Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 29 2010, 02:04 AM   #91
pst
Lieutenant Commander

Re: "Blood & Chrome" to move forward

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I'll tell you one thing, I really hope Sci-Fi (I refuse to call it by its other name) gives Blood and Chrome a 13-episode season instead of a 20 episode one.

1) BSG was a better show when they only did 13 episodes a season. 20 episodes leads to useless filler and sloppiness in the storyline.

2) A 13 episode season would avoid the month-long layoffs between seasons. I think Caprica would have been cancelled even with a shorter season but the six-month layoff did absolutely nothing to help them. 13 episodes would allow them to run the season straight through.
i agree with you entirely. if they're going to air ten episodes, then put the show on hiatus and air another ten several months later, they should just shoot abbreviated seasons, or design the 20 episode seasons to be shot as one and aired as two.

i also hope eick and company (as well as the network) go all in on this one. they really kind of dipped their toes into the pool with caprica and i think it ultimately killed the show. hopefully they'll have enough confidence in blood & chrome to give it a real shot.

i also hope they don't call it battlestar galactica: blood & chrome and just keep it blood & chrome (we all know what it is, we don't need the header to remind us), but obviously, that's quibbling.

frankly though, despite the fact that this is the show that should've been the battlestar spin-off from day one, i have little interest in it. caprica was flawed but different, and blood & chrome just feels safe and pandering.
Old October 29 2010, 02:04 AM   #92
Aragorn
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
They have stasis technology? That seems a little more advanced than any of the medicine seen in the BSG universe thus far.
Well this is a BSG universe with space travel, virtual realities that look identical to reality and.... VHS.
Old October 29 2010, 02:44 AM   #93
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
Bring back the hottie from Razor for sure. *drool*
Stephanie Jacobsen is indeed quite beautiful, but Kendra Shaw would not have been alive during the First Cylon War.

pst wrote: View Post
i also hope they don't call it battlestar galactica: blood & chrome and just keep it blood & chrome (we all know what it is, we don't need the header to remind us), but obviously, that's quibbling.
Oh, I bet it'll be subtitled. Syfy will want draw back in the BSG audience that didn't stay through Caprica and grab attention from casual viewers who may not even know about Caprica's relation to BSG.
Old October 29 2010, 02:54 AM   #94
Dream
Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Stephanie Jacobsen is indeed quite beautiful, but Kendra Shaw would not have been alive during the First Cylon War.
I think CaptainFine meant the guy that played young Adama was hot. Look at the poster's Chris Pine is a hottie avatar.
Old October 29 2010, 02:56 AM   #95
pst
Lieutenant Commander

wait, i thought captain fine was referring to nico cortez. or maybe that blond chick who got roasted in the webisodes. i don't know, it's hard to tell. i'm confused.
Old October 29 2010, 03:15 AM   #96
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I think CaptainFine meant the guy that played young Adama was hot. Look at the poster's Chris Pine is a hottie avatar.
I suppose I should actually pay more attention to avatars.

My apologies, Captain Fine!

Anyways, I agree that it would be great if Nico Cortez returns. Since Eick's comments in the article said that it's basically Cortez's job to lose, I hope he's available when the producers start casting.
Old October 29 2010, 03:17 AM   #97
pst
Lieutenant Commander

Anyways, I agree that it would be great if Nico Cortez returns. Since Eick's comments in the article said that it's basically Cortez's job to lose, I hope he's available when the producers start casting.
here's a recent interview with him.

he says he's up for it.
Old October 29 2010, 03:51 AM   #98
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

here's a recent interview with him.

he says he's up for it.
Haven't watched Razor in a while but wow...he really does look like Jaime Bamber and EJO, especially Bamber.
Old October 29 2010, 04:06 AM   #99
The Wormhole
Admiral

I was just about to comment that he really looks like Jamie Bamber in the pictures in the above link.
Old October 29 2010, 05:45 AM   #100
pst
Lieutenant Commander

his acting was a little bad, i thought. he took great pains to mimic EJO's way of speaking and it was kind of painful to watch.
Old October 29 2010, 09:51 AM   #101
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, but this idea that there's a 'second' William Adama out there is ludicrous and, quite frankly, has absolutely no basis in anything. It's people talking out of their butts (I'd like to use a different word, but can't without getting censored).

Here's a timeline of Adama's life (by age) according to everything we currently know:
69 BCH (before Cylon Holocaust) - Born to Joseph and Shannon Adama
58 BCH - Is 11 when his mother and sister Tamara are killed
52 BCH - Is 17 (and still in school) when the first Cylon War starts
42 BCH - Is 27 when he graduates from the military academy
40 BCH - Is 29 during the events of Operation Raptor Talon
28 BCH - Is 41 when he meets Saul Tigh
27 BCH - Is 42 when he meets and marries Carolanne Adama
26 BCH - Is 43 when he and Carolanne have Lee
24 BCH - Is 45 when he and Carolanne have Zak
23 BCH - Is 46 when he is re-instated to the Colonial military
0 BCH - Is 69 when the Cylons attack the Colonies and start the Second Cylon War
4 ACH (after Cylon Holocaust) - Is 73 when Galactica, her fleet, and the Cylons find the second Earth

Applying 'real-world' standards to the BSG universe really isn't something that can - or should - be done, given that we're dealing with a universe where we have humans who possessed technology that is even more advanced than that which we - as a society - currently possess, whose ancestors lived with and communicated directly with Gods, and who colonized this planet in the far-distant past. We have absolutely no way of knowing what the average 'life expectancy' was for the Colonials, so we really have no right to say whether or not Adama is 'too old' at certain critical junctures in his life.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
Old October 29 2010, 09:39 PM   #102
Candlelight
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
26 BCH - Is 43 when he and Carolanne have Lee
I don't buy that; Lee seems a lot older, and besides Jamie Bamber was 31 during the Mini Series.
Old October 29 2010, 09:45 PM   #103
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Adama was 27 when he graduated from the academy? Bit old, don't you think?
Old October 29 2010, 09:46 PM   #104
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

his acting was a little bad, i thought. he took great pains to mimic EJO's way of speaking and it was kind of painful to watch.
Yeah, the guy tried way too hard. They'll hire someone else.
Old October 29 2010, 09:54 PM   #105
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Adama was 27 when he graduated from the academy? Bit old, don't you think?
If we're applying 'real world' standards to the BSG universe, yes, that seems a bit old. However, as I noted, applying real-world standards to BSG really isn't the most logical thing to do given the nature of said universe, and given that we don't know how long the average 'lilfe expectancy' for the Colonials is.

Candlefright, the timeline statistics I utilized come directly from the Battlestar Wiki, which is the foremost online authority on the franchise (in all its iterations), so I trust said statistics. Re: Jamie Bamber's age, it is really not uncommon for actors to play characters who are younger than they are. A good case in point would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Of that series' original cast, particularly the actors cast to play Buffy and her classmates, none of said actors were the age their characters were supposed to be when they were initially cast. SMG was 20; Nicholas Brendan was 26; Charisma Carpenter was 27; and Alyson Hannigan was 23.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."