Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 26 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Indonesia Struck by Earthquake, Tsunami, & Volcanic Eruption

Indonesia tsunami deaths increase after Sumatra quake

26 October 2010 Last updated at 13:27 ET

More than 100 people have been killed and many are missing after a tsunami triggered by an earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, Indonesia.

Scores of houses were destroyed by waves after the 7.7 magnitude quake, which struck 20km (13 miles) under the ocean floor near the Mentawai islands.

Ten villages on the islands were swept away by the tsunami, a disaster official told the AFP news agency.

Damage and rough weather are delaying efforts to reach the affected area.

Hendri Dori Satoko, a lawmaker in the Mentawai islands, told Metro TV: "Our latest data from crisis centre showed that 108 people have been killed and 502 are still missing."

He said some of the missing could have fled to higher ground and were afraid to return to their homes.

Health ministry officials said 113 bodies had been recovered in the area so far, the Associated Press news agency reported.

The search and rescue operation is being seriously hampered by bad weather, officials have told the BBC's Karishma Vaswani in Jakarta.

Heavy rain is preventing helicopters from accessing the area and boats cannot reach the islands either because the dock on the island of South Pagai has been destroyed.

Poor communications have also made it hard for officials to gain accurate information, our correspondent adds.

The disaster comes as thousands of people are being evacuated from the area around the Mt Merapi volcano in central Java, after it began erupting.

But seismologists say there is very little chance that the two events are connected.

The quake hit late on Monday off the west coast of Sumatra. There is no tsunami warning system in place around the Mentawai islands, but the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued an alert of a local tsunami.

It later said a "significant tsunami" had been generated. The alert has now been cancelled as no further waves are expected, although the area is still experiencing strong aftershocks.

Eyewitnesses say a huge wave was created by the quake, which seriously damaged villages or even washed them away entirely.

The islands of South Pagai and North Pagai were reported to be particularly badly affected.

Waves reached 3m (10ft) high and the water swept inland as far as 600m on South Pagai island, said Mudjiharto - the head of Indonesia's health ministry crisis centre, who like many Indonesians goes by only one name.

He said 200 body bags were being sent to the region in case they were needed.

"Of the 200 people living in that village, only 40 have been found - 160 are still missing, mostly women and children," he said.

"We have people reporting to the security post here that they could not hold on to their children, that they were swept away. A lot of people are crying."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11626242
As if the Indonesian people hadn't gone through enough already, this happened within the span of hours as well, albeit in a different location:

Indonesian volcano erupts, up to 18 killed in ash

By SLAMET RIYADI, Associated Press Slamet Riyadi, Associated Press 1 hr 42 mins ago

MOUNT MERAPI, Indonesia – Indonesia's most volatile volcano erupted Tuesday after scientists warned that pressure building beneath its dome could trigger the most powerful explosion in years. At least 18 people were killed, including a two-month-old baby, according to doctors and media reports.

Smoke poured out of Mount Merapi, obscuring its cone, according to footage from the private station, Metro TV. Police and volunteers were shown carrying ash-covered corpses, some wrapped in blankets and yellow body bags, to waiting vehicles.

Thousands of villagers started streaming off the 9,737-foot- (2,968-meter-) high mountain as darkness fell Tuesday, crowding into makeshift emergency shelters with straw sleeping mats and bags of clothes and food.

Earlier, many had refused to budge, saying they wanted to tend to crops along volcano's fertile slopes and protect their homes against looters.

While there are fears the current activity could foreshadow a much more destructive explosion in the coming weeks or months, Gede Swantika, a government vulcanologist, said the mountain appeared to be releasing some pressure building up beneath the lava dome.

"It's too early to know for sure," he said, adding a big blast could still be coming. "But if it continues like this for a while, we are looking at a slow, long eruption."

As they contended with the volcano, Indonesian officials were also trying to assess the impact of Monday's 7.7-magnitude earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, about 800 miles (1,300 kilometers) from Merapi. The temblor caused a tsunami that left hundreds dead or missing on a string of remote islands.

Subandriyo, the chief of vulcanologist monitoring Merapi from a nearby observation post, said the eruption began just before dusk Tuesday. A 15-minute thunderous rumble was followed by a huge burst of searing ash that shot hundreds of yards (meters) into the air.

Rocks and debris cascaded down the side of Merapi, which literally means Mountain of Fire.

Officials earlier said, by closely monitoring the volcano — which lies on the main island of Java, some 310 miles (500 kilometers) southeast of the capital Jakarta — they hoped to avoid causalities.

But the death toll was quickly climbing.

An infant died Tuesday when a mother ran in panic after the eruption started, said Mareta, a hospital worker who goes by only one name. As the child's tiny body was covered with a white blanket, his mother looked on, crying hysterically.

Three people at Panti Nugroho hospital succumbed to bad burns after being hit by a searing cloud of ash, said Agustinus Parjo, a spokesman. News portal Detik.com reported 14 other bodies were found in several houses in a mountainside village. It cited an official who visited the site. Metro TV, which showed authorities carrying bodies out of the homes, said 15 were pulled out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101026/...onesia_volcano
Obviously given Indonesia's past and recent history of natural disasters (Krakatau/Krakatoa and the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami to name two of many), neither volcanoes, earthquakes, or tsunamis are unusual in and of themselves. But to have an earthquake (which triggered the fatal tsunami) and an unrelated fatal volcanic eruption hit within the span a single day is unbelievably bad luck.

Here's hoping that the deaths are not as high as they're predicting and that a lot of the missing have simply gone to higher ground for a while.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Jetfire

Re: Indonesia Struck by Earthquake, Tsunami, & Volcanic Eruption

I hope things aren't as bad as it sounds...that is horrible. A Earthquake, Tsunami, & Volcanic Eruption happening all in the same day has got to be terrifying.
Old October 26 2010, 11:14 PM   #3
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Bloody hell. This is terrible. I hope all of those missing people turn up alive. This sounds pretty ominous, though.
Old October 27 2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Leviathan
Commander

geez. They can't catch a break.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 09:59 AM   #5
RJDiogenes

According to CNN, the death toll from the volcano is up to at least 25 and the fatalities for the tsunami are at least 154, with hundreds still missing. Considering the damage, this is likely to get much worse.
Old October 27 2010, 10:03 AM   #6
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Here's hoping for a swift rescue and recovery, and that no one else is injured.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 12:35 PM   #7
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

I read about this on CNN yesterday.
Very sad and can only hope for swift aid and lower numbers.

It's also just a bit scary, Mother Earth seems a bit upset these days.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 11:41 PM   #8
RJDiogenes

The death toll is up to 29 from the volcano and 282 from the quake. Hundreds are still missing. There are still major accessibility and communication problems with the areas hit by the tsunami.
Old October 28 2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Leviathan wrote: View Post
geez. They can't catch a break.
My punning muscle is working overtime right about now. The proximity of the words tsunami/waves, catching, and break (and even Leviathan) are throwing several surfing related gags to mind, and not a single one of them is remotely tasteful in the circumstances...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 05:16 AM   #10
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Gourd wrote: View Post
But to have an earthquake (which triggered the fatal tsunami) and an unrelated fatal volcanic eruption hit within the span a single day is unbelievably bad luck.
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the eruption was related to the earthquake - I can see the earthquake causing a shift that opened up a path for the volcano to start spewing, and the island isn't that big.

(Caveat: I'm not a vulcanologist - I don't even play one on TV - or a geologist. My only experience with earth science was in glaciology 20 years ago, when I worked at Radarsat. I shared an office with a geologist, but we worked on separate projects.)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 11:53 AM   #11
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

I think your idea has merit, [b]Toronto Trekker[b]. If the quake can be the cause of the Tsunami, as has been proven, can volcanoes be left out?

If all the earth science specialties shared information more we might know more. It's why I stated a bit of apprehension in the way Ol' Mother Earth is acting up/out lately.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 12:17 PM   #12
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
But to have an earthquake (which triggered the fatal tsunami) and an unrelated fatal volcanic eruption hit within the span a single day is unbelievably bad luck.
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the eruption was related to the earthquake - I can see the earthquake causing a shift that opened up a path for the volcano to start spewing, and the island isn't that big.
They were different islands: Java for the volcano and the Mentawai Islands off of Sumatra for the earthquake and tsunami, which are about 1300 kilometers apart.

Seismologists said that there's no evidence that the two events are related. Merapi is one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia (which has 129 other active volcanoes), having erupted and caused fatalities in 2006, 1994, and 1930 with other more minor eruptions in between. This eruption was described as the volcano undergoing a large but relatively common release of pent up pressure, possibly in anticipation of a larger eruption in the near future, depending on whether it forms a lava dome or not.
Old October 29 2010, 04:57 AM   #13
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

They were different islands: Java for the volcano and the Mentawai Islands off of Sumatra for the earthquake and tsunami, which are about 1300 kilometers apart.
Ah. I only saw the one map with the story about it. Mind you, I read it quickly because it was way past bedtime, so it's possible that I failed to notice a second map.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2010, 09:27 PM   #14
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Some video showing scenes of the aftermath of the Merapi eruption:

...Merapi Volcano in Indonesia erupted quite catastrophically sending huge pyroclastic flows down its slopes, killing at least 33 people in the process. The highly populated region on and around the volcano was evacuated, but not everyone could get out in time. Since the initial explosions, the eruptive nature of Merapi has changed. The volcano is now moving from explosive to effusive lava flow activity. This may mean that the danger is lessening, but the threat of more pyroclastic flows remains uncertain.
Source: http://trekmovie.com/2010/10/30/scie...llphones-more/
Old October 31 2010, 12:12 AM   #15
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Merapi erupted again:

Troops force villagers away from volcano as Mount Merapi erupts again

Published Date: 31 October 2010
By Slamet Riyadi

Mount Merapi, Indonesia
INDONESIA'S military forced villagers off the slopes of the country's most volatile volcano yesterday, carrying some away screaming as the mountain sent clouds of grey ash cascading down its slopes in its most powerful explosion yet.
The notoriously unpredictable Mount Merapi forced the temporary closure of an airport and claimed another life, bringing the death toll for the week to 36.

Hundreds of miles to the west, meanwhile, relief workers said a total of 135 people missing since a tsunami hit a remote Indonesian island chain have been found alive or have returned to their villages after fleeing to the hills to escape the giant wave. There are still 163 missing and 413 dead from the tsunami, officials said.

Many tsunami survivors waited for food and other supplies yesterday as violent storms grounded all aid deliveries. Some of those injured by the towering wave were suffering without painkillers and could die if they weren't evacuated, doctors said at one hospital.

The catastrophes, striking earlier in the week at different ends of the seismically active country, have severely tested the emergency response network. Indonesia lies in the Pacific "Ring of Fire", a cluster of fault lines prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Mount Merapi, which sprang back to life early last week, unleashed a 21-minute eruption yesterday followed by more than 350 volcanic tremors and 33 ash bursts, said Surono, chief of the Centre for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/Troops-...rom.6606310.jp
Good news that they found 135 of the people missing after the tsunami alive though.