RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 412
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 21 2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Paranormal Activity 2 Discussion and Grading

Haven't seen a thread on this...probably because there are so few that are actually interested in the sequel. I saw the original (before the alterations) last year and absolutely loved it. I realize that these types of movies aren't for everyone and that they can either scare the shit out of you or make you bored to death and that seems to be the consensus of the first film.

So now a year later and becoming one of the most profitable films of all time, Demon Katie is back and haunting her family now. Some of you may remember that I originally was against this sequel, as a lover of the original film I consider Katie and Micha dead, the victims of a tragic unexplained incident. Hollywood though sees more money and a potential franchise they can muck around with.

I've seen most of the viral material online and the trailers have impressed me so far. Going to see this on Sunday afternoon. Anyone else planning on checking it out? Katie is back, it's a mystery so far how Micha factors into the movie but he is supposed to return as well. I'm actually pretty excied about the film.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Paranormal Activity 2 Discussion and Grading

I've only seen one trailer for this. Looks good but to be honest I'll probably wait for the blu-ray.

Not because I didn't like the first or don't want a sequel but because I believe that this kind of movie can't really work in a theater full of people whispering, talking, getting up to go pee, laughing when they shouldn't etc etc

It requires a couple of friends, silence and a house with no lights on to concentrate on what you see, get fully into it and enjoy.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah this is why I didn't see it in the theater because when my friends went to see it I heard a couple of them didn't like it and were talking and laughing through it. That would have annoyed the hell out of me. I actually saw it online with the lights off in my room and it scared the shit out of me for a good week or so.

Old October 22 2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Just seen it tonight **Spoilers ahead**

I loved the first one anyway btw. Mmm this wasn't bad, not as bad as I thought it might be anyway. A sequel certainly sounded like a very dirty cash-in. But at least this is no Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows.
It's main problem for me though is there just aren't enough of the "creepy-oh-shit" moments that made the first film great. Yeah there are a few that make you jump and there's one great bit that's freaky as hell. But overall it could have done with some more, most of it was just nothingness.
Also it ends far too abruptly...

So overall basically it was what I had hoped for and mostly expected- not bad but not as good as the original.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a third one out next year.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Aragorn
Admiral

Do they find Curly's gold or the secret of the ooze in this sequel?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

It requires a couple of friends, silence and a house with no lights on to concentrate on what you see, get fully into it and enjoy.
I saw the first movie for the first time last week under these exact circumstances.
Old October 22 2010, 05:29 AM   #7
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Interesting...that would explain the last viral trailer, so does the movie imply that Katie is the demon? Methinks this will set up a third movie.

Old October 22 2010, 08:21 AM   #8
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Saw it tonight, and it is a prequel not a sequel. There is only one scene that takes place after the events of the first movie, and it ties directly in with how the first film ended.

I did like this one more than the first, which I just saw for the first time Wednesday in my dark apartment with friends. Four of us gathered to see movie for the first time, three of us made fun of it, while the fourth really got into the movie to the point that I made fun of him for not makin' fun of the movie.
Old October 22 2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I forgot to put the poll up...oh well. I'm seeing it on Sunday. Interesting that they structured part of it as a prequel. I predicted that Katie or the demon would return to haunt someone else in their family. I'm still in love with Katie Featherston I think though.

Old October 22 2010, 10:12 AM   #10
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

Not just part of it, it is a prequel.
Old October 22 2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Ethros
Vice Admiral

A decent fair review from SFX Here, basically what I thought
3.5 out of 5

History has taught us that wherever there’s a horror phenomenon, there’s normally a crumby sequel not far behind. Horror fans of a certain age will wince at recalling Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2; those older will feel the same about the second Jaws film. Even last year’s [REC] 2 undid much of the wonder of the original by filling its unnerving void of mythology with unnecessary backstory. There was always the danger that the follow-up to 2007’s no-budget sensation would make a similar mistake.

For the first hour, the mistake Tod Williams’s sequel makes – and it’s a prequel really, but more of that later – takes a different form. Much has been said of the phenomenal monetary return the original film made (created for just $15,000, it recouped $194 million worldwide) and from the off, Williams seems keen to show where some of that money has been spent. He triples the cast of players, demonstrates a slew of different camcorders, and tees up a nightvision coda that should have the aforementioned [REC] team wondering if they can have a share of the spoils too. With increased resources comes a diminished sense of intimacy, both with the scenario and with the cast. It’s harder to care about their plight when you’re struggling to remember all their names.

Yet in setting the sequel mere weeks before the events of the first film – with the story concerning Katie’s sister and the demon’s torment of her family – knowing what happens once all this is through only helps to ramp up the tension. Williams peppers the returning Featherston and Micah Stoat throughout – Micah is not nearly as annoying when you know he’s going to get his soon – and once you’ve come to sympathise with the family’s situation, the dog, the baby, the kid sister and the bigger, grander house all provide a fresh playground for novel new scares.

There’s obviously a plan in place now, with breadcrumbs scattered for at least three future films; a feeling prevails that there’s a franchise being built. Paranormal Activity 2 isn’t as tense as the first film, and sometimes you do wish it was as simple as its predecessor. But it’s certainly a must-see horror sequel – and it’s frightening how rarely you can say that.
Old October 22 2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That review confirms my own feeling that they want a franchise out of this. I suppose I should have seen this coming when they went back and reshot the ending of the original.

Old October 22 2010, 10:24 PM   #13
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Ha yes, now that the Saw series is confirmed as ending (for now at least) with next week's seventh movie, Saw 3D, maybe Paranormal Activity will take its mantle as the annual Halloween never ending horror series
Old October 23 2010, 01:50 AM   #14
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This kind of pisses me off...I really loved the original ending and when I found out the one they released in theaters was different from the test audience one I was livid haha. To me Katie and Micha should have died, it was more tragic that way but they see money signs. I just read the wikipeida article which has the plot and man yeah aside from the ending which leaves it wide open for a third film it seems kind of pointless.

Old October 23 2010, 03:50 AM   #15
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

just got back from seeing this. while its not as good as the original its still enjoyable. though, the first half of the movie really drags. i was getting kinda bored. if you liked the first one i would suggest you see it.