Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old December 6 2010, 09:54 PM   #151
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: "Blood & Chrome" to move forward

The Bumble wrote: View Post
i am quite happy about the premise of this project but a bit disappointed that its going to start 10 years into the war, personally I would have liked to see them start it a few months before the first cylon war and show you the events leading up to it, though I am sure they will be backstory flashbacks...maybe? please?
That's what Caprica was for. The coda at the end of Apotheosis, amongst other bits, showed us what lead up to the events in the war. You may get a couple of titbits regarding what triggers the war but it's not necessary at this stage.

HOWEVER... I would have preferred the series to have started a little bit sooner. According to the facts, the war last 12 years. If the show begins 10 years into it...
Old December 6 2010, 10:01 PM   #152
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Frontier wrote: View Post
I'm still waiting to hear that Nico Cortez (?) has been officially cast as the lead.
That's not going to happen.
Old December 6 2010, 11:57 PM   #153
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'm still waiting to hear that Nico Cortez (?) has been officially cast as the lead.
Amen.

So far, Nico Cortez' entire career consisted of very small roles. If you look at his IMDb profile he often played minor one-shot characters who didn't even have a name ("Jo's Dad", "Ark Officer", "SWAT Team Leader", "Witch Doctor"). In fact, his few minutes as Young William Adama in 2007 were probably his most successful acting job so far.

It would be a huge gamble (and most likely also a huge mistake) to suddenly put him in the lead role on a TV show... a chance Syfy almost certainly won't be willing to take. Maybe someone could try to give him a supporting role somewhere, but Bill Adama surely won't be a supporting role.
Old December 7 2010, 02:09 AM   #154
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

So what? Lucas cast unknowns in Star Wars.

Cortez either has it or not...I hope they cast him. Its BSG but its nothing on the scale of Star Wars...and its a role for a relatively young actor. Short of getting EJO in the 1960s-1970s via time machine, I like Nico
Old December 7 2010, 09:12 AM   #155
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

vampgrrl wrote: View Post

Cortez either has it or not...I hope they cast him. Its BSG but its nothing on the scale of Star Wars...and its a role for a relatively young actor. Short of getting EJO in the 1960s-1970s via time machine, I like Nico
The issue is not so much whether Nico Cortez is unknown or not, although it certainly plays a role. The issue is whether Nico Cortez is capable of filling a lead role and carrying a show, something he hasn't even remotely done before. There has to be reason why he has been a TV actor for 13 years now and has never gotten any larger role (another issue is if he's getting too old for Bill Adama).

In any case, there's a dfference between playing William Adama for ten minutes and playing him for 90 minutes or even 10 hours. His potential shortcomings could surface rather quickly if he has to act in a broader range of scenes.
Old December 8 2010, 01:33 AM   #156
Harvey
Admiral

I don't see why not. Eick hasn't dismissed the idea in public, and an unknown would certainly help SyFy bring the show in on budget.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old December 8 2010, 03:37 AM   #157
Blankenship
Cadet

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
vampgrrl wrote: View Post

The issue is not so much whether Nico Cortez is unknown or not, although it certainly plays a role. The issue is whether Nico Cortez is capable of filling a lead role and carrying a show, something he hasn't even remotely done before. There has to be reason why he has been a TV actor for 13 years now and has never gotten any larger role (another issue is if he's getting too old for Bill Adama).

In any case, there's a dfference between playing William Adama for ten minutes and playing him for 90 minutes or even 10 hours. His potential shortcomings could surface rather quickly if he has to act in a broader range of scenes.

Oh, how naive tis thee. There are so many reasons that an actor can toil away for a decade with his or her career not taking off. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get decent representation in Hollywood? Very difficult is an UNDERSTATEMENT. TV shows and movies put out roles and a massive amount of submissions come in from every agency, big or small, on those few roles. Do you understand how competitive it can be? Many casting people will not even see you if you are not with at least a mid level agency. Now imagine if you have NO representation. You can't even be one of the million submitted because there is no one to even put you up for a two liner on Fringe. There are so many talented actors capable of doing it week in and week out who you've never heard of because they can't get decent or ANY representation. In my opinion, if you call RAZOR Cortez's biggest role to date, it only proved yet again how many highly talented unknown actors are out there waiting to be discovered. Unless you've been in Hollywood and gone through the war, you have no idea what you are talking about. If the producers didn't think he could handle it, he wouldn't even be up for consideration. Which he is. Why do you think people train for years to become actors? Do you think after studying for years you won't be able to handle being a regular on a show or a member of a theatre company? He did a podcast with airlock alpha. Listen to it. Listen to what he did for RAZOR and maybe you'll get an idea of what he thinks he can handle. You just offended every actor in Hollywood sacrificing themselves for a shot like this one. Go, Nico!
Old December 8 2010, 03:48 AM   #158
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

And you missed the point that experience matters. It's a shame if you can't get the experience because of competition, but it matters no less because of that.
Old December 8 2010, 03:58 AM   #159
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Harvey wrote: View Post
I don't see why not. Eick hasn't dismissed the idea in public, and an unknown would certainly help SyFy bring the show in on budget.
He has little to no experience and, well, wasn't that good of an actor in Razor.
Old December 8 2010, 04:17 AM   #160
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

He has little to no experience and, well, wasn't that good of an actor in Razor.
And what was Kate Mulgrew known for before getting cast as Katherine Janeway?

Mrs Columbo

And she got the job after the big name experienced actress (Genevieve Bujold) bailed a day in filming.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old December 8 2010, 04:26 AM   #161
pst
Lieutenant Commander

Marc wrote: View Post

Mrs Columbo

And she got the job after the big name experienced actress (Genevieve Bujold) bailed a day in filming.
she was on a pretty successful soap opera called ryan's hope.
Old December 8 2010, 05:13 AM   #162
Blankenship
Cadet

"Has little to no experience and well wasn't that good in Razor".

Well, some guy named Edward James Olmos disagrees with you.

Q: Who would you like to play Adama as a young man?

Edward James Olmos: I think he’s already been cast. The guy who played me in the series. He was great. He should just continue. Hopefully they’ll put him in there but I don't know, maybe they’ll try to find somebody with a name but I don't know if there’s anybody. There’s a kid that played me in Battlestar. Do you remember the episode where I go back in time and you see me fighting, when I find out about the robots? When I find out about the hybrids and how they build human beings and how they have them hanging there, crazy.

Full article: http://www.craveonline.com/entertain...lmos-on-112119
Old December 8 2010, 05:20 AM   #163
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Marc wrote: View Post

Mrs Columbo

Right. Actors aren't born known. They become known when they find a part that fits them.
Old December 8 2010, 05:20 AM   #164
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Yeah he was fine. I can't see anyone else pulling off Bill Adama like Nico.

You could cast someone else who might make the role their "own" but it would take me out of the show. I can believe that Nico grows up to be Bill Adama.
Old December 8 2010, 07:01 AM   #165
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Then it's settled, Bill Adama spent ten years on a spaceship travelling at relativistic speed.
If you've seen the end of "Caprica" we now have an answer to this "dilemma"