Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 22 2011, 01:56 AM   #2401
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

^ LOL.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 02:01 AM   #2402
JD
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's clearly his Bat-Shark Repellent.
What's a Bat-Shark?
Its Shark repellent used by someone with a bat fetish.
JD wrote: View Post
It's clearly his Bat-Shark Repellent.
What's a Bat-Shark?
"Shark Repellent" is a substance used to repel sharks.

Bat- is the prefix attached the most of Batman's more bizarre devices.

Bat-Shark Repellent.
Sorry, that didn't work as well as I hoped. I was trying to make a joke about Bat-Sharks, as in part bat, part shark creatures.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 02:07 AM   #2403
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

We call those Manta Rays.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 02:37 AM   #2404
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Love the idea of finally seeing the older, more experienced Batman in one of these movies (instead of just the guy still figuring stuff out)
Forgive but aren't we under the impression that Bruce stopped being Batman 8 years ago?

8 years later Gotham is like "No Man's Land" and Batman returns to face Bane.

You would also think in 8 years time Bruce would have a new costume and not something from 8 years ago.
Old November 22 2011, 03:43 AM   #2405
davejames
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Forgive but aren't we under the impression that Bruce stopped being Batman 8 years ago?

You would also think in 8 years time Bruce would have a new costume and not something from 8 years ago.
That's not what I took from the ending of TDK. I thought he was still going to do his thing, only now he was taking on the extra burden of being regarded as a criminal in the eyes of the law.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 04:00 AM   #2406
jbny67
Commander

davejames wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

That's not what I took from the ending of TDK. I thought he was still going to do his thing, only now he was taking on the extra burden of being regarded as a criminal in the eyes of the law.
It just took more time than he expected to prepare.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 05:28 AM   #2407
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

The idea of the 8 year jump is intriguing to me..... sure, there's a lot of stuff that the audience "misses out" on, but jumping that far forward gives them the opportunity to put Batman someplace mentally, physically, and in the public eye that they wouldn't have been able to cleanly set up if it started immediately after TDK. I mean, 8 years of Batman being Gotham enemy #1, potentially 8 years of Batman getting the crap kicked out of him, 8 years worth of time for something to happen to his company, thus potentially cutting him off from his endless supply of new/ replaceable toys.

Could be a big risk, but it could also set them up to do some pretty interesting things with the story.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 06:43 AM   #2408
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Wow, an eight year jump? That's not going to be popular for some people.

Not this guy, however. I love it. And it's not a simple case of "fast-tracking the character arc." The way Nolan has handle Batman and Bruce Wayne's growth has always been a slow burn. The only way for Nolan to get to a satisfying conclusion to the overall arc (as he has stated multiple times in regards to this film) with the level of maturity, skill development, experience and emotional development is by jumping forward in time.

Reading the above article has gotten me all the more excited about this film. Summer 2012 can't came soon enough!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 09:56 AM   #2409
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Wow the eight year jump is a shocking bit of news! It does tell me that Nolan has a specific story he wants to tell, which is very exciting. It looks like we might get a DKR inspired bit of story here. Seriously cannot wait!
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 04:08 PM   #2410
Agent Richard07
Admiral

So, Batman has either been out of commission for 8 years or he's been fighting bad guys the whole time. If it's the latter, I hope we get some nods to other villains in the rogues gallery.

And to elaborate further on Nolan's comment about earning the right to put Batman in the daylight, that sort of thing can go sour. Fans can be disloyal and they'll turn on you quickly if they see something they don't like. That's always a problem when you try to branch out, thinking you've earned some goodwill.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 04:17 PM   #2411
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

This report suggests that the jump in time was a compromise between Nolan and the studio, so that they could set other movies between TDK and TDKR, given the popularity of the Nolanverse. The implication is that something big happens in TDKR which makes sequels unlikely - death, retirement, paralysis, winning the lottery (er, oh yeah, he's already a billionaire).

I tend to take that with a pinch of salt, as I would have thought that even if Nolan's set on giving his Batman movies a definitive ending (and we've heard that before) the studio will simply reboot, as has been done with Superman, Spider-man, Hulk, Punisher, James Bond etc.

http://www.moviehole.net/201149285-5...k-knight-rises
Old November 22 2011, 04:20 PM   #2412
Warped9
Admiral

Tantalizing bits of info and yet little really said. I'm really interested in this and Nolan has won a lot of points as far as I'm concerned. Whatever it will be I'm sure it will be interesting and it won't be dull.

The eight year gap is interesting. My impression is that Batman has remained in business those eight years though as an outlaw. Well, actually he's always been an outlaw, but whether he's looked upon favourably by most or not is another question.

I'm also not convinced that this is actually the end of him being Batman. It may simply be his greatest test that ends up with Batman being where he has always been meant to be: technically outside the law yet with some help from friendly cops and most of Gotham embracing him as hero.
Old November 22 2011, 04:24 PM   #2413
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
We call those Manta Rays.
Who's Manta?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2011, 04:27 PM   #2414
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Setting movies in between TDK and TDKR could provide a soft reboot after Nolan is done.

He can still produce Batman 4 and the new director can cast a new Batman
Old November 22 2011, 04:31 PM   #2415
Saul
Rear Admiral

8 years. That leads me to think that Nolan will really finish his Batman story by maybe having Batman die. Would he do it? It's always been a vibe i've gotten from his Batman movies that Batman was gonna pay big time in the end for a life of crime fighting, that he couldn't just continue on always doing that. This will be final closure for the character in these movies.