Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 19 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Spock's full name

Googling for Spock's full name, I came across the Memory Beta-Wiki which lists his name as "S'chn T'gai Spock".

It goes on to say, "As is the case with most Vulcans, only his last name was used due to the difficulty non-Vulcans would have in pronouncing his full name, although on at least one occasion Spock revealed his full name."

Okay, now I'm looking for that at least one occasion. Was it in a TV-episode or one of the movies? Or a novel - if so which one?

Thanks.
http://nicky2910.booklikes.com - updated 09/08/2014: Vanguard - #1 Harbinger by David Mack: 9/10
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 11:32 AM   #2
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Spock's full name

it's from a novel. it's also wrong. everyone knows Spock's first name is Carl.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Claudia wrote: View Post
Googling for Spock's full name, I came across the Memory Beta-Wiki which lists his name as "S'chn T'gai Spock".

It goes on to say, "As is the case with most Vulcans, only his last name was used due to the difficulty non-Vulcans would have in pronouncing his full name, although on at least one occasion Spock revealed his full name."

Okay, now I'm looking for that at least one occasion. Was it in a TV-episode or one of the movies? Or a novel - if so which one?

Thanks.
It was from a novel. Memory Beta is a wiki for non-canonical information (novels, comics, chronologies, etc.) Very useful, but use the information at your own discretion. For canonical information, the reference is Memory Alpha.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Incorrect. It's Harold. His mom confirmed so.
Old May 19 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
MichaelS
Fleet Captain

Or a novel - if so which one?
Ishmael, I believe.
Old May 19 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Okay, now I'm looking for that at least one occasion. Was it in a TV-episode or one of the movies?
If I recall, "This Side of Paradise" suggests that Leila Kalomi is aware of Spock's full name, but it's never been revealed canonically.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

MichaelS wrote: View Post
Or a novel - if so which one?
Ishmael, I believe.
This is correct; Ishmael tells us that Spock's first name is S'chn T'gai Spock and that his father's is S'chn T'gai Sarek.

Spock doesn't "reveal" it to anyone, though; it's simply seen in a computer read-out as I recall.
Old May 19 2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
+1
Old May 19 2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=87848

Here's a thread I started about it a couple of months ago.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
If I recall, "This Side of Paradise" suggests that Leila Kalomi is aware of Spock's full name, but it's never been revealed canonically.
Sorry, you don't recall. Leila said "You never told me if you have a first name," and Spock replied, "You couldn't pronounce it."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Thank you all!

@ Therin/Christopher, watching "This Side of Paradise" was what prompted my search and question here. *g*
http://nicky2910.booklikes.com - updated 09/08/2014: Vanguard - #1 Harbinger by David Mack: 9/10
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Thank you all!

@ Therin/Christopher, watching "This Side of Paradise" was what prompted my search and question here. *g*
Yeah, I re-read the quotes on Memory Beta and it reminded me that Spock hadn't actually told her. That sectiion is rather messy, with all those references clumped together, essentially forcing researchers to read each book to sort out which factoid belongs to which resource.

By the way, in issue 2 of Spockanalia, the first Star Trek fanzine, Dorothy Fontana revealed that she had arbitrarily assigned Spock the family name "Xtmprsqzntwlfd". This name also turned up in the semi-pro, fan-produced "USS Enterprise Officers' Manual". (And, coupled with a humorous convention comment by Jane Wyatt, this is actually a first name and the pronunciation is "Harold".)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 04:21 AM   #12
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

Ian, that's close, but not quite accurate. Near the end of the episode, Leila says, "You never told me if you had another name, Mr. Spock," to which Spock replies (somewhat wryly, I would argue), "You couldn't pronounce it."

I know that some fans take this exchange to be an indication that Spock has "another name," and most seem to infer that it means that he has another given name. For me, this never quite rang true. Leila and Spock could be speaking about a Vulcan equivalent for his name, perhaps in an ancient tongue, or perhaps they are talking about a family name, or perhaps even some other name he might have had in his infancy or youth, as part of some Vulcan ritual of which Ms. Kalomi is aware but that the audience is not. Also, Spock's response might not indicate that he even has "another name," if he was, as I suggested, answering wryly.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 04:34 AM   #13
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

For all we know, maybe Vulcan-born children take on their mother's surname - and thus he could be Spock Grayson.

Or, perhaps,
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 04:34 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

David R. George III wrote: View Post
I know that some fans take this exchange to be an indication that Spock has "another name," and most seem to infer that it means that he has another given name. For me, this never quite rang true. Leila and Spock could be speaking about a Vulcan equivalent for his name, perhaps in an ancient tongue, or perhaps they are talking about a family name, or perhaps even some other name he might have had in his infancy or youth, as part of some Vulcan ritual of which Ms. Kalomi is aware but that the audience is not. Also, Spock's response might not indicate that he even has "another name," if he was, as I suggested, answering wryly.
I have to disagree. In the context of the scene, I don't see why she'd ask if he had some esoteric alternate form of his name or some old ritualized thing. The vibe I've always gotten off the scene is that it's a personal moment, she cares for him, and it's awkward to keep addressing him so formally as "Mr. Spock," so she's asking if there's a more familiar form of address she could use.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 05:18 AM   #15
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

There is a family name. Amanda said that she could pronounce it "After a fashion, and after years of practice."
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote