RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 832
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 30 2009, 02:55 AM   #1
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Epic Mickey - a twisted/steampunk take on Disney coming to Wii

Warren Spector, producer of the Wing Commander games, some of the Ultima games, and Deus Ex is currently worked on a game currently only known as Epic Mickey. A little bit of info on this game was posted about half a year back, including a rumor that Mario would be in the game, though today some pieces of concept art have appeared on the Internet.

Kotaku has at least some of the concept art posted, including enemies, environments and at the bottom of the page a sea based invasion.

Looks like an interesting take on the Disney universe. Warren Spector has a pretty good track record, I have really high hopes for this game.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
USS Triumphant
Commodore

Re: Epic Mickey - a twisted/steampunk take on Disney coming to Wii

Kingdom Hearts III?

My whole family loves the KH games, so I hope so, or something similar, anyway.
Old July 30 2009, 10:44 PM   #3
DBR
Vice Admiral

I love it so far! However little of it's been revealed, anyway!
Old July 30 2009, 11:57 PM   #4
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

USS_Triumphant wrote: View Post
Kingdom Hearts III?

My whole family loves the KH games, so I hope so, or something similar, anyway.
Unlikely, this game is coming from Junction Point Studios, which is owned by Disney.

There are upcoming DS and PSP Kingdom Heart games, though I wouldn't expect Kingdom Hearts III for awhile, the team that worked on the first two is working on Final Fantasy XIII Versus, which wont be out until 2010 at the earliest.

Old July 31 2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

A little more rumored info on the game: You can paint levels with the Wiimote, drawing and erasing whole parts of the level. The story apparently has forgotten Disney characters rising up against Mickey.

Old July 31 2009, 09:07 PM   #6
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Wow, I didn't know that this was the Warren Spector project. I'm not sure what to think now.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2009, 06:32 PM   #7
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Hmm, the concept art certainly looks interesting. Although I have a Wii I'll go ahead and say: It's a shame it's on the Wii. I'd love to see those visuals adapted to a platform such as the Xbox or the PS3. That would look fantastic.

Naturally, how it plays will be the most important aspect.

But still...
Old October 5 2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

GameInformer has put up a picture of the cover of their next issue with an amazing piece of Epic Mickey artwork, along with confirming that it's a Wii exclusive. It says subscribers should be getting their issues around October 12 so expect more info then. Additionally it says the GameInformer website will have even more on Epic Mickey over the next few weeks.
The art looks a bit different then the leaked concept art but it looks really good. Also the Haunted Mansion is part of the art which is really exciting for me since it's my favorite Disney ride.

Old October 6 2009, 09:02 PM   #9
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Wow, Mickey looks surprisingly scary there, doesn't he? Definitely looking interesting, I think.
Old October 7 2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Fascinating-may have to get GI just to check it out.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2009, 06:24 PM   #11
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
Hmm, the concept art certainly looks interesting. Although I have a Wii I'll go ahead and say: It's a shame it's on the Wii. I'd love to see those visuals adapted to a platform such as the Xbox or the PS3. That would look fantastic.

But still...
I know what you mean. I'm a game-play before flash person, but this is going to be a very visual game and it would be nice to see it realized with the best hardware currently on the market which is, unfortunately, not the Wii.

The end result is what matters, we'll have to see.
Old October 11 2009, 07:40 PM   #12
clint g
Admiral

FrighteningSVT wrote: View Post

But still...
I know what you mean. I'm a game-play before flash person, but this is going to be a very visual game and it would be nice to see it realized with the best hardware currently on the market which is, unfortunately, not the Wii.

I suggest you guys take a look at games such as Twilight Princess, Muramasa, and Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon. While the Wii may not be the most powerful system out there, it has proved itself when it comes to stylized art designs.
Old October 11 2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Warren Spector, producer of the Wing Commander games, some of the Ultima games, and Deus Ex
Point of order: While Warren Spector was generally credited as a producer on almost all of ORIGIN Systems' games during his tenure there, his involvement with Wing Commander (which in and of itself was limited to the first two games, their expansions and the Privateer expansion) was rather minimal. Chris Roberts is the fellow who truly deserves the "producer" title.
Old October 11 2009, 09:54 PM   #14
billcosby
Commodore

This is very interesting; albeit somewhat polarizing.

When I lived in Japan, there was a near universal acclaim for Disney, in particular it's cute characters. I marveled at the fact older men in their 60s felt comfortable with a plush mickey doll swinging from their briefcases coming home on the express at 11pm! Cute things like Disney have a never ending demand and the Disney brand was stronger and more visible then I'd ever seen it.

Flash forward to this spring when I moved back to Canadiana and noticed once again the level of contempt, disgust and cynicism aimed at anything Disney. It peaked last month when Disney acquired Marvel. There aren't quite as many people wearing mickey keychains, even though there is still a lot of love here for the brand. Perhaps mostly through children?

Anyway, thanks for that Kotaku link for the steampunk Mickey stuff. I think this could actually work in a North American market because the design appeals to the locals.

Having said that, I can't imagine it would be popular in Japan, since it doesn't look cute enough. I fully intend to show my wife (my personal Japanese expert on cuteness ) some of the artwork later and I'm sure she won't approve. She'll say "kawaii kunai" (not. cute.)!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2009, 02:01 PM   #15
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
FrighteningSVT wrote: View Post

But still...

I suggest you guys take a look at games such as Twilight Princess, Muramasa, and Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon. While the Wii may not be the most powerful system out there, it has proved itself when it comes to stylized art designs.
Well, it's essentially all about working within the restrictions of the system, isn't it? A more stylized approach is certainly better suited to the Wii than very realistic looking games.

Still, even a more stylized game can benefit from more powerful hardware. There are simply less limitations. And the end result is bound to be more impressive.

I also have to say that the fact that the Wii is not HD bothers me more and more over time. If you see a Wii game next to almost any Xbox game, the resolution alone will let it down on a visual level.

Naturally, the game has to be fun to play, first and foremost, as Clint G pointed out.