Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 18 2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia season premiere

Anyone catch it? I thought it was a pretty good start - really character-based comedy, not trying to just do this or that "issue" (gay marriage this time around).

For a long time, I've felt that Mac was really kind of the underdeveloped character in the bunch but now he seems to be more right-wing than I'd assumed (in a hypocritical way, which of course is a good thing). Maybe the writers should push him into Tea Party insanity to give them some more current issues to loosely build stories around.

Unless I'm missing something, aren't Frank and Charlie father and son? Are they oblivious to that, don't realize it, or just don't care? They have got to have the flat-out most bizarre relationship on TV today.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia season premiere

Yet another hilarious episode. I loved the discussion on who was gay for having sex with "her" at what point

I'm hoping this storyline lasts a few episodes with Dennis' marriage.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Teelie
Vice Admiral

It was a refreshing change from last season which was IMO so terrible I very nearly quit the show. I only watched this one to see if I'd want to tune in again. Last night gave me renewed hope the series will not suck this season.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Mr Light
Admiral

And here's hoping Frank and Charlie stay gay-married. They were already sleeping in the same bed anyway arguing over who pooped the bed

Old September 18 2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It was a refreshing change from last season which was IMO so terrible I very nearly quit the show.
This show is very similar to Futurama, in that they both go off-kilter when the writers try to think of too-weird topics for the humor. I know it must be tough to keep thinking of new topics, but they need to stick more closely to character-based humor, which is why the characters need to be stretched a bit so that there's something to base the humor on without being repetitive.

Charlie and Frank are evergreen so those two they can leave alone. This episode showed something newish for Dennis, Mac, and maybe Dee, which is great. Those are the ones that would benefit the most from some development (not a lot; these people aren't supposed to learn or ever grow out their perpetual adolescent obliviousness).
Old September 20 2010, 08:40 PM   #6
exodus
Fleet Admiral

I cracked up when Mac started bumping the two plugs together.
Old September 23 2010, 07:59 PM   #7
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Teelie wrote: View Post
It was a refreshing change from last season which was IMO so terrible I very nearly quit the show. I only watched this one to see if I'd want to tune in again. Last night gave me renewed hope the series will not suck this season.
I thought "Kitten Mittens", "Mac & Dennis Breakup" & "D.E.N.N.I.S." were hilarious!
Old September 23 2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I still like my crazy idea that as a follow up to the serial killer episode, they should have the gang kill weird looking people so they don't become serial killers in the future.
Old September 24 2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Teelie
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Teelie wrote: View Post
I thought "Kitten Mittens", "Mac & Dennis Breakup" & "D.E.N.N.I.S." were hilarious!
There were a few exceptions in the season but overall it really put me off. I haven't seen the latest episode of this season yet but I'm hoping it's as funny as the last one.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Harvey
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Unless I'm missing something, aren't Frank and Charlie father and son? Are they oblivious to that, don't realize it, or just don't care? They have got to have the flat-out most bizarre relationship on TV today.
It's been suggested, but having just marathoned every episode of the series (including, now, the two most recent episodes) I'm pretty sure it has never been confirmed. Frank just won't submit to a blood test.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Mr Light
Admiral

Yay, the second episode continued the marriage storylines. I was afraid it would just be forgotten. Too bad the chick with the dick didn't appear again. I think they should have kept Charlie and Frank gay-married, they practically already were anyway

Correct me if I'm wrong but this was the first appearance of Charlie's Uncle who molested him as a kid right? I was dying the way he was constantly finding excuses to be touching all the men in the room

Old September 24 2010, 03:48 PM   #12
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Yay, the second episode continued the marriage storylines. I was afraid it would just be forgotten. Too bad the chick with the dick didn't appear again. I think they should have kept Charlie and Frank gay-married, they practically already were anyway

Correct me if I'm wrong but this was the first appearance of Charlie's Uncle who molested him as a kid right? I was dying the way he was constantly finding excuses to be touching all the men in the room
No, Charlie's Uncle showed up back during s2 or 3, I think.

When Charlie moved out of his mom's house, his Uncle moved in and took over his room. That's when you discovered back when Charlie was young, his Uncle would come over and tried touching him at night.

I think the only think funnier than that this week was Stephen King's cameo on "Sons of Anarchy".
Old September 24 2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Geck
Rear Admiral

Another hilarious episode focusing more on the characters rather than totally outlandish situations. I personally think S4 was the low point of the series when I almost stopped watching, and S5 was a slight improvement, but I'm very hopeful about this season again so far.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It's been suggested, but having just marathoned every episode of the series (including, now, the two most recent episodes) I'm pretty sure it has never been confirmed. Frank just won't submit to a blood test.
So they basically know but don't want to know. Which makes their "marriage" all the more hilarious.
Old September 24 2010, 06:39 PM   #15
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

Geck wrote: View Post
Another hilarious episode focusing more on the characters rather than totally outlandish situations. I personally think S4 was the low point of the series when I almost stopped watching, and S5 was a slight improvement, but I'm very hopeful about this season again so far.
Really? Season 4 had my all time favorite episode "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis." Season 5 is where it started going downhill for me.