing the Nolan movies have done extremely well, in terms of creating a deep mythological feel to them, is to focus on Batman's relationship to Gotham - that is, it's been Gotham at stake in each of the two movies before. Ra's wanted to destroy Gotham to cleanse civilization. The Joker wanted to break Gotham's spirit by sowing chaos. Bruce has wanted to fundamentally change Gotham so that he could feel he had corrected his own tragedy, and therefore, go on to live a normal life. At the end of The Dark Knight he's plainly given up on the idea of living a normal life, by taking Harvey Dent's sins onto his own head - and with Rachel gone, his main motivation for desiring a normal life is dead.

Each of the previous movies has also had Batman triiumphing (saving Gotham) but at great personal cost - In Batman Begins his family home destroyed, his beloved mentor revealed as a betrayer and madman, his love alienated; in The Dark Knight, his love dead, his hopes for being a redeeming symbol to Gotham twisted as he is now believed to be a murderer - basically he has nothing left.

So Dark Knight Rises is likely to start with a much more hard-bitten Bruce Wayne - a man without hope, only a grim determination to fight on and on, believing somehow that by fighting he's still making a difference. But this determination by this time probably seems more like madness, especially if Gotham has descended further. Or if it decends further in this story due to Bane's appearance, which seems to be the direction it's been hinted that the story will go.

If the ending didn't sit well with Warners - well, I've always felt the voice over at the end of TDK felt a little tacked on, a way to try to snatch a triumphant ending out of the jaws of a pretty dark close. I would expect something similar here. Nolan's Batman rarely wins - he mostly just manages to barely hold back chaos from taking over. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie ends with an embittered, rage-filled Batman who has truly become something frightening. Nolan seems to be telling the tale of an idealistic young man who makes an extreme choice to dance with darkness, and slowly gets taken over by it, losing love, losing hope, being hammered into a hero who is inches away from the things he fights. Rather than Batman dying or being maimed at the end of this movie, I imagine we'll see him snap Bane's spine, or some other equally vicious tactic that begs the question of what has Bruce become in his effort to save Gotham - a hero or a monster?

That's a theme that many of the Batman comics have embraced, but I could see where a studio would want a more uplifting ending for a tentpole summer blockbuster.
Old November 22 2011, 08:00 PM   #2430
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I think we might end up having Bruce Wayne reveal that he's Batman to the people of Gotham.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote