Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 19 2011, 08:21 PM   #1711
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

JD wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I personally don't think Nolan is going to end his trilogy with a broken bat. I think Bruce will be wrecked emotionally (perhaps by Selina and this Miranda Tate person) and mentality by Bane before realizing that he has to fully embrace the Bat and rise to the challenge. I'm sure the plot will become more clearer with future trailers.
Agreed. I really think that the movie is going to end on the opposite end of the spectrum, with Bruce fully accepting the role of Batman, and what it means to truly be Gotham's "Dark Knight".
There is a third option -- Bruce achieves what he set out to do as the Batman and he retires. I'm expecting Nolan to bring the story of his version of Batman to a definitive close. I don't see him leaving his Batman open-ended.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 11:02 PM   #1712
JD
Admiral

I could see that too, if they decide not to leave it open ended. Even if Nolan wants to do a real ending, I kinda wonder if Warner would let him.
Old July 20 2011, 12:17 AM   #1713
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

What does Bruce want? He can maybe manage to get all of the big gangster bosses in prison (he almost did that in TDK, and it probably worked because he managed to keep Harvey Dent's public image intact). But would he then be perfectly fine with things and "retire"?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 10:04 AM   #1714
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ That sounds a little too pat to me, a little like the resolution Bruce found at the end of Forever. Can't see Nolan doing it.
Old July 20 2011, 10:48 AM   #1715
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

We've already been told what Bruce wants...to no longer have to be Batman. This is what I mean about him being in his formative years. He's still naive and not experienced enough to think that he can "give up" being Batman. He's yet to realize that he'll never be able to do that, or have any sense of real peace. Bruce was taught a very serious lesson in "The Dark Knight" by the Joker...mainly there are consequences to his your actions.

I believe that "The Dark Knight Rises" will absolutely force Bruce to accept being Batman...or he'll be broken. Rachel Dawes was very much his anchor. He was deluded into thinking because of what they talked about at the end of "Batman Begins" that he would be able stop being Batman. The loss of Rachel and the clinging to that delusion...well that's going to be something interesting to see carry onto the next movie.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 11:59 AM   #1716
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

We've already been told what Bruce wants...to no longer have to be Batman. This is what I mean about him being in his formative years. He's still naive and not experienced enough to think that he can "give up" being Batman. He's yet to realize that he'll never be able to do that, or have any sense of real peace. Bruce was taught a very serious lesson in "The Dark Knight" by the Joker...mainly there are consequences to his your actions.

I believe that "The Dark Knight Rises" will absolutely force Bruce to accept being Batman...or he'll be broken. Rachel Dawes was very much his anchor. He was deluded into thinking because of what they talked about at the end of "Batman Begins" that he would be able stop being Batman. The loss of Rachel and the clinging to that delusion...well that's going to be something interesting to see carry onto the next movie.
I have always thought that this ends with a death that will bring about the end of the crime wave in Gotham. However, how that happens, I don't know. I just thought that his physical presence would be at an end, but he would know that Batman had made a difference. Heading towards the light sky and seeing the bat symbol doesn't do anything to dispel this notion within me.
Old July 20 2011, 02:14 PM   #1717
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

What if the movie ends with a fade to black then pull back and open up(with a tag that says "sometime in the future") on a teen kid talking to an older gentleman while watching a computer screen of the exploits we just saw. The older gent says, "And that Terry, is what being Batman is about...you up to it?".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 02:25 PM   #1718
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ No.
Old July 20 2011, 04:41 PM   #1719
Creepy Critter
Admiral

I agree with almost everything there, except what I highlighted. By this I mean that my inclination is to think that, for the Dark Knight to rise, the Dark Knight must exist at his fullest, which to me would require Bruce to find fulfillment in being the Dark Knight. To me, the Dark Knight will not have risen unless Bruce embraces being Batman completely. Ergo, he must be at peace being Batman. This is what I'm looking for.
Old July 20 2011, 06:04 PM   #1720
JD
Admiral

That's pretty much been my interpretation as well.
As for the ending, I could almost see it ending with him encountering Jason Todd for the first time, and deciding to train him. Basically he fully accepts his role as Batman, and decides to pass on what he has learned throughout the trilogy to someone else. And if they are going to incorporate any Robin into the series, I think Jason Todd's story would fit in the best.
Old July 20 2011, 06:12 PM   #1721
Agenda
Fleet Captain

With Batman, it's a never ending battle, just like with Superman. He'll fight till he's an old man and can't fight anymore. And even then he might do things behind the scenes (like in Batman Beyond). And remember in Kingdom Come? When his body couldn't go on, he used robots and Bat armor. In the original Dark Knight Returns even though he had to stop being Batman he was still involved in building an army to replace him.

Last edited by Agenda; July 20 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 06:17 PM   #1722
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I can't wait for the sequel.

T H E D A R K K N I G H T

RETIRES
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 06:21 PM   #1723
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ The Dark Knight Goes To An Old People's Home
Old July 20 2011, 09:24 PM   #1724
jbny67
Commander

JD wrote: View Post
I could almost see it ending with him encountering Jason Todd for the first time, and deciding to train him. Basically he fully accepts his role as Batman, and decides to pass on what he has learned throughout the trilogy to someone else. And if they are going to incorporate any Robin into the series, I think Jason Todd's story would fit in the best.
Nolan has let it be known, in no uncertain terms, that Robin would never appear in a Batman movie made by him. In any way shape or form.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 11:44 PM   #1725
JD
Admiral

Oh, never mind then I guess. But, you could get away with that by having him just be Jason and never actually become Robin.