Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 23 2010, 03:21 AM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Blood & Chrome" to move forward

I'm wracking my brain for the actor who could play a young Saul Tigh. Ron Livingston is reasonably close in terms of looks and attitude. Desmond Harrington (Quinn on Dexter) is very close in looks and certainly can pull off both the hard-ass and smart-ass aspects of the character. And I have this funny feeling his days on that show might be numbered, since he's making the fatal mistake so many characters before him have...
Old October 23 2010, 03:36 AM   #32
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Frankenvorta wrote: View Post
Stern said actor Nico Cortez was "great" as young Adama in the 'BSG' movie 'Razor,' but it is not certain that he will take the lead in 'Blood & Chrome.'
I wouldn't get too worried about this. They can't say they're sold on him in the role without screwing their bargaining position. He'll have the role if they can work it out, and why wouldn't they? He isn't a big name but this could be a high profile role for him.
And they more or less said as much in the article. Its Nico's job to lose.

As for same, it could be tricky. When dealing with two time periods of the same story, you have to be careful. Joe Adama, we know his destiny so an aged Esi Morales could guest star without giving too much away.

Last edited by BenRoethig; October 23 2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old October 23 2010, 04:09 AM   #33
bullethead
Fleet Captain

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I like the idea in concept, but wish they'd find characters other than William Adama to use because using him means that they're going to have to drastically rewrite/retcon the established BSG timeline, thus invalidating a good chunk of one of my favorite parts of the BSG story, "Razor".
The only thing this show would invalidate is Adama's war record from Hero, which shows he only made one kill in the entire First Cylon War (or something to that effect), which flies in the face of all the stuff in the miniseries about him being in the war. Besides, the flashbacks in Razor are at the end of the war, so it's not like the series has any real chance of negating those events.
Old October 23 2010, 04:10 AM   #34
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

vampgrrl wrote: View Post

I predict they keep Caprica one more season....RDM already said he has a roadmap for Caprica that ramps up quickly into the Cylon War (he said this recently and it is likely he had this in mind)
Yes the viewers for Caprica might be very low but Syfy is going to have to look at a) what a new series will cost to put in production, b) when can they get it to production and c) will it rate any better?

After all how much money do they burn on those abyssmal movies they keep turning out?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old October 23 2010, 04:11 AM   #35
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
After all how much money do they burn on those abyssmal movies they keep turning out?
Not much. With those "Syfy Original Movies," they're basically just buying the tv rights to "movies" produced by other companies. They don't have to worry about production costs with those at all.
Old October 23 2010, 04:34 AM   #36
Jax
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
We should have gotten this in the first place instead of Caprica.
Agreed it was too much of a jump in theme to go with a slow drawn out show like Caprica after BSG. If anything do this first then Caprica should of come 3rd or you could of merged the creation of the Cylon in flashbacks in a show like Blood & Chrome, which is a bad title for a show IMO.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old October 23 2010, 04:38 AM   #37
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
The problem with CRAPICA
I see what you did there.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 23 2010, 06:53 AM   #38
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

You know what, I would rather see a well-produced Husker miniseries than a full-blown attempt at an ongoing TV series. With all the cancellation fears nowadays, a solid 3-4 hour story would be fantastic.
Old October 23 2010, 08:39 AM   #39
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Sounds awesome. They probably should've done this instead of Caprica or at least have done it before doing Caprica. I think this pretty much toasts Caprica despite what Stern says.
Old October 23 2010, 10:17 AM   #40
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I'd love to see Saul Tigh as a young toaster. Who should play the role?
No one, because there's no young Saul Tigh, the Final Five arrived at the end of the first Cylon War and the Tighs weren't younger then than they were in BSG. After Cavil killed them, Tigh was boxed for 20 years and when he reappeared in the colonies, he already looked like a slightly younger Michael Hogan with more hair. Tighs memories of fighting in the war were faked.

But I would love to see Final Five actually appearing and ending the war in the pilot with most of the movie (or mini-series?) being a flashback. I'm not sure it should be a regular series, there's always the chance it's getting cancelled without completing the story. A six or eight hours mini-series is more than enough to tell a great story, wrap up Caprica if necessary and tie it into BSG by showing the Final Five.
Old October 23 2010, 12:33 PM   #41
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Marc wrote: View Post
[

Yes the viewers for Caprica might be very low but Syfy is going to have to look at a) what a new series will cost to put in production, b) when can they get it to production and c) will it rate any better?

Blood and Chrome is already going to be saving some coin with those digital sets. I just hope they look nice. Its ratings should be at least slightly higher, but slightly isn't what the network is looking for. Just putting Battlestar Galactica before the 'subtitle' of Blood and Chrome should help, though. It might pull some people in again who feel like Caprica is too different an animal.

And yeah, already been said, but they don't burn much money on those movies.
Old October 23 2010, 12:45 PM   #42
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Caprica was always going to be a risk, given how different its premise and stated objectives were. Even so, its problem has always been execution. To be fair, the world-building of the series has been excellent. But from the timing of the Pilot DVD to the actual premiere, to the split-season, to the writing and the detestable characters, the series hasn't exactly inspired its audience. The B&C series is a much safer bet, being closer what the BSG audience is familiar with. Hopefully it'll be better executed than Caprica.
Old October 23 2010, 12:52 PM   #43
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I don't mind that Caprica tries to be different. However, I do mind the annoyingly incoherent story arcs and characters. Sure, that's something BSG suffered from as well sometimes... just not to that extent (in part, I'm attributing it to the fact that Caprica switched its showrunner two or three times during its first eleven episodes). In addition, BSG had the spaceflight element which made up for some of those weaknesses.
Old October 23 2010, 02:49 PM   #44
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Takeru wrote: View Post
I'd love to see Saul Tigh as a young toaster. Who should play the role?
No one, because there's no young Saul Tigh, the Final Five arrived at the end of the first Cylon War and the Tighs weren't younger then than they were in BSG. After Cavil killed them, Tigh was boxed for 20 years and when he reappeared in the colonies, he already looked like a slightly younger Michael Hogan with more hair. Tighs memories of fighting in the war were faked.
He might have taken the identity of a real person who was killed during the cylon war.
Old October 23 2010, 04:20 PM   #45
The Wormhole
Admiral

This sounds cool, and I'll definately be checking it out. But, at what point do they go a prequel too far? Don't mind me, I'm just unnecessarily cynical. Still, something sci-fi to watch that's spaceships and robots fighting? I'm there.