Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: Is this an appropriate form of punishment
Yes 7 15.56%
Not for children of any age 34 75.56%
Not for five year olds 1 2.22%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12 2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Sticky taping kid's mouths

An Australian teacher is in trouble for allegedly taping children's mouths closed with sticky (adhesive) tape because they wouldn't stop talking. One Australian newspaper conducted a poll and so far 49% of people have approved of the teacher's actions (though that newspaper didn't state that they children concerned were only about 5 years old). So I have included a poll here to see what people think.

From my local paper
A KALGOORLIE primary school teacher has been stood down while police investigate claims she sticky-taped students' mouths shut.
The West Australian Department of Education has confirmed police are investigating allegations a teacher at O'Connor Primary School in Kalgoorlie used sticky tape on students.
Executive director of the department's professional standards and conduct unit, Paul O'Connor, said the school had sent letters home to parents advising them that the incident was being investigated.
"As the allegations are very concerning, the teacher involved has been removed from teaching while inquiries are under way," Mr O'Connor said in a statement on Friday.
A parent of a five-year-old son who was involved in the incident said the teacher allegedly threatened students, saying she would tape their mouths shut if they did not stop talking in class.

Rest of story here
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Nociod
Fleet Captain

Re: Sticky taping kid's mouths

Voted Not for children of any age

There's other ways to deal with children that misbehaves. But did she actually do it, or just threaten to do it?

There's a difference, but of course, one shouldn't make threats that you're not willing to go through with, so either way, not a good idea.
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I don't think it's a very big deal, but it's also not an appopriate teaching method imo.
Old November 12 2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

But did she actually do it, or just threaten to do it?

According to one child she actually did it. He told his mother that if it came off she stuck another piece of tape over a child's mouth.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 10:58 AM   #5
windowsclifail
Cadet

Definitely Not for children of any age

Here in India, the kids already suffer a lot. This is certainly not a good way to educate.
Old November 12 2010, 11:07 AM   #6
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

No, that's ridiculous. And it could be dangerous if the kid has an allergy or some other sinus problem.
Old November 12 2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Dale
Vice Admiral

I think it's be OK if done by the parents. I am also OK with ritualized, non-damaging spanking and washing a child's mouth out with soap. I think we as a society shy away from these lessons and that there has been a cost in discipline and in the creation of "good citizens" who understand the crime/punishment paradigm clearly.

I don't, however, think teachers should be doing this sort of thing.

I clicked "other".

When I was a young kid we received a version of a "time out" that saw us standing against the chalkboard with our nose pressed in a drawn circle. For more serious offenses when I was older, at least while I lived in Iowa, there was ritualized paddling by either the principal (if the offense took place in the classroom) or by the coach if the offense (usually a uniform - i.e. no jockstrap - violation) happened during gym class.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 01:08 PM   #8
TerokNor
Captain

I think it is not ok under any circumstances (also not by parents!). This sort of discipline does not lead to actually understanding, it leads to more violence, to feelings of humiliation etc.
Also there is no non-damaging spanking in my opinion. There are others ways to teach children what is right and wrong in a certain society. Like an enviroment with good role-models, where the child feels wanted and valued, with partizipation when it comes for thinking of rules in children groups, with staying in dialog and relationship with the child ...

TerokNor

I support PLAN. http://plan-international.org/
TerokNor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Finn
Vice Admiral

It's distrubing some think it's okay. It's a form of negative punishment and does not lead to understanding. The teacher should have reinforced good behavior. Plus five year olds tend to be jittery and talkative. Many of them haven't learned or understand proper talking norms. They do not sit and stay quiet for long. The teacher should have planned around that trait.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 02:04 PM   #10
ByrdMan
Commodore

View ByrdMan's Twitter Profile

I had a teacher in grade school who did that. It really wasn't a big deal. Maybe not appropriate for 5 year olds (iirc, it was my 5th or 6th grade teacher), but this doesn't bend me out of shape too much.
ByrdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 03:44 PM   #11
ares93
Commodore

definitely not. but i cant but note that the kid was:
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 03:48 PM   #12
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I think it should totally be allowed; primarily for the LOLZ
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

WTF? Not appropriate for anyone to do any such thing to a child. If i were the kids parent i would be raising such a stink it isn't funny. Someone doing that to my child???? No fucking way.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Dale wrote: View Post
I think it's be OK if done by the parents. I am also OK with ritualized, non-damaging spanking and washing a child's mouth out with soap. I think we as a society shy away from these lessons and that there has been a cost in discipline and in the creation of "good citizens" who understand the crime/punishment paradigm clearly.
Good grief! Ritualized spanking? Washing a kid's mouth out with soap? What is this, 1952? The only lesson kids will learn is that adults are sadistic bastards.

As to the original post: any teacher tapes my kids' mouth shut, that will be her last day teaching.

I understand the frustration (my wife has taught 3rd grade for 15 years). Especially when the parents won't help or are in total denial. Still, that's an assault. No way would I tolerate that.

TerokNor wrote: View Post
Also there is no non-damaging spanking in my opinion.
There are certainly kids who are spanked who grow up fine.

But I find it completely unnecessary. We have two children (15 and 8) and we've never spanked either one of them. There's no reason. Or as I tell parents I work with: If you have to spank your 5 year old, that means he's outsmarted you.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

We really needed a poll to determine that teachers taping kid's mouths shut was not okay?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote