Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 21 2011, 08:09 PM   #676
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Re: Minecraft

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
That tower is awesome as hell. I wish I'd built anything that cool. And man, it must suck if you accidentally place an obsidian block in the wrong spot...
It wasn't that bad. I think I misplaced about ten blocks.
Thats only 150 seconds of additional "remining" time.

Then again I had built the entire tower with cobblestone first in order to get the shape right.
After that it was just a matter of replacing each cobblestone block with obsidian.

What you see is actually the "second draft". The first tower was almost twice as wide and I realised midway that it would have to be way to high in order to get the proportions I wanted.
Thankfully, tearing down cobblestone and restarting from scratch is way less tedious and rage-inducing as tearing down obsidian.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 08:38 PM   #677
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

^ Even so, the time investment for mining all that stuff in the first place must have been ridiculous. Not to mention having to find diamond for your picks. In short, awesome tower.
Old April 21 2011, 10:04 PM   #678
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Thanks.

I guess that's still nothing compared to this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMlhKI-pzE

He built a working CPU using redstone circuitry. It can add, substract, divide and generate random numbers.

It really is amazing what people do with this game.
Old April 21 2011, 11:29 PM   #679
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

^ I'm just impressed at the time it must have taken. Not to mention how many diamond picks you went through. Or did you use the old lava/water method?

Still no snow at my place. Interesting to see they've replaced the tiny 4 pixel flakes of the original snow with single pixels.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 11:45 PM   #680
XwarlokX
Lieutenant

Playing this game and realizing all the awesome stuff people do with it makes my structures look paltry in comparison. So far the coolest thing I've done in my new world is build a semi-log cabin on top of a plateau, incorporated a minecart track for quick travel back to my spawn base, and built an island fortress.

Nothing compares to the CPU, the obsidian tower, or any other countless cool things I've seen done with this game.

...Now I just want to see it rain in my world....
XwarlokX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 12:05 AM   #681
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Cutter John wrote: View Post
^ I'm just impressed at the time it must have taken. Not to mention how many diamond picks you went through.
Just one, as I rarely use it on anything but obsidian.
Or did you use the old lava/water method?
Yep. I poored water on a large lava lake that I had found down in my mine.
When that was mined out, I built one of those obsidian generators, that turn redstone into obsidian without wasting the lava source block in the process.
Old April 22 2011, 12:56 AM   #682
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

What the heck? I think I killed my dog. I eventually found one awhile ago, and I've just been working on a long ladder, and as I'm coming down for the day, I hear its cries. I couldn't see where it was, but I think I landed on it. Last thing I saw was a 'poof', like something being killed.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 03:08 AM   #683
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Epic house. But I'd watch out for those trees in the background if I were you, you never know when they might turn on you.

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Yep. I poored water on a large lava lake that I had found down in my mine.
When that was mined out, I built one of those obsidian generators, that turn redstone into obsidian without wasting the lava source block in the process.
I hadn't heard of this so I just looked it up. Man, that's one crazy glitch.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
What the heck? I think I killed my dog. I eventually found one awhile ago, and I've just been working on a long ladder, and as I'm coming down for the day, I hear its cries. I couldn't see where it was, but I think I landed on it. Last thing I saw was a 'poof', like something being killed.
Yeah, you have to be careful with those dogs, they're very stupid. I usually set mine to sit somewhere because she's always hurting herself or nudging me while I'm trying to work. These days I only bring her with me if I'm exploring a cave because helping protect me from monsters is all she's good for.

Ben - I think I managed to fix the bed problem. Just get rid of any nearby dirtblocks.
All my walls are lined with smooth stone, so that can't be it.

I read a suggestion that this could be an unintended consequence of the pathfinding fix for dogs that allows them to walk through doors, so now monsters can find a path to your bed too. It's plausible, but surely mobs can only find a path through a door when it's open.
Old April 23 2011, 04:41 AM   #684
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I read a suggestion that this could be an unintended consequence of the pathfinding fix for dogs that allows them to walk through doors, so now monsters can find a path to your bed too. It's plausible, but surely mobs can only find a path through a door when it's open.
A possibility. Though I wish they'd fix it. I'm getting damn sick of havign to redesign my rooms. I think I finally made my mineshaft room safe by moving the bed away from the wall and enlarging the space. I guess all I can do to make my treehouse safe is to enclose my lovely balcony in glass.

I have to confess I'm getting annoyed with this latest update. Mobs in my bedroom, custom textures are glitched, my dog is stuck, and I've yet to see any sign of this weather they made such a big deal about.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; April 23 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old April 23 2011, 06:02 AM   #685
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I've seen it rain twice so far.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 07:34 AM   #686
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I have rain pretty much every two or three days on my world, and there's a snow biome a few steps behind my house.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 02:37 PM   #687
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well my singleplayer home seems to be where several biomes intersect. Maybe thats screwing up the weather.

Last edited by Cutter John; April 23 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old April 23 2011, 03:14 PM   #688
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

A possibility. Though I wish they'd fix it. I'm getting damn sick of havign to redesign my rooms. I think I finally made my mineshaft room safe by moving the bed away from the wall and enlarging the space. I guess all I can do to make my treehouse safe is to enclose my lovely balcony in glass.

I have to confess I'm getting annoyed with this latest update. Mobs in my bedroom, custom textures are glitched, my dog is stuck, and I've yet to see any sign of this weather they made such a big deal about.
I've seen it rain several times on the server, even though our main area is right by a desert.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 05:02 PM   #689
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I've seen it rain/snow three times I think in about 7 hours of game time. It creates a really nice atmosphere. When you get home if it rains, you really feel nice to be in the dry.
Old April 23 2011, 10:38 PM   #690
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

I've seen it rain several times on the server, even though our main area is right by a desert.
I've seen rain twice on the server in a few hours of game time, yet I've never seen Cutter. Thus, I am forced to conclude that he does not exist.