Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 17 2011, 03:14 PM   #226
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

My girlfriend is talking about getting a Minecraft server, which I would administer. I don't really want to play online unless it's my server or being run by someone I know personally. Don't like the idea of investing a bunch of time on some random server that could go down at any moment, you know?

Oh, and I'm still working on my castle footprint in my SP World 4. Dug deep enough to find gold. Also hit a couple caves, which I sealed off and left small entrances for (so I can get to them later.) I think I'm about halfway (or more) to the bedrock.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 05:25 AM   #227
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Just saw this on Kotaku:

Sweet mother of Jebus!
Old February 18 2011, 05:42 AM   #228
XwarlokX
Lieutenant

TheGodBen: That definitely takes some talent, and a crap load of time to do. Congrats to em, but I don't think I'd ever pull off something like THAT!
XwarlokX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 11:02 AM   #229
froot
Fleet Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyxVmdaJ-w

You. Guys. Has this been linked yet? It blew my mind!!!
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 01:18 PM   #230
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Nice find there!
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 02:22 AM   #231
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Don't know if anyone else noticed but there was an update today. The McRegion mod was made part of the official code, which stores your save files in a compressed format and supposedly boosts performance. Seemed a little snappier when I was playing with it, at least. The "better lighting" mod was also made a built-in option. There were also some content items added--some redstone block types and beds.
My blog
Old February 23 2011, 03:23 AM   #232
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The better lighting is pretty awesome. Adds quite a bit of atmosphere due to shading.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 05:47 AM   #233
froot
Fleet Captain

I'm pretty happy with the beds, although my texture pack's gonna need an update now
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 03:09 PM   #234
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Beds, excellent! I was building a path across my island and I was sick of returning to base with nothing to do for 8 minutes, so I set the game to peaceful and worked through the night. I felt like I was cheating. But now when I extend the road north I'll be able to keep it on normal and just head home to sleep every night.
Old February 23 2011, 04:02 PM   #235
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Eventually, beds will set your spawn point. HALLELUJAH! That's the feature I've been waiting for. It would finally allow me to build a vast network of residences, not worrying about dying far from my spawn point and being unable to find my way back.

Some people bitch that it takes away from the survival aspects, but I disagree. Actually, if the beds did nothing but set your spawn point, I'd be satisfied with that.

Oh, and in case no one noticed yet: wood no longer burns forever under any circumstances, and sandstone is now naturally occurring in new worlds.

I'd still like some better navigation tools, or at least a way to show your current X,Y,Z without bringing up all the bullshit F3 displays. In the real world, you would have things to help you orient yourself and navigate, even in a "survival" situation. Minecraft is still lacking some useful tools in this area. The spawn compass is nice but a built-in minimap and putting your coords in the corner of the screen would be nicer.
My blog
Old February 23 2011, 10:19 PM   #236
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Sounds like a great idea. If beds become spawn points, this means that you could have a few beds scattered everywhere in specific locations, everyone having their own. That becomes useful for multiplayer where everyone has their own area, outside the initial starter spawn of course. There's a mod that allows to set your spawn point.
Old February 23 2011, 10:25 PM   #237
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I'm hesitant to use mods since the game is still in development. Once it reaches release or at least has a built-in mod capability, I will consider using more mods. Right now, I tend to limit myself to using texture packs and a handful of performance tweaks.
My blog
Old February 26 2011, 10:40 PM   #238
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well, right now our server is offline until the server tools can be updated to match the latest version.

I know there's a lot of interest in playing on a server here, so I'd like to extend the invitation to two people here for when the server comes back up. Those interested can PM me with their Minecraft username in order to add them to the whitelist. This is on a first come, first served basis, so when it's filled up, I'll let you all know. I might be able to open it up to more people later on.
Old February 26 2011, 11:34 PM   #239
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Good luck! I'd take you up on the offer but I'll be starting my own (private) server soon and odds are I won't play on two, so I don't want you to waste a slot on me. Be sure to post pics of anything cool that gets built on your server, though!
My blog
Old February 27 2011, 12:15 AM   #240
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Slimes are new for me having joined the game rather recently, so it was a bit disconcerting coming across a lava pit full to the brim with them, all making a horrendous cacophony of slapping noises.