Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 13 2010, 09:33 PM   #106
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Oh I know such a self-directed game with much better graphics than that.
Don't let the graphics fool you, this game isn't a basic 8-bit game, it is resource intensive. It frequently uses between 1-1.5GB of RAM when running, and it frequently suffers framerate issues when exploring new chunks. Making the graphics look better would just make an already resource hungry game even worse and it would have even greater difficulty running on older PCs. Presumably, it will be optimised in beta so as not to be quite as resource-hungry as it is now, but by that time changing the graphics would be a mistake as they have come to be part of its charm. A more detailed creeper skin wouldn't be able to express the same sense of threatening sadness that the current skin does.
Wait, low graphics AND ressource intensive? LOL.
...and your point is?
Old December 13 2010, 09:36 PM   #107
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Don't let the graphics fool you, this game isn't a basic 8-bit game, it is resource intensive. It frequently uses between 1-1.5GB of RAM when running, and it frequently suffers framerate issues when exploring new chunks. Making the graphics look better would just make an already resource hungry game even worse and it would have even greater difficulty running on older PCs. Presumably, it will be optimised in beta so as not to be quite as resource-hungry as it is now, but by that time changing the graphics would be a mistake as they have come to be part of its charm. A more detailed creeper skin wouldn't be able to express the same sense of threatening sadness that the current skin does.
...and your point is?
That I'll better stick to games with much better graphics and no framerate issues.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2010, 09:43 PM   #108
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

...and your point is?
That I'll better stick to games with much better graphics and no framerate issues.
Suit yourself. I think you're missing out, but to each his own.
Old December 13 2010, 09:57 PM   #109
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Wait, very low graphics AND ressource intensive? LOL.
Do you know any other games that can procedurally generate a world up to 8 times the surface area of the Earth and that allow you to completely reshape that world to your liking? The game has performance issues because a) it's in alpha and performance issues are normally cleaned up in beta, and b) it does more than most other games on the market.

Fair enough.

For those that haven't played the game and aren't shallow enough to let the graphics put them off, the game is entering beta on the 20th, so if you want to buy the game, buy it now. Once it's in beta, not only will the price go up, but you'll have to pay for any additional DLC that comes out post release, while alpha purchasers will get it all free because of the poorly worded terms on the site. It's only €10/$15, so you're almost certain to get your money's worth from it.
Old December 13 2010, 10:11 PM   #110
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Yeah, I paid under $15 for it and it's money well spent. Certainly a better value than most retail games.
Old December 13 2010, 10:52 PM   #111
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Meh. I play it on my netbook with no real issues. It's not that intensive, unless you're playing on a 6 year old machine.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2010, 06:57 PM   #112
Steven
Admiral

Ok, I can see why this game can be addictive. I finally got around to buying it and started playing a little while ago.

Spent my first night in a nice little hole I dug in the mountain to get some stone. It was starting to get dark, so I sat back and watched... things starting to move around in the distance. And make noise. I plopped down some of the stone I had to seal off the entrance and continued to watch though the little opening over the naturally dug hole in front of my little cave

And then something dropped down the hole right in front me and scared the crap out of me! I stayed as still as I could the rest of the night.

Finally, light started coming, so I decided to see what had scared the crap out of me earlier. And ended up falling down the hole right in front of it. It then proceeded to quickly and efficiently kill me.

Old December 20 2010, 11:10 AM   #113
Peak
Fleet Captain

Today is Beta-day..

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 04:09 PM   #114
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Does the beta bring any big changes or is it just bringing minor fixes? In fact, has there been any big updates recently on the singleplayer side of things?

I stopped playing about a month ago and I haven't been following update news since then. I'm sure I'll go back to it in the new year, this does seem like the sort of game that I'll be playing on and off until I get a computer that is too advanced to run it.
Old December 20 2010, 04:14 PM   #115
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

I believe getting to beta was all about getting the MP functionality working. Now that it's in beta Notch has talked about working on the single player experience.

I'm still wanting more customization in terms of how things look, like colored cloth blocks. I'm also hoping there will be a substantial modding capability so people can add new mobs, biomes, block types, craftables, etc. To me, that would make this an endlessly extensible game.
Old December 20 2010, 07:12 PM   #116
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Apparently, you can now throw the eggs.
Old December 20 2010, 07:21 PM   #117
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

You can throw the eggs? Do they do anything when you throw them? It would be funny if Creepers had a fatal allergy to eggs or something.
Old December 20 2010, 10:24 PM   #118
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Or better yet, Creepers are attracted to broken eggs so you can bait them in traps or distract them while you make a run for it!

I wouldn't mind a better tool for extensive tunnel digging like a drill or a laser or something. Just to cut down on the time it takes to dig out large projects. Just to make it a challenge to build and not too much of a game breaker it'd have to require some difficult to acquire ingredients...like say a diamond, a fair bit of iron and perhaps some redstone and/or a furnace for power.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 10:45 PM   #119
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Or better yet, Creepers are attracted to broken eggs so you can bait them in traps or distract them while you make a run for it!

I wouldn't mind a better tool for extensive tunnel digging like a drill or a laser or something. Just to cut down on the time it takes to dig out large projects. Just to make it a challenge to build and not too much of a game breaker it'd have to require some difficult to acquire ingredients...like say a diamond, a fair bit of iron and perhaps some redstone and/or a furnace for power.
Or make it easier to obtain TNT for mass blasting.

(No, I have not yet built a Creeper trap. Maybe I should?)
Old December 21 2010, 12:53 AM   #120
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I built one and sealed myself in the "receiving slot" and left the program running all night. Had about 4 and a half full stacks of gunpowder by morning. Still, TNT isn't that useful for digging as it only takes a chunk about 4-6 blocks deep.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote