Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 16 2014, 12:48 PM   #1
Dude111
Happy Holidays Everyone

My favourite has gotta be Atari 2600 followed by Colecovision...

I love Early 80s games.... From arcade to those 2 consoles,nothing in my opinion was or IS better

Wasnt Atari 5200 supposed to be a competitor for Coleco?? -- IT SUCKED... COLECO is much better!!

Actually Atari 2600 is the BEST of all Atari versions!

I did a search for a thread like this but didnt find one so I started my own
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2014, 01:08 PM   #2
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile
Re: Whats your favourite console??

That's a tricky question as there are several layers to it.

If you're asking specifically what my personal favorite console is, I'd ask you if we're talking about my favorite software library in terms of quality, favorite software library in terms of quantity, my favorite hardware design in terms of tech (and/or product design), favorite set of exlusive titles, favorite controls, favorite overall experience, etc.

(Then there's the whole "best" console debate, which is similarly layered.)

If we're talking about my favorite software library, it'd be a close call between
  • Sony PSX (to be clear, the first PlayStation, not the PS2+DVR released in Japan)
  • Super Famicom/Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Xbox 360
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller

Last edited by RESPCT; December 16 2014 at 01:24 PM.
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Favorite Console Of All Time: Super Nintendo
Favorite Current Console: Playstation 2
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2014, 05:28 AM   #4
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

That's tough. Desert island console, it'd have to be PS2.

PSX/PS2 combined had such a great collection of games. After consoles removed their technological limitations but before they became so expensive to produce that nobody but the big guys could afford to produce decent games for them.

I'm of course taking advantage of the fact that PS2 was backwards compatible with PSX. PS2 was the sweet spot in gaming where developers could do whatever they wanted but development wasn't so obscenely expensive that they were forced to focus entirely on graphics and couldn't afford to take risks on innovative gameplay mechanics.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2014, 06:26 AM   #5
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I've a pretty big retro fan, so for me it comes down to the NES, SNES, or Genesis. All three systems are fantastic, but I'll have to give the edge to the NES. Having a complete monopoly on the console industry for an entire generation does lead to a lot of good games.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2014, 10:50 AM   #6
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

PC.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Reverend
Rear Admiral

That I've owned? It's a toss up between the Mega Drive II and the PS3. The Meg is mostly for my own nostalgia centring around Sonic, Mortal Kombat & Flashback. The PS3 for the functionality of being an allround multi-media platform. Indeed, I use it for DVDs, BluRays, MP4s & online streaming way more than as a gaming machine, so perhaps it shouldn't qualify in that regard.

I'm aware that the SNES probably has an overall better (read:more classic titles per capita) library games than it's contemporary Mega Drive, but Sega is what I grew up with, not Nintendo. Unless you count the Atari ST or Sinclair Spectrum 128k as gaming consoles...which for a lot of their user base the essentially were. In that case, I played the hell out of my brother's ST.

I've also a soft spot for the PS2 & Gamecube (Metal gear Solid/2/3/Twin Snakes, Beyond Good & Evil, Shadow of the Collosus, Ico, Zelda, Metroid Prime etc, etc.), but the last time I dusted mine off I noticed that the graphics don't hold up so well any more. Funny that the older 16-bit stuff has an almost timeless quality where the later 3D rendered games dated shockingly fast.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

I grew up playing the NES which had an amazing library of games, but my all time favorite would have to be the Super Nintendo, which had games I still play to this day (Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest). For some reason, with the PSX and Nintendo 64, I can't play those games today, no matter how enjoyable they were to me back in the day, due to how godawful the graphics and controls are. I don't have this problem with the NES or SNES because they excelled at side scrolling and the sprites still look good to me.

I'd also have to give an honorable mention to the PS3, which I had a damn good time with before it crapped out on me (Uncharted series, Grand Theft Auto IV, God of War III, Ghostbusters).

I still find it amazing that over the past seven years, I've owned two PS3s (both of which crapped out) and two XBox 360s (one crapped out). My NES is nearly 30 years old and still chugging along and my SNES is nearly 23 years old and still plays.
Old December 18 2014, 02:56 AM   #9
CorporalClegg
Admiral

1. PSX
2. SNES
3. PS2
Old December 18 2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Picking one best console is kind of ridiculous. But the answer is Sega Saturn.
Old December 18 2014, 11:03 PM   #11
Dude111
Happy Holidays Everyone

Well just try to pick the ONE CONSOLE thats meant more to you than any other...

In my case it would be 'Atari 2600' but I also like Coleco and my Commodore 64 for home consoles......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2014, 11:09 PM   #12
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
That's tough. Desert island console, it'd have to be PS2.
No no no. Desert Island console is PS3(60 or 20 GB) Thats every PS1 PS2 and PS3 game.

For me the best way to answer this question is which console was it that gave me the most fun, the best gaming memories. In some ways this is also a reflection of where you were in your life when you got the console. I have to say tops is Sega Saturn. I still think its a great console but I also got it at a time when I could just play a game for eight hours and really immerse myself in a way that I probably wont ever be able to again.
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2014, 11:48 PM   #13
Poinsettia
Commodore

SNES
NES
GBA

...Pink is my favorite crayon...
Poinsettia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2014, 11:50 PM   #14
Tea
Cadet

bountifulboxesjeg wrote: View Post
PC.
Unfortunately a PC isn't a gaming console. If it were then I would definitely have chosen this, as well.

That being said, however... I would have to say that my desert island console would have to be the PS3 as it has the capability to play all of the PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.
Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2014, 11:58 PM   #15
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Atari VCS