Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 24 2010, 04:09 AM   #61
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: "Blood & Chrome" to move forward

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I agree, I wasn't too wild about the Razor flashbacks making that Adama's first mission. Nothing will have been lost if he were already serving for a couple of years prior. Hell, I suppose if you wanted to you could just say the Razor flashback was his first major battle, all his previous combat experience was one-on-one skirmishes against Cylon Raiders, or whatever the mission in Blood and Chrome is supposed to be.
Yeah, I thought Razor erred big time in saying it was Adama's first mission. They didn't have to say anything at all. But since they did, I saw screw it, ignore it or retcon it, because I would like to see him involved in a lot of combat on the new show.

I hope they bring back the guy from Razor though. He was awesome as Young Adama. I've been wanting to see the Cylon War since the beginning of the series and I'm amped again about BSG in a way I haven't been since the first half of Season 3. I tried getting into Caprica but it moves at such a glacial pace and I can't really get into any of the characters. It does have a strong cast and decent FX, but something about it just leaves me cold.

I'm definitely pumped at the idea of getting back to seeing some old school Cylons and raiders. Though I wouldn't mind if they showed us more models of Cylons. There's a lot of stuff they can play with showing a Cylon War.
Old October 24 2010, 07:38 AM   #62
billcosby
Commodore

Frak, yes.

Old October 24 2010, 11:48 AM   #63
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

DarKush wrote: View Post
I'm definitely pumped at the idea of getting back to seeing some old school Cylons and raiders. Though I wouldn't mind if they showed us more models of Cylons. There's a lot of stuff they can play with showing a Cylon War.
And just to reference another thread: You'd actually get talking Centurions.
Old October 24 2010, 03:30 PM   #64
Scotty
Rear Admiral

As a huge nuBSG fan, I must admit that I'm disappointed by Caprica. I want to like it very much, but it just doesn't grab me as Galactica did.

Now, this new spin-off sounds fantastic and I hope the storytelling will be more in same vein as nuBSG. But i'll wait 'till I see the results.

One thing I don't like the sound of at all is those digital sets. I didn't work for Sanctuary or Spartacus. I doubt it will work here.
Old October 24 2010, 03:56 PM   #65
Agent Richard07
Admiral

No retcons or the ignoring of previously established development please. It's bad storytelling and I don't want to see the BSG universe become as convoluted as the Highlander franchise. If something happened on-screen, it stays. Find some other way around it.

As for Caprica, I think it's a great idea for a prequel and it set up a very interesting origin story for the cylons. The problem is the execution. It needed to stay with Daniel, Zoe and the development of the cylons. Instead, it's gone off on too many tangents that are either coming together too slowly or not at all.

Scotty wrote: View Post
One thing I don't like the sound of at all is those digital sets. I didn't work for Sanctuary or Spartacus. I doubt it will work here.
The digital sets have me worried too and I've been calling this thing Battlestar Sanctuary.
Old October 24 2010, 04:45 PM   #66
bullethead
Fleet Captain

DarKush wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I agree, I wasn't too wild about the Razor flashbacks making that Adama's first mission. Nothing will have been lost if he were already serving for a couple of years prior. Hell, I suppose if you wanted to you could just say the Razor flashback was his first major battle, all his previous combat experience was one-on-one skirmishes against Cylon Raiders, or whatever the mission in Blood and Chrome is supposed to be.
Yeah, I thought Razor erred big time in saying it was Adama's first mission. They didn't have to say anything at all. But since they did, I saw screw it, ignore it or retcon it, because I would like to see him involved in a lot of combat on the new show.

I hope they bring back the guy from Razor though. He was awesome as Young Adama.
It's practically guaranteed that Nico Cortez will be returning unless there's a scheduling conflict or he doesn't want to do it.

GoldenPumpkin wrote: View Post
No retcons or the ignoring of previously established development please. It's bad storytelling and I don't want to see the BSG universe become as convoluted as the Highlander franchise. If something happened on-screen, it stays. Find some other way around it.
Well, Razor retconned all the Adama was a war hero stuff from the miniseries, so this would be a corrective retcon.
Old October 24 2010, 05:45 PM   #67
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

As for Caprica, I think it's a great idea for a prequel and it set up a very interesting origin story for the cylons. The problem is the execution. It needed to stay with Daniel, Zoe and the development of the cylons. Instead, it's gone off on too many tangents that are either coming together too slowly or not at all.

Scotty wrote: View Post
The digital sets have me worried too and I've been calling this thing Battlestar Sanctuary.
I think they can use CGI to draw up the large backgrounds...but they need to recreate so much for the actors to interact with physically. Caprica uses CGI often but its used to enhance existing sets (of course the fact that its filmed outside in Vancouver...helps....and I LOVE the Caprica cinematography)
Old October 24 2010, 06:19 PM   #68
David cgc
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
Well, Razor retconned all the Adama was a war hero stuff from the miniseries, so this would be a corrective retcon.
And I think all of the stuff establishing that it was Adama's first mission was in the portions of the flashback that were deleted and recycled as webisodes, so they shouldn't really count anyway. And double-checking the ol' BSWiki, the Adama Dossier says that he was assigned to Galactica three years before the end of the way, and got a gold star for shooting down a cylon raider on his first combat mission the next year, leaving two years of hard-core warring to depict on, say, a spin-off TV show.

I think it'd be really cool if they did an episode (probably the series finale, or one close to it) showing the story Adama told in the deleted flashback scene in season 2 someone mentioned upthread. The Cylons not only board a ship, but they totally kick everyone's ass. Clever writing could tie it directly into the Razor scene, as well.
Old October 24 2010, 06:50 PM   #69
arch101
Fleet Captain

So many posters on this board have been clamoring for a Cylon War series, to which I typically reply about that SciFi is NEVER going to produce a more expensive show than Caprica, which a war series would undoubtedly be.
Well, I guess I'm eating my shorts now. I just hope they stick to the implied aesthetic that Battlestars, Basestars, etc etc resemble the 1970s versions as seen in many museum scenes.
The casting of Galactica's commander will be interesting as I always assumed that Commander Adama drew inspiration from whomever he/she was.
Old October 24 2010, 08:57 PM   #70
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Because the father/son relationship between Joseph and William Adama is an important part of his character, and could easily be a prominent element of a series covering Bill's life as a young man. And why Sam? Because I like the actor, and the character, so why not? BSG indicated that Sam became a farmer (this may have been a lie).
None of that is essential to the saga of how the Cylons came to be, and developed the mentality that led to genocide. In that story, Bill Adama isn't vital either, so why do we need the rest of the family? It's just a thin excuse to toss around familiar names.

The only vital characters from what I can tell are Daniel and Zoe. Either they should be the leads and all the other characters' stories are tightly tied to theirs, or the story needs to be revised to allow Joseph to be a legitimately important character.

I love Esai Morales, but the character needs a better reason to be one of the three leads in the story. We're far enough along in the story that it should have emerged before now. This is just emblematic of Caprica's essential problem. Has anyone really sat down and thought through a) what this story is about and b) what elements, characters and plotlines are necessary to tell that story?

The lack of that is what's causing the story to ramble aimlessly all over the place, bore the audience and lose viewers. It's like the writers just chose a topic - "the Adama family and the development of Cylons" - and started coming up with stuff relevant to that topic. Not a good way to construct a gripping story that will grab hold of an audience and keep them.

As for the Cylon side of the story, whether Daniel or Zoe might be important depends on whether or not the Cylons are significantly developed characters, or just antagonists who are mostly off-screen.
The Cylons are by far the most interesting part of the story, so the story should be constructed around them. Or to put it another way: if this story isn't about the Cylons, then why bother with it? Colonial society is not fascinating in its own right. The gangsters and religious stuff is okay at best. If those elements had some stronger relationship to the Cylon story, it would be better. Ditto for the Adama family - on their own, they can't carry the story, and they don't yet play a vital role in the Cylon story, so why are they here?

The casting of Galactica's commander will be interesting as I always assumed that Commander Adama drew inspiration from whomever he/she was.
I wonder if Sigourney Weaver would do TV?

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; October 24 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old October 24 2010, 11:15 PM   #71
Harvey
Admiral

Frankenvorta wrote: View Post
None of that is essential to the saga of how the Cylons came to be, and developed the mentality that led to genocide. In that story, Bill Adama isn't vital either, so why do we need the rest of the family? It's just a thin excuse to toss around familiar names.
Oh, I see the point of confusion here. I was talking about this new series, BLOOD & CHROME, not CAPRICA. In a series that is centered around Bill Adama's war experiences, an occasional nod to his family history wouldn't be out of place.

I don't disagree with your comments about CAPRICA. It's telling that the best scenes of the series (Daniel introduces the Cylon to his board, Daniel tries to get Zoe to communicate to him from the Cylon) don't involve the Adamas at all. I still like Sam Adama, though, but he hasn't had a whole lot to do for a while.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 25 2010, 12:58 AM   #72
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Pardon me while I masturbate to the reality that within the next 2 years, I shall once again be able to watch the Battlestar Galactica soar across my TV screen with William Adama aboard her.

*Weeps with utter uncontrollable joy*

Old October 25 2010, 07:57 PM   #73
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/...ftware-genius/

New B&C news of sorts.
Old October 25 2010, 08:04 PM   #74
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Frankenvorta wrote: View Post
Oh, I see the point of confusion here. I was talking about this new series, BLOOD & CHROME, not CAPRICA. In a series that is centered around Bill Adama's war experiences, an occasional nod to his family history wouldn't be out of place.
In that case, yeah. A war hero with a gangster lawyer father is an interesting situation.
Old October 26 2010, 01:43 AM   #75
billcosby
Commodore

Good name.