Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 11 2011, 04:02 PM   #316
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

I believe most of the things you mentioned are planned or have at least been mentioned as possible features.

* Linkable minecarts - Notch has mentioned wanting to do this.
* Fruit trees - Notch has also mentioned having more variety in the trees.
* Water mobs - We already have one, there will hopefully be more.
* Skinnable armor - Not sure if this is planned.
* A portable tent - Wouldn't that be a bed?
* Colored glass - Exists as a mod. If it doesn't make it into the final game I'm sure it would still be available as a mod.
* Domesticated animals - Notch has promised to add at least one pet.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2011, 05:31 PM   #317
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

^ Beds don't protect you from mobs, though. I'm assuming that's what Cutter is thinking of, anyway.
Old March 11 2011, 05:39 PM   #318
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Bed+walls will do the job. I think a portable tent would make things a bit too easy.
My blog
Old March 11 2011, 08:10 PM   #319
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Plus of course in order for a tent to be able to protect you from creepers, it'd have to be made out of brick or obsidian...and that would be just silly.

Speaking of of the annoying green buggers, since they seem to swarm around the entrance of one of my bases I've gone to the trouble of fortifying the entrance; a wall of obsidian sandwiched between two outer layers of brick. It also has an airlock like system with two metal doors with a button for each and a pressure plate between the two. That way when you open one and walk through the other one opens as you step through. I thought about going all out and placing sand or gravel above the glass so if the windows blow out the holes should slam shut.

As for things that would be nice to see added; fruit trees are definitely a good idea as orchards would become even more useful than wheat farms. Perhaps to keep things "realistic" (or just challenging) perhaps the fruit trees should need to be near water and have direct sunlight to bare fruit. Otherwise it'd just be a normal wood tree.

I think a few more environmental hazards might make things more interesting too. Bee hives for example would offer both a useful resource and a potential danger. Brambles or nettles might be a good idea (basically retextured flowers that cause small damage when you walk over it.)
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 02:24 AM   #320
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Reverend - Yeah I hate that. Thats why I put a back door on all my buildings. (though funny, I've not seen as many Creepers lately. I wonder if they're all spawning in an underground hole somewhere?)
If you have an excess of arrows, how about a security system?

A dispenser, a few bits of red dust and a button.

Well, I was just thinking a tent would be a nice portable alternative to carrying a bed and 30 blocks of dirt everywhere you go.

Water mobs - I was thinking stuff like fish and coral to go with the squid. It'd add some extra incentive to build underwater houses.
Colored glass - Or maybe I should have said 'colorable' glass. Another use for dyes.
Domesticated animals - A pet would be nice, but I'd love to be able to capture and breed pigs, cows, etc. I've heard there are mods of these, but I'd like to avoid these if I could. I'd hate having everything go poof everytime the game gets updated.

And speaking of animals and mods, anyone seem the Mo' Creatures mod?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohtxgH5yHk
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 05:00 AM   #321
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Finally got my castle footprint dug out. I don't even want to think about how long this took.

One level below the bottom of that is where you start to see bedrock and I wanted a nice, smooth bottom so I didn't bother digging any deeper.

Still deciding what I'm going to build in there, although the bottom area is going to have a glass pool built in it.
My blog
Old March 12 2011, 05:58 AM   #322
Canadave
Vice Admiral

^ How many picks did you go through during the course of digging that?
Old March 12 2011, 06:04 AM   #323
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I don't remember exactly how many but they would've numbered in the hundreds. I used stone pickaxes since those work out to be most efficient for this purpose. I would've easily run out of iron or even diamond despite their higher durability.

It's a 50x50 pit, so each level is 2500 blocks.
My blog
Old March 12 2011, 06:21 AM   #324
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Cool! It looks like one of those geographical cross-sections I used to see in science class.

Seems a shame to cover it all up. Why not build a ton of rooms and balconies lining the walls, and connect them all with stairs? Then personally I'd just put a big lava lake at the bottom and cover it with glass.

And sounds like you're like me when it comes to tools. Iron and diamond are just too precious to waste on picks, when stone is everywhere and only requires an extra whack or two.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old March 12 2011, 08:58 AM   #325
Canadave
Vice Admiral

^ I like using iron and diamond picks because of the speed advantage. I find mining and quarrying to be pretty tedious, so I'd rather get it done as quickly as possible so that I can get back to whatever else I was working on. Plus you have to replace stone picks way too often for my tastes.
Old March 12 2011, 03:50 PM   #326
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Yeah, but an iron pick only does about twice as many blocks as a stone one, and iron is far, far less common than stone. I simply would not have had enough iron to dig out that whole area. I had to dig out roughly 145,000 blocks. An iron pick can mine about 250 blocks, so that's 580 iron picks or 1740 iron bars (over 27 stacks.) Digging out that whole area netted me about half that much iron. I figure it would've taken me about as much time to find enough iron as it did for me to dig it out with stone.

And doing it with diamond would've required me to cheat.
My blog
Old March 12 2011, 10:55 PM   #327
Canadave
Vice Admiral

^ Point taken. I don't tend to dig unnecessarily massive pits a lot, though.
Old March 12 2011, 11:28 PM   #328
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

The fact that it's unnecessary is the whole point, though.
My blog
Old March 13 2011, 01:22 AM   #329
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I guess it all depends on how productive your mining locations are. If you're finding lots of iron, go ahead and make picks. My first one was pretty sparce, so even with an iron pick I couldn't replace the iron fast enough to justify it. And I needed the material for armor. Easier to just create an armload of cheap stone picks as needed. Doing a lot better on my second shaft. Rail lines nearly done, and I've got about 30 pieces of iron lying around.
Old March 15 2011, 05:10 AM   #330
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

So has anyone tried out the new seed system? I'm trying out one called 'gargamel'. It brings back a lot of the wild, rugged landscape that was toned down in the Beta. Since the forests are also really thick, I'm going to try building a house up in the trees this time. Will let everyone know how it goes.