Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 26 2010, 05:07 AM   #31
Wingsley
Commodore

Re: Planet of the Titans U.S.S. Enterprise

I love this too, although I agree with Potemkin_Prod's comments about the aft nacelle caps. Maybe you could borrow a concept from deg3d's TOS remake concept.

I love everything but the lettering on the hull. Too TMP/TNG-ish. I suppose it's just me, but I would love to see the "Airborne"-style block-lettering typeface from the TOS Enterprise brought back, and the boomerang-style Starfleet pennant with it.
Old October 26 2010, 10:32 AM   #32
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Wowzers! Well done, man!

I could see the first Study Model being a concept ship- it tried out all the technology going into this concept. Maybe a few were made and the project shelved for a while. The originals carried on menial support assignments. Then Starfleet decided to revive the ship concept, and along comes your design!

What I don't like (and I wouldn't expect you to change your baby here), are the impulse engines- I would make them a wee bit larger (just a bit though), the nacelle cowlings, and the end caps on the nacelles- red and recessed like that just don't do it for me.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2010, 02:43 PM   #33
Epsilon IX
Fleet Captain

I'm in the same camp as those who didn't like the McQuarrie design until now (perhaps it's because this has been fleshed out considerably more than McQuarrie's rudimentary pencil sketches). Keep up the good work.
Old October 26 2010, 09:29 PM   #34
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Arrr-TERRORzon wrote: View Post
B.J. wrote: View Post
kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
severally
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Might be shooting for severely, but I'm not sure that really works either.

At least it's not "hella".
yes severely. Sorry im a genetically bad speller ^__^;
Old October 26 2010, 09:31 PM   #35
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

awesome new pics of this
Old October 27 2010, 01:38 AM   #36
LordSarvain
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks again for the comments.

Potemkin_Prod - End caps will probably remain as is but I'm curious about the retractable bulbs, which ship had those? Is that something from the new movie? My eyes may have been overcome by the lens flares lol

Psion - Yes, the signage on the nacelles is lit by the rows of lights at the top and bottom. The big windows under the hangar bay are the botanical gardens, no sense dragging trees and such all through the ship when you can just drop it down a hole in the ceiling. Now that just made think of adding in a shuttle with a tree strapped to the roof landing in the bay... hmmm... Between the main hangar and the smaller bay #1 is a shuttle repair bay. I might open up that smaller bay later on so you can see inside.

Wingsley - I actually tried out that font on this ship but it just didn't look right. I think if I were doing a more rigid version closer to RM's original concept with a lot of straight lines it might work. I think my version is just too curvy so TMP font seemed to work better. I really like deg3d's version of the TOS Enterprise but I really try, not always successfully, but I do try very hard not to borrow from someone else's models. It's not that I think that I can do a better job of it (certainly not in the case of deg3d) but just because I want to try and make something unique.

Patrickivan - Impulse engines are being reworked and they will be bigger, but the warp engines are pretty much done, for this version anyway

Well back to work, more pics soon!
LordSarvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 06:01 PM   #37
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

I am really beginning to love this ship. I was never a favorite of McQuarrie design, but this is fantastic. I love the progress that is being made and totally well done. I am looking foreward to more updates, keep them coming.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 06:59 PM   #38
caisson2delta
Captain

Beautiful work. I love the nacelle design you came up with and how it sort of flows into the "wings"/ secondary hull area.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 01:56 AM   #39
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

LordSarvain wrote: View Post
Potemkin_Prod - End caps will probably remain as is but I'm curious about the retractable bulbs, which ship had those? Is that something from the new movie? My eyes may have been overcome by the lens flares lol
The original series Enterprise. I'm one of the crazy camp that believes that the spheres on the end caps came out when in warp and retracted when in impulse behind the vents. I don't believe there's any thrust there (as confirmed by TMP's Enterprise with the fluted wing tips on the warp drive ends). Your model's beautiful, but makes it look like there's 60's batmobile-esque exhaust nozzles back there.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 04:13 AM   #40
LordSarvain
Lieutenant Commander

More pics!

LordSarvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 05:21 AM   #41
Horizon
Commander

It looks excellent and it makes some great "What if..." scenarios in my mind.

But I want to poke my brain with a Q-tip right now because when I saw the close up of the phasers a Cylon voice spoke in my ear saying, "By your command."
Old October 28 2010, 06:41 AM   #42
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

You're not the only one who saw Cylons

The beauty of this ship continues to amaze. Still, I'm glad, no matter how nice it could've looked in 1977, that they didn't change the Enterprise so radically.

I mean, we were up in arms when Abrams made the E look like he did in an alternate timeline/universe.

In the original concept art, was that chute at the rear (right under the hangar doors) supposed to be the impulse engines? (sorry if that was asked before)
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 05:37 PM   #43
Ptrope
Agitator

Here I was just wondering last week if the "flying cheese wedge" could be made into something desirable - glad to see it can! Nice job! Looking forward to more - textured, I'll bet this is gonna be really stellar (NPI).
Old October 28 2010, 05:54 PM   #44
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Wow, totally fantastic. Great work.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 07:40 PM   #45
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Nice ship.