RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 757
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 12 2010, 04:45 PM   #76
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

froot wrote: View Post
Peak, redstone becomes extremely plentiful once you dig down to the bedrock level. If you're not using it much, you may find you'll even ignore it after a while!
I always collect it even though I never use it, and I now have at least 10 full stacks of it. Maybe I should use it to build a flashing sign above my mountain base, Fort Jupiter.

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
*sneaks up behind TheGodBen* SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Damn you, I had just finished that window!

Lindley wrote: View Post
I should probably play this at some point. I've been a bit put off by the block-like graphics, but then it occurred to me how awesome it would be if the blocks were based on LEGOs.
I wouldn't worry about the graphics so much, the game is so immersive that I sometimes forget the dark cave I'm exploring is made out of giant blocks, and sometimes the game creates some stunning scenery.

So far this year, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption were fighting for the top-spot as my game of the year, but now I'm almost tempted to give the prize to Minecraft. The only thing holding me back is that it's still not officially finished.
Old November 14 2010, 05:52 PM   #77
SPCTRE
N7

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Old November 20 2010, 09:26 AM   #78
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

I just bit the bullet and downloaded this, and oh gods, is it ever addictive!

My first night was spent huddling in hastily walled-off cave, but I was eventually able to construct a proper shelter. Here's my home base so far. It's... well, not impressive at all, but it keeps the scary monsters out at night.

I've got a mine not too far away behind my shelter, where I've found both iron and coal. I think I need to study crafting recipes so I can figure out what I want to do with it next.
Old November 20 2010, 01:50 PM   #79
froot
Fleet Captain

^ Minepedia is your one-stop shop for crafting recipes and game info. Or you can look at Robert Maxwell's wondrous chart!

http://gorzek.com/recipes.html

Awesome base, but beware when buliding with wood - if you put fire or lava (torches are okay) anywhere near that stuff, you could be out a roof! The heat from fire and lava can set flammable blocks on fire, even from a bit of a distance.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2010, 05:22 PM   #80
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I've started working on a 100x100 castle. I laid down the outline just to get a sense for how big it's going to be. I think I need a lot of cobblestone.

There are two mountains I have to level out, and one corner of it hangs out over a beach. Sadly, this was the flattest area I could find anywhere near my spawn point. I have enough iron I can use iron pickaxes and shovels for everything, though. Helps move things along more quickly.

I haven't laid out the floor plan of the castle yet but it's big enough I put whatever I want in there. I've been meaning to create an underground tree farm, so I'll probably build that underneath.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2010, 07:27 PM   #81
Canadave
Vice Admiral

froot wrote: View Post
^ Minepedia is your one-stop shop for crafting recipes and game info. Or you can look at Robert Maxwell's wondrous chart!

http://gorzek.com/recipes.html

Awesome base, but beware when buliding with wood - if you put fire or lava (torches are okay) anywhere near that stuff, you could be out a roof! The heat from fire and lava can set flammable blocks on fire, even from a bit of a distance.
Yeah, I've been perusing Minepedia, it helped me not-die on my first night.

And thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to keep them well away from the wooden parts of my base.
Old November 21 2010, 05:52 AM   #82
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I put up some screenshots of what I've been doing in Minecraft: http://gorzek.com/minecraft/

Here's a shot of the area I've enclosed for my castle: http://gorzek.com/minecraft/screenshot.59.jpg

The walls will eventually be about as high as the towers on the corners. Yeah, I need a lot of cobblestone...
My blog
Old November 21 2010, 05:56 AM   #83
Canadave
Vice Admiral

^ I'm impressed. It's certainly far more ambitious than the pokey little keep I've built myself.
Old November 21 2010, 08:05 PM   #84
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The walls will eventually be about as high as the towers on the corners. Yeah, I need a lot of cobblestone...
I'd like to help you out, having stockpiled six large chests full of cobblestone, but it's SP.

I haven't played much Minecraft lately, but I have stockpiled a nice amount of resources (two large chests full of stone and 120 blocks of Iron ), so I'm set to build stuff now.

Then again, I'm tempted to rejoin the SMP server I was playing on before the Halloween update (they reset the map at the time and I started my SP world). They've built some impressive stuff. I especially like the Colosseum, it's still under construction but already very impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkl81iX9j-Q
Old November 21 2010, 09:25 PM   #85
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Don't sweat it, building my castle is one of those things I just gradually get the materials for while I'm out mining. I figured up I need something like 200 stacks of cobblestone just to complete the outer wall so it's not like I'm in a hurry.

I went exploring and found some surface-accessible caves. One of them goes straight into a dungeon with a zombie spawner. Wicked. That's a prime candidate for turning into a trap, methinks. I just wish you could move spawners around. I'd love to get a bunch of them and put them in a trap room and have myself a nice little loot factory.
My blog
Old November 21 2010, 09:41 PM   #86
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I do have over 300 stacks of cobblestone stockpiled, which is why I would've liked being able to donate them since I don't really need them at this time. I just figured that I should stockpile them in case I ever decide to build a huge structure out of cobblestone.

I'm currently thinking about expanding my minecart network, having enough iron to produce about 3000 blocks of railroad, but since autocart hasn't been updated yet for the latest updates ...

I do like the threat of mobs in SP, but I also like the feeling of a community effort you get when building stuff in SMP*, but so far health hasn't been implemented in SMP yet, although it'll be done soon according to Notch.

It'll be hard to basically abandon my SP world, but I think I'll go back to SMP soon.

* I started a project to recreate Isengard before the SMP reset, but we never got to finish it. It was awesome what we accomplished in a short time. At some point, there were about a dozen miners working on my project. I miss that.
Old November 21 2010, 10:26 PM   #87
Reverend
Rear Admiral

There is a way to manufacture massive amounts of cobblestone with just one bucket of lava and one of water. You basically pillar straight up and dump the lava just next to and below the block you're standing on. The you wait till the flow reaches the ground then scoop up the flow spring again and dump the water on it. As the water overtakes the lava it turns it to cobble stone. If you keep doing this down the line and remember to collect the lava and water every time you can easily make very tall walls this way. It's a HUGE time saver!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 12:47 AM   #88
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Yeah, I've seen that trick, I just need to try it out sometime. It looks pretty cool!
My blog
Old November 22 2010, 12:56 AM   #89
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I've not been playing recently, I'm doing another playthrough of Mass Effect 1 at the moment and I'll return to it next week when health has been implemented in multiplayer. The server I was on in being moved so that it can still be saved, but when the update comes out next week they're going to start a new survival mode where TNT, lava, fire, and various other deadly things will be enabled. Should be fun.
Old November 22 2010, 01:12 AM   #90
Peak
Fleet Captain

Because I'm always lost, I'm currently building a road system on the water (there's a lot of water around my map), and small way-stations at the crossroads (small buildings with a chest, furnace and workbench) where I can hide during the night and unload the stuff that I've mined during the day. Currently working myself toward two big cave systems which I know about.

The only annoying thing with my first waystation is that it's on the water, and zombies and skeletons tend to stay in the water when day comes, so they don't burn up.. My second waystation is on a beach, at least. The third one will be right beneath a mountain with a big cave.

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote