RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 503
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 6 2011, 01:23 AM   #151
froot
Fleet Captain

Re: Minecraft

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Pixel art in Minecraft is kind of cool but I admit I prefer projects people did legitimately by mining all the materials themselves.
Jumping back in this thread after a hiatus.

I agree with this. Some of the pixel art is cool, but there's something to be said for people doing projects with limited resources as well as mobs and creepers actively trying to kill them.

Lovely new castle, TheGodBen.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 09:41 PM   #152
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

So, I'm getting the hang of this game! I love that it has simple game mechanics that make it easy for anyone to pick up and play.

I've been playing on a friend's server, and I just logged in to a view of creepers on fire. Oh, how I love seeing that

Here's a tour of the built up land.

This is where my friend started building. He has quite a nice oceanside view.

When I first started playing on the server, he had already built a dock, and then we decided to extend it and build a bridge/walkway to connect his area and mine, which I'll show you in a bit.

This is the spawn point, although it still spawns us underneath for some reason. There must be a way to set it so that we spawn on the platform.

Welcome to my area. I've built myself a home into the mountain on the right. And to the left is an extension of the bridge that goes right through the other side of the mountain. It doesn't really go anywhere at the moment, but as we expand, I could see this becoming a cart line or something.

Here's inside my home:

Btw, anyone finding the newest version of photobucket confusing to use? Seems so cumbersome.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 10:01 PM   #153
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

^ The new PB is terrible. Especially since you have to go back to the gallery to get the links for your newly uploaded photos... that's an unneccessary step I don't remember having in the past.

Looks like a nice little world you've got there. I have to admit I've yet to play MP myself. I wonder how hard it would be to set up a server for TBBS folks, actually?
Old January 7 2011, 10:24 PM   #154
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I was considering setting one up however I don't think I could afford to fund a decent one all by myself. If we pooled money, maybe.
Old January 8 2011, 12:00 AM   #155
Canadave
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I was considering setting one up however I don't think I could afford to fund a decent one all by myself. If we pooled money, maybe.
Yeah, that's the problem, of course. I don't really have any spare income myself, unfortunately.
Old January 8 2011, 01:04 AM   #156
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I might be interested depending upon cost and what sort of commitment would be involved. But I'm not in the most financially stable situation (or country!) right now which is why I still haven't renewed my premium membership for the board, so it can't be too much.
Old January 10 2011, 12:48 AM   #157
froot
Fleet Captain

My husband runs a small server, however, we usually only have about one to four people on at a time. I don't know if we could handle all the BBS folks. If it's only five or six, it might be okay.

Running a server with tiny handfuls of people doesn't really cost anything.

I love single player, but I agree that Minecraft really shines when played with other people.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 03:39 AM   #158
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

my, thats alot of torches, hopefully notch will change his mind about giving them a finite lifespan
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 04:11 AM   #159
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

He's said that any existing torches will be turned into lanterns if they ever go through with making torches have finite lifespans.
Old January 11 2011, 04:06 PM   #160
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

froot wrote: View Post
Running a server with tiny handfuls of people doesn't really cost anything.

I love single player, but I agree that Minecraft really shines when played with other people.
Theoretically, I could run my PC as a small server and it should have enough power and bandwidth to allow 4 or 5 people on at a time. In reality I couldn't do that as I'd have to leave it on all the time and my PC has an overheating problem.

In Minecraft news, Notch has included cake. There's also going to be an update on Thursday with some fun new content.
Old January 11 2011, 04:26 PM   #161
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Yeah, I'm excited about the content update. It's been a while since we had one.
Old January 11 2011, 06:53 PM   #162
Canadave
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
In Minecraft news, Notch has included cake.
Hopefully, a Weighted Companion Cube will be next.
Old January 11 2011, 07:03 PM   #163
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

The ca.......nah, too easy.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 08:15 PM   #164
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Does anyone know how to get cake? I mean, how to craft it?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2011, 10:42 PM   #165
Kimi3013
Captain

From the wiki:

On January 10th, 2011, Notch said in his 'World of Notch' blog that he has created the update of cake. In order to make cake, it requires three buckets of milk, three wheat items, and three sugar cane's (the new name for reeds).

The update will go into effect on Thursday, January 13th, 2011.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote