Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 2 2011, 07:00 PM   #436
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Judge Alba wrote: View Post
i've a question regarding ore blocks. I havent found any yet well except coal anyway and i was wondering do i need to deep very deep down to find them?.
got an idea what they look like just havent seen any yet
Ore blocks all look the same, except that the 'spots' are different colors.

black spots = coal
tan spots = iron
yellow spots = gold
etc...

Coal and iron can be found pretty close to sea level. Coal can be found at any height I believe, but iron won't be high up in the mountains. The remaining ores are all very deep. Think Mines of Moria deep. Basically, carve yourself out a 5 by 5 or so shaft, and start heading down and down and down...
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2011, 07:33 PM   #437
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Just don't dig straight down. Knocking out the block you're standing on could mean a nasty fall into a dark cave full of monsters, or worse, a pool of lava. Also, make sure you lay down ladders and torches as you go so you can quickly get yourself out of the pit and have sufficient light so that mobs don't spawn in the shaft. A good defence against breaking through into an infested cave is to have a skylight at the top of the shaft along with glass floors. It offers great lighting during the day and has the added bonus of setting skeletons and zombies on fire.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2011, 11:07 PM   #438
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Alternatively, if you're looking for some adventure, you can explore caves and try to find one that goes deep enough. This method is horribly inefficient; in the time it took me to find 8 diamonds doing this, I found 40 by doing branch mining. Branch mining is also much safer as you place torches while creating tunnels, thus no monsters should spawn.

itisnotlogical wrote:
I haven't found any wolves yet and I've traveled a large distance from my house (about 300 blocks, guesstimating by how far away I placed waypoint torches). Do wolves even spawn on worlds that were generated in 1.3?
They should do as they're spawning on my world and I started that back in September. The only thing not available in my world is lapis lazuli ore, but that should be generated if I explore new regions.

I'm actually very lucky as wolves are constantly spawning outside my main base, so the game must have classed that region as a forest biome with the halloween update even though I had removed all trees from the area by then.
Old April 3 2011, 01:49 AM   #439
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Caves, which you might stumble upon in 2x1 straight-down shaft mining, are also a source of a very important resource if you plan on eventually going to the Nether: Lava source blocks, a resource which (when combined with Water) creates obsidian, which you can then use to make a Nether portal. And I'm still very mad that the Nether USB drive was only an April Fool's joke.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 02:36 AM   #440
judge alba
senior street judge

i found a cave that has a waterfall/stream and a lava fall if it dig a trench from the water to the lava that will give me obsidian?

oh i used my old house which was in a hill side until a creeper popped in to say hi now it's a openish mine.
even found six diamonds in there so far though that was a long way down

built a new home on a island might do a covered tunnel from there to my mine
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 02:40 AM   #441
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I think the formula for Obsidian is moving water has to pass over still lava. Otherwise it turns to cobblestone.

I seem to recall reading that iron only occurs 10 blocks below sea level or deeper. But yeah, mineshafting is the way to go.
Everyone has their own mining method. I usually build a 3 x 3 shaft with a one block notch in one side for ladders every other block (just step into the notch and slide slowly to the bottom. Then like Reverend said, glass roof, and torches on either side. For extra safety I build my shaft indoors with a matching skylight in the ceiling.
When you hit bedrock, (about 60 blocks down), dig down as far as you possibly can til you hit unbreakable bedrock. Then count up 10 blocks. Between levels 10 and 16 is where you'll also find diamond and redstone as well as iron and coal.

At the bottom, I'll open up a 10 x 10 x 3 room and set up a crafting table, crate, and furnace, then every third block, I'll start a two block horizontal tunnel around the circumfrence of the room, all radiating out like the spokes of a wheel. Just be very careful where you step, as theres also lava down there.

Had my first wolf encounter last night, but I'll save that story for a later post.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 02:40 AM   #442
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

When running water hits stationary (non-flowing) lava, it creates obsidian. If both the water and lava are flowing, you'll just get cobblestone.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 04:44 AM   #443
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I seem to recall reading that iron only occurs 10 blocks below sea level or deeper. But yeah, mineshafting is the way to go.
Iron ore can exist 5 blocks above sea-level, but it's rare. According to the wiki, here's the levels where all the various ores can be found.

Coal: All levels
Iron: Up to level 67 (5 blocks above sea-level)
Gold: Up to level 35
Lapis Lazuli: Up to level 32, most common at level 19
Redstone: Up to level 18
Diamond: Up to level 18
Lava pools: Up to level 10, can very rarely be found on the surface.

If you're looking specifically for diamond, mining between levels 10 and 18 is safest because you wont risk lava pouring in on you, all you have to worry about is accidentally mining into a cave filled with creepers.

Mining obsidian is painfully slow, it takes 15 seconds for each block. If you really want to enter the Nether and don't want to go through the process of mining for diamonds and then mining all that obsidian, you can make a portal-shaped cast with dirt, use a bucket to fill it with lava and then pour water on it until you have an obsidian portal.
Old April 3 2011, 05:29 AM   #444
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

^^

How many lava source blocks does it take for the mold method?
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Old April 3 2011, 08:57 AM   #445
Reverend
Rear Admiral

1 lave source block + water = 1 obsidian block. You need a minimum of 10 blocks to make a portal.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 06:23 PM   #446
judge alba
senior street judge

is it possible t drill into lava pool from above to send the lava to the service? like a volcanoe?

oh just found some vids on u-tube theres one on there about setting up a mine track that looks interesting.
going to try and take some screenshots of the devestation/er work i've cause in my area
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 06:36 PM   #447
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

^^

Use the F2 key, that might speed things up a little bit. The screenshot's saved in .minecraft in your computer's %appdata% directory.
Old April 3 2011, 08:39 PM   #448
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Everyone be very careful with your wolves. I managed to train one Friday morning night. Had fun running around, even though they're not very bright and ocassionally slip off a cliff or walk into cactus. Unfortunately we were late getting home one night and ran into a trio of skeletons just outside my house. in the ensuing melee while dodging arrows, I managed to kill my poor wolf with my diamond sword.
I know its silly, but I ended up feeling bad about it for most of the day. Its amazing how attached you get to them.

I think I'm going to wait til I go back to my flat map before I try training another.

is it possible t drill into lava pool from above to send the lava to the service? like a volcanoe?
Not really. But you can make a bucket, pick some up, carry it to the surface and pour it out on the edge of a cliff. Same effect. Just be careful. That stuff will burn any wood it touches. Trees and houses. And you.

oh just found some vids on u-tube theres one on there about setting up a mine track that looks interesting.
going to try and take some screenshots of the devestation/er work i've cause in my area

Make sure you have LOTS of iron before you start a rail line. You need six pieces to make twelve sections of track. And another five to make a minecart.
Looking forward to seeing some screenshots. You can also make your arm and the menu vanish by pressing F1.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 09:21 PM   #449
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Lava is like water in that there's source blocks that you can pick up with a bucket and transplant, and there's lava-flows that act like flowing water, except lava flows much more slowly and doesn't spread as far. Unlike water, you can't create an infinite pool of lava by making a 2x2 hole and placing lava source blocks in each corner, all lava obtained must come from source blocks that are usually found very deep underground.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I know its silly, but I ended up feeling bad about it for most of the day. Its amazing how attached you get to them.
That's why I don't like having dogs in video games, I've lost too many dogs in real life to want to lose another in a game. I wasn't going to bother with taming wolves in Minecraft for that reason, but when I found a wolf with two bones nearby I decided to experiment, expecting that she'd disappear if I walked far enough away. I didn't realise it was impossible for them to despawn. I'm thinking of telling her to sit in my castle most of the time just to keep her safe.
Old April 4 2011, 02:00 AM   #450
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

^^

When I was just starting a new map (I'd accidentally burned my house down, along with all my stuff) I tried to box in a wolf with a bunch of dirt so I'd be able to find him again when I was ready to tame him. Unfortunately, once I accidentally clicked the wrong button all the nearby wolves became hostile when I hit their buddy they're tough little suckers!