Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 23 2010, 04:25 PM   #46
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: "Blood & Chrome" to move forward

But, at what point do they go a prequel too far?
Anything beyond the First Cylon War, I'd say.
Old October 23 2010, 05:07 PM   #47
The Wormhole
Admiral

Beyond the Cylon War? But think of the rich storytelling possibilities:

-Adama and Tigh's life on a freighter.
-Tigh's despressed life in the Caprican slums sleeping with a different hooker each night.
-Tom Zarek's revolution.
-University drama between Lee and Zak Adama and Kara Thrace.

Yes, I am being sarcastic.

Last edited by The Wormhole; October 23 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old October 23 2010, 05:25 PM   #48
Iconian
Lieutenant

I think this is the spin-off we've been waiting for. I'm crossing my fingers here.
Old October 23 2010, 05:47 PM   #49
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

-University drama between Lee and Zak Adama and Kara Thrace.
Next Summer, the CW is heating up with the story of three young lovers seeking wings to fly with...

Vipers.
Old October 23 2010, 06:18 PM   #50
Aragorn
Admiral

So will the commercial for Blood and Chrome end with a shot of Dirk Benedict this time?
Old October 23 2010, 06:32 PM   #51
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I wanted to expand on my earlier comments re: Adama. Both "Hero" and "Razor" establish that he only saw his first taste of actual combat action - as a Viper pilot - in the final battle of the war; Blood and Chrome is supposed to be set during the 10th year of the war (2 years before the flashbacks in "Razor"), and since Adama is supposed to be a main character in B&C, it appears, on the surface, as if the PTBs are going to have to do a lot of rewriting/retconning unless they don't plan on having Adama do a heck of a lot of fighting against actual Cylon Centurions without completely invalidating most of the Razor flashbacks. They might have some 'wiggle room' with regards to the Razor flashbacks and Adama's involvement in B&C if they make it clelar that none of his actions during the time period that B&C encompasses are actually recorded in his service record, but, otherwise, they really risk invalidating most of what they said about Adama's war service record in "Razor" and "Hero".
Old October 23 2010, 06:38 PM   #52
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

I'm totally excited about this news...however, I'd still be curious about a Kobol War series. Who were the Gods that lived among men?
Old October 23 2010, 08:50 PM   #53
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
vampgrrl wrote: View Post

I predict they keep Caprica one more season....RDM already said he has a roadmap for Caprica that ramps up quickly into the Cylon War (he said this recently and it is likely he had this in mind)
Yes the viewers for Caprica might be very low but Syfy is going to have to look at a) what a new series will cost to put in production, b) when can they get it to production and c) will it rate any better?

After all how much money do they burn on those abyssmal movies they keep turning out?
I don't have the inside scoop on their balance sheets, but I have the sickening feeling that they've been doing very well with cheap, dumbass Saturaday night monster shows; treacly scifi-lite series represented by Eureka/Warehouse 13/Haven (all of which I find unwatchable); stupid ghost-hunting "reality" shows; and wrestling.

All those are cheap to make, have a built-in audience, or both. Which makes me wonder why they'd bother adding shows to the mix that are challenging, take risks and stand a serious chance of failure? Why not just stick to the stupid, easy money instead?

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
Takeru wrote: View Post
Frankenvorta wrote: View Post
I'd love to see Saul Tigh as a young toaster. Who should play the role?
No one, because there's no young Saul Tigh, the Final Five arrived at the end of the first Cylon War and the Tighs weren't younger then than they were in BSG. After Cavil killed them, Tigh was boxed for 20 years and when he reappeared in the colonies, he already looked like a slightly younger Michael Hogan with more hair. Tighs memories of fighting in the war were faked.
He might have taken the identity of a real person who was killed during the cylon war.
I wanna see a young Saul Tigh. They can devise some excuse. This is sci fi, gods dammit! The Cylon backstory so strained and convoluted and more convolutions will do no particular harm. (And a young Tigh might explain the absurdity that he could have a long military career as an old fart who never ages - maybe that was a different guy whose identity he somehow appropriated, or he devised a way of inhabiting a cloned body that did age, or whatever the frak they want to come up with.)

...but I also kinda like the above suggestion about Tom Zarek's revolutionary days.

I wanted to expand on my earlier comments re: Adama. Both "Hero" and "Razor" establish that he only saw his first taste of actual combat action - as a Viper pilot - in the final battle of the war; Blood and Chrome is supposed to be set during the 10th year of the war (2 years before the flashbacks in "Razor"), and since Adama is supposed to be a main character in B&C, it appears, on the surface, as if the PTBs are going to have to do a lot of rewriting/retconning unless they don't plan on having Adama do a heck of a lot of fighting against actual Cylon Centurions without completely invalidating most of the Razor flashbacks.
Solution: they should completely invalidate the Razon flashbacks, then. I'm not sold on that version of the story, so why allow that to be an impediment?
Old October 23 2010, 09:19 PM   #54
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I'm fine with them invalidating the Razor Flashbacks. I know the series bible said that Adama saw action in the final year of the war but I refuse to believe his war action was just one lone battle at the very end.

In the Razor movie, they don't even show the initial two or three webisodes establishing this as his first real action. I know during the deleted Adama/Tigh flashback scenes in Season 2, Adama tells him about battle that got 2,000 members of the Galactica crew killed.

I do wonder if there's a big enough audience left for this though. After the Season 2 premeire, the BSG ratings dropped dramatically and never rose beyond those numbers. Except maybe the season finale.
Old October 23 2010, 11:52 PM   #55
The Wormhole
Admiral

I agree, I wasn't too wild about the Razor flashbacks making that Adama's first mission. Nothing will have been lost if he were already serving for a couple of years prior. Hell, I suppose if you wanted to you could just say the Razor flashback was his first major battle, all his previous combat experience was one-on-one skirmishes against Cylon Raiders, or whatever the mission in Blood and Chrome is supposed to be.
Old October 24 2010, 12:42 AM   #56
Harvey
Admiral

This certainly sounds more accessible than CAPRICA, as much as I've enjoyed that series (more or less). I like the idea of folding the best parts of CAPRICA into this new spin-off, and hope the writers can do that, if those elements fit into this story. Sam and Joseph Adama, in particular, could fit in as recurring characters on a Bill Adama-centered series. Just age the actors with make-up and you're good to go.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 24 2010, 03:28 AM   #57
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I can't figure out why Sam and Joseph Adama are even in Caprica! Why would they need to be in B&C?

Daniel and Zoe are the obvious ones to bring over, since they have the strongest connection to the Cylon story.
Old October 24 2010, 03:37 AM   #58
Harvey
Admiral

Because the father/son relationship between Joseph and William Adama is an important part of his character, and could easily be a prominent element of a series covering Bill's life as a young man. And why Sam? Because I like the actor, and the character, so why not? BSG indicated that Sam became a farmer (this may have been a lie).

As for the Cylon side of the story, whether Daniel or Zoe might be important depends on whether or not the Cylons are significantly developed characters, or just antagonists who are mostly off-screen.

Old October 24 2010, 03:43 AM   #59
The Wormhole
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
BSG indicated that Sam became a farmer (this may have been a lie).
Is that the uncle Bill referanced when he told that story about the three foxes? Could it be possible that he was an uncle on his mother's side? I'm not following Caprica, so forgive me if it's been established Bill Adama's mother was an only child.

As for the Cylon side of the story, whether Daniel or Zoe might be important depends on whether or not the Cylons are significantly developed characters, or just antagonists who are mostly off-screen.
I like the theory that Daniel becomes the Hybrid in Razor.
Old October 24 2010, 03:51 AM   #60
Harvey
Admiral

Since Joseph Adama's mother-in-law still lives with him and his son, I assume there aren't any other outstanding relatives. That they didn't pop up (nor were they mentioned) at the funeral for Tamara and Shannon also implies that what we've seen on screen is it when it comes to the Adama family.

Of course, Bill Adama's uncle could also refer to Sam's husband, Larry, who we haven't learned much about since his first appearance.