Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 9 2011, 02:56 PM   #841
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Todays ProTip:

Never punch the runaway minecart you're in while on a bridge over a lava pool. Especially when you're carrying your entire stock of iron, a diamond sword, a full set of iron armor, a lot of wood, and a bunch of powered and regular rails.

*sizzle*
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; May 9 2011 at 04:42 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 03:52 PM   #842
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Oh jeez. Did that happen on the server? You have my sympathy.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 04:38 PM   #843
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
No, it was on one of my single player worlds dangit. Lord, who needs Creepers when I'm such a danger to myself?

I set up a test track on the server running from near main spawn to over behind GodBen's penthouse. I managed to solve the runaway cart problem by using a button instead of a switch to activate it. The rides a little jerky due to lag, but it seems to work okay. Give it a try and see what you guys think.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old May 9 2011, 05:03 PM   #844
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Sweet. I figured up we'll need about 800 iron () to do a rail line to the frontier--and that's standard rails, not powered.

To do powered rails, we'd need 77 gold (assuming we use the optimal powered rail spacing of 26 blocks) as the route is roughly 2000 blocks long. I guess that really isn't very much!
My blog
Old May 9 2011, 05:29 PM   #845
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I set up a test track on the server running from near main spawn to over behind GodBen's penthouse. I managed to solve the runaway cart problem by using a button instead of a switch to activate it. The rides a little jerky due to lag, but it seems to work okay. Give it a try and see what you guys think.
I've found the same thing with boats. They kind of jerk along instead of moving smoothly.

Also, I can sympathize re: lava. I have a bad habit of playing around with it and forgetting to toss my stuff in a chest...
Old May 9 2011, 05:32 PM   #846
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I've learned to be careful with fire on the server. People have wooden houses and stuff and I'd feel really bad if I burned someone else's house down with an out-of-control forest fire.
My blog
Old May 9 2011, 05:40 PM   #847
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

I've learned to be careful with fire on the server. People have wooden houses and stuff and I'd feel really bad if I burned someone else's house down with an out-of-control forest fire.
Of course, this can be used to one's advantage as well. I mean, I'd hate to see what would happen if I "accidentally" got careless with flint and steel near Cutter's tree. It'd be a shame, one that's easily preventable by sending money to the following, uh, fire safety PayPal account...

Old May 9 2011, 05:42 PM   #848
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I've already joked that I'm the corrupt mayor of our town and if people don't pay tribute in diamonds, you might find someone spawned a Creeper in your house...
My blog
Old May 9 2011, 05:58 PM   #849
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Hah, I have to admit, it made me nervous when I saw you set fire to things not too far from my house, Robert.

As for the rail line, since it's such a long way, I figure the cart would need a boost once in awhile, so it doesn't have to be powered rails all the way, but in certain strategic spots, a bit similar to how rollercoasters work. But I think we'd need two rails. One for going there and one for coming back, unless it can be done with one rail.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 06:00 PM   #850
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Don't worry, I checked the boundaries of the trees I wanted to clear before lighting them up. I wanted to make sure it didn't reach up to your place!

And we only have to place powered rails every 26 blocks or so, for maximum efficiency.
My blog
Old May 9 2011, 09:14 PM   #851
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

And we only have to place powered rails every 26 blocks or so, for maximum efficiency.

I did not know that. I'll adjust my spacings accordingly.

I can probably chip in ninety or a hundred iron, and maybe some gold to the rail line. Theres 10 pieces of rail in my freebie chest already. The way my test track is set up, its easy enough to just extend it.
Old May 9 2011, 09:16 PM   #852
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Cutter John wrote: View Post

I did not know that. I'll adjust my spacings accordingly.

I can probably chip in ninety or a hundred iron, and maybe some gold to the rail line. Theres 10 pieces of rail in my freebie chest already. The way my test track is set up, its easy enough to just extend it.
I'll remember you when the purge comes and Slagville is laid ruin.
My blog
Old May 9 2011, 10:00 PM   #853
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

So this is me and bros latest project on our little friend groups server:

A Japanese style castle/fortress. It's gonna be several more levels and a lot more around, but we decided to start at the top.
Old May 9 2011, 10:40 PM   #854
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Very slick, dude!
My blog
Old May 10 2011, 12:27 AM   #855
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Are you using the rustic texture pack, Emher? I tried it for awhile yesterday. I still prefer my cell-shaded pack though.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote