RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 499
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old December 8 2010, 12:08 PM   #166
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Re: "Blood & Chrome" to move forward

I honestly don't get the obsession that some fans have over Nico Cortez. I mean the guy was in Razor for a couple minutes or so a few years back.

In all likelihood, he won't get the job. You can already avoid future disappointment by not getting your hopes so high.
Old December 8 2010, 01:16 PM   #167
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

pst wrote: View Post
Marc wrote: View Post

And what was Kate Mulgrew known for before getting cast as Katherine Janeway?

Mrs Columbo

And she got the job after the big name experienced actress (Genevieve Bujold) bailed a day in filming.
she was on a pretty successful soap opera called ryan's hope.
Comparing Mulgrew to Nico Cortez is a bit far-fetched IMO.

Prior to portraying Capt. Janeway, Kate Mulgrew had regular roles on four TV shows: Mrs. Columbo, Ryan's Hope, Heartbeat, Man of the People. Two of them were lead roles. In addition, she had recurring appearances on Murder, She Wrote, Cheers, and St. Elsewhere.

Back in 2000, Nico Cortez had a recurring role (3 episodes) on a show called Manhattan, AZ.

And then there's of course the age issue nobody has really adressed so far. Given the length of his career, Nico Cortez would at least be in his early 30s (perhaps even in his mid-30s) at the time Blood & Chrome enters production as a weekly show. And he's supposed to play "Ensign William Adama, barely in his 20’s and a recent Academy graduate"?

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; December 8 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old December 8 2010, 06:06 PM   #168
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Brooke Elliott, the star of Drop Dead Diva only has two other credits to her name and both are bit parts.
Old December 8 2010, 06:30 PM   #169
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
pst wrote: View Post
Marc wrote: View Post

And what was Kate Mulgrew known for before getting cast as Katherine Janeway?

Mrs Columbo

And she got the job after the big name experienced actress (Genevieve Bujold) bailed a day in filming.
she was on a pretty successful soap opera called ryan's hope.
Comparing Mulgrew to Nico Cortez is a bit far-fetched IMO.

Prior to portraying Capt. Janeway, Kate Mulgrew had regular roles on four TV shows: Mrs. Columbo, Ryan's Hope, Heartbeat, Man of the People. Two of them were lead roles. In addition, she had recurring appearances on Murder, She Wrote, Cheers, and St. Elsewhere.

Back in 2000, Nico Cortez had a recurring role (3 episodes) on a show called Manhattan, AZ.

And then there's of course the age issue nobody has really adressed so far. Given the length of his career, Nico Cortez would at least be in his early 30s (perhaps even in his mid-30s) at the time Blood & Chrome enters production as a weekly show. And he's supposed to play "Ensign William Adama, barely in his 20’s and a recent Academy graduate"?
You think that's really a problem? I'd look at case of the the original Beverly Hills 90210, the cast of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and then onto say Smallville to give 3 examples where the cast were much older than their characters.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old December 8 2010, 07:14 PM   #170
The Wormhole
Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Then it's settled, Bill Adama spent ten years on a spaceship travelling at relativistic speed.
If you've seen the end of "Caprica" we now have an answer to this "dilemma"
1) I don't watch Caprica, so I shouldn't be expected to know.
2) That post was written nearly a month before the Caprica finale aired so there would have been no way for me to possibly know.
3) It was a joke.
Old December 8 2010, 08:19 PM   #171
HarryM
Fleet Captain

For me it boils down to simple believability that the character is, in fact, Adama. For me, Nico nailed it. That was a major flaw (among many) of Star Trek Nemesis. I just didn't find Tom Hardy believable as a young Picard. It just didn't work, and it's a fatal flaw. So having experience and looking vaguely like a young EJO isn't the only thing to consider.

I've seen the space battle part of Razor flashback a zillion times. Have to watch the earlier parts where he is doing more acting as opposed to just being a bad-ass in the cockpit.
Old December 8 2010, 11:02 PM   #172
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

The problem with Hardy's young Picard was the shoulder pads. Picard's DNA is fundamentally opposed to decorative shoulder pads.
Old December 8 2010, 11:30 PM   #173
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Yes, that squeaky fetish gear was a bit distracting.
Old December 9 2010, 04:00 AM   #174
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

For me it boils down to simple believability that the character is, in fact, Adama. For me, Nico nailed it. That was a major flaw (among many) of Star Trek Nemesis. I just didn't find Tom Hardy believable as a young Picard.
Ditto for me. For every Zachary Quinto who is perfectly cast, there's a Hayden Christensen, who screws it all up. Can anyone think of a good Hispanic actor in his 20s who can portray Adama as effectively? There are probably hundreds who are capable and would love to get a gig that isn't the usual stereotypical crap, but almost all of the candidates are going to be unknowns eager for their first big break.
Old December 9 2010, 11:21 PM   #175
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Agreed. The reason we keep going on and on about Nico is that in his few minutes onscreen he frakking nailed the character.
Sure we'll all go on with our lives if he doesn't get the part, but it seems such a small thing they could do to make this project even better.
Old December 10 2010, 12:32 AM   #176
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ Provided that he has the acting chops to carry a series week in and week out, of course.
Old December 10 2010, 01:24 AM   #177
Candlelight
Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
^ Provided that he has the acting chops to carry a series week in and week out, of course.
I can see him becoming the Horatio Caine of BSG.

"This frakker's mine..."

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old December 10 2010, 02:14 AM   #178
Darth_Daver
Captain

Carols by Candlelight wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
I can see him becoming the Horatio Caine of BSG.

"This frakker's mine..."

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Now I think there lies the way to make BSG mainstream again
Old December 10 2010, 02:34 AM   #179
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Sci-Fi Channel Launches Battlestar Galactica: Miami
Old February 12 2011, 06:37 AM   #180
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Production on the two-hour pilot has started!