TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 25 2011, 07:41 PM   #2116
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Screw that, because a director's rep, even his track record, plays a little into this. The film is either interesting or it's not. From what we've seen, TDKR is simply a wrap-up of the trilogy, offering new villains in the physical sense but hardly establishing it's own complex themes.
Old September 25 2011, 07:49 PM   #2117
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Screw that, because a director's rep, even his track record, plays a little into this. The film is either interesting or it's not. From what we've seen, TDKR is simply a wrap-up of the trilogy, offering new villains in the physical sense but hardly establishing it's own complex themes.
How can you really make that statement, though? We know nothing of the story, and the only footage we've seen have been bits and pieces from a teaser trailer. There quite simply hasn't been enough released to form such a statement, particularly that it isn't establishing its own complex themes. (And it's not like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight were particularly subtle or complex about their themes, in any event.)

I just think it's kind of hilarious that in a series that's been all about ... well, not realism, but at the very least a heightened sense of verisimilitude, with things having practical explanations ... there's Catwoman wearing thigh-high stiletto boots more befitting a stripper. I mean, they're completely unusable, and there she is strutting around in them.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 08:09 PM   #2118
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

According to rumors Nolan is literally taking a page out of Batman: Year One and making Selina Kyle a prostitute. Or at least that will be part of her back-story. So while the stiletto boots might not be practical in a crime-fighting sense, at least it sort of makes sense given her purported back-story.
Old September 25 2011, 08:48 PM   #2119
davejames
Vice Admiral

The high heels don't really bother me. Nearly every Catwoman has had them, and they don't seem any more "impractical" to me than her tight leather costume, or Batman's extra long cape which seems like it would be annoying as hell to deal with night after night. Or a massive Batmobile which seems like it would stick out like a sore thumb in Gotham.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 08:59 PM   #2120
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Batman's cape is easily explained: He just hasn't seen The Incredibles yet.
Old September 25 2011, 09:06 PM   #2121
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
the cat ears tiara (or whatever it's called)
I'm assuming that flips down over her eyes as goggles.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 09:53 PM   #2122
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah the rumors (I think Batman News reported on this first) are that Selina's backstory involves her prostitute days. I've also seen that Juno Temple might be playing a version of Selina's friend Holly Robinson. I'm sure that the suit will reflect all of these traits and characteristics.

As for TDKR not establishing it's own themes...I would dispute this claim since we have got very definitive themes and motifs being explored since "Batman Begins". It is true that since this is the final film in the trilogy that it might not have time to establish it's own and would merely conclude the others but I wouldn't dismiss the fact that Nolan would introduce a new theme to explore.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 12:16 AM   #2123
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Count me in the group that's disappointed by what we've seen of the Catwoman costume. The heels are ridiculous and the ears/tiara looks goofy. Maybe I should hope it's just a temp/prototype?

Scarecrow and Joker's "costumes" at least made sense; putting stiletto heels on his Catwoman's a poor choice for Nolan. And using the Batman:Year One backstory is pretty "blah" to me too; give me the Animated Series background, thanks.
Old September 26 2011, 03:41 AM   #2124
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

What if that is her prostitute costume and the scene is early in the film when Batman is trying to get some?

See, that's why they wrote that scene in Catwoman #1!
Old September 26 2011, 03:50 AM   #2125
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CW's costume looks fine.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 03:51 AM   #2126
RoJoHen
Awesome

Broccoli wrote: View Post
What if that is her prostitute costume and the scene is early in the film when Batman is trying to get some?
I would actually be completely fine with this.
Old September 26 2011, 03:57 AM   #2127
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

She looks like Catwoman to me.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 03:58 AM   #2128
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kelso wrote: View Post
She looks like Catwoman to me.
I think that's what bothers me. She looks too much like a typical Catwoman. I was expecting something less mundane.
Old September 26 2011, 03:59 AM   #2129
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
I would actually be completely fine with this.
Likewise.
Old September 26 2011, 04:29 AM   #2130
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I honestly think that some people have this ingrained need to nitpick and complain about everything, since most of the complaints I've seen with regards to this film are extremely minor and trivial, and amount, more or less, to overblown hyperbolic whining.

People were complaining about how Catwoman needed ears, and now that we know - for certain - that the goggles serve as ears, they're still complaining. It's ridiculous.

I personally love the way Nolan's resurrected the old 60s 'mask and ear-piece' look, and think it actually will fit better with the Nolan-verse's overall aesthetic than a look that is more reminiscent of Michelle Pfeifer's Catwoman.

I also completely agree with JacksonArcher about people being way too quick to jump to negative conclusions based on things that, in the grand scheme of things, are extremely minor and trivial. The success of Anne Hathaway's version of Selina Kyle/Catwoman is going to be made or broken by her performance, not by her costume.