RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,191
Posts: 5,345,519
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 658
Newest member: localyokel

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 12 2011, 02:55 PM   #661
Niorah
Fleet Admiral
 
Niorah's Avatar
 
Location: Londinium, Britannia
View Niorah's Twitter Profile
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

I got this SuperDry hoodie, it is by far the most luxurious, softest, warmest cotton I've tried thus far. And the fit is unbelievably good.

(That's not me in the pic... I found it on their Online Store ).

__________________
Life's a song you don't get to rehearse.
Niorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:09 PM   #662
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

A successful shopping expedition yesterday: went to the tailors to pick up a finished pair of trousers and starting browsing fabric books for a casual/informal spring/autumn suit that can be both dressed up and down. Found some nice glen-plaid flannels in one book, but decided to browse the local outlet mall before committing to the order. After a long browse through my usual haunts, I found the perfect suit in Ferragamo. And it was 75% off the full retail price, making it a much cheaper option than having a new one made-up. Amazing luck, really. My size almost never appears the that shop, and to find exactly what I was looking for (strong mid-grey glen plaid, faint blue overcheck, double-breasted, fairly slim cut, good construction) and that fit 90% right straight off the rack was incredible good fortune!

Still needs a little tailoring to clean up the back, take up the sleeves, and finish the trousers so for now, just hanger pics:


Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:15 PM   #663
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral
 
CommanderRaytas's Avatar
 
Location: Dr Insano's goggles
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

My very own copy of Catcher in the Rye. Call it emo, but as a teenager, I was thoroughly impressed by it.
__________________
Joseph Smith...MAGICAL AIDS FROG!The Book of Mormon (Trey Parker & Matt Stone)
It was a nice day ... AND THEN EVIL CAME!
The Collected Works of Stephen King, condensed version
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:15 PM   #664
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

That's because it's a fantastic book.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:16 PM   #665
ElBurro
Lieutenant Commander
 
ElBurro's Avatar
 
Location: On a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

Coffee, cigarettes and orange juice.

At least the orange juice is healthy.
__________________
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy,
Am I or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

"We are in the Universe and the Universe is in us" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
ElBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:45 PM   #666
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
My very own copy of Catcher in the Rye. Call it emo, but as a teenager, I was thoroughly impressed by it.
That's because it's a fantastic book.
I was bored stiff by it when I first read it as a teen, and even more so when I re-read it a couple of years ago. Caulfield's existential crisis never spoke to me, because his central angst never struck me as something to be unhappy about. Sure, most people are essentially shallow unthinking drones and society encourages that, but really, does that matter?

If they have depth, they will want to learn to think in the fullness of time and then you can have a conversation with them about that. If not, you still have your own sense of self and value to feed upon. Perhaps if I read it at a time when I felt his sense of alienation, loneliness, and emotional dependency, but I hardly ever have.

I think it's a novel that appeals to a different cultural perspective than mine.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:48 PM   #667
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Perhaps if I read it at a time when I felt his sense of alienation, loneliness, and emotional dependency, but I hardly ever have.
That's probably why I liked it.

Don't worry, though. I got better.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:57 PM   #668
ElBurro
Lieutenant Commander
 
ElBurro's Avatar
 
Location: On a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. I thought Holden was too whiny. His complaining about traits in other people which he himself possessed would have been interesting in the third person, but IMO, in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?
__________________
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy,
Am I or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

"We are in the Universe and the Universe is in us" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
ElBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 05:12 PM   #669
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

ElBurro wrote: View Post
I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. I thought Holden was too whiny. His complaining about traits in other people which he himself possessed would have been interesting in the third person, but IMO, in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?
Insightless? Emotionally stunted? Self-absorbed?

Any of those describe Holden Caulfield...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 05:19 PM   #670
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
A successful shopping expedition yesterday: went to the tailors to pick up a finished pair of trousers and starting browsing fabric books for a casual/informal spring/autumn suit that can be both dressed up and down. Found some nice glen-plaid flannels in one book, but decided to browse the local outlet mall before committing to the order. After a long browse through my usual haunts, I found the perfect suit in Ferragamo. And it was 75% off the full retail price, making it a much cheaper option than having a new one made-up. Amazing luck, really. My size almost never appears the that shop, and to find exactly what I was looking for (strong mid-grey glen plaid, faint blue overcheck, double-breasted, fairly slim cut, good construction) and that fit 90% right straight off the rack was incredible good fortune!

Still needs a little tailoring to clean up the back, take up the sleeves, and finish the trousers so for now, just hanger pics:


That's gorgeous fabric, Holdfast. Covet, covet, covet...
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 05:20 PM   #671
ElBurro
Lieutenant Commander
 
ElBurro's Avatar
 
Location: On a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
ElBurro wrote: View Post
I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. I thought Holden was too whiny. His complaining about traits in other people which he himself possessed would have been interesting in the third person, but IMO, in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?
Insightless? Emotionally stunted? Self-absorbed?

Any of those describe Holden Caulfield...
Thank you. All of those sum up the way I feel about the character
__________________
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy,
Am I or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

"We are in the Universe and the Universe is in us" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
ElBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 05:34 PM   #672
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

I actually enjoyed that book immensely. The first time I read it I was a bit young and didn't really get it, but it's improved with subsequent readings and I haven't found anything that really rivals the tone.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 05:35 PM   #673
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

ElBurro wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
ElBurro wrote: View Post
...in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?
Insightless? Emotionally stunted? Self-absorbed?
Any of those describe Holden Caulfield...
Thank you. All of those sum up the way I feel about the character
My pleasure; at your service.

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
A successful shopping expedition yesterday: went to the tailors to pick up a finished pair of trousers and starting browsing fabric books for a casual/informal spring/autumn suit that can be both dressed up and down. Found some nice glen-plaid flannels in one book, but decided to browse the local outlet mall before committing to the order. After a long browse through my usual haunts, I found the perfect suit in Ferragamo. And it was 75% off the full retail price, making it a much cheaper option than having a new one made-up. Amazing luck, really. My size almost never appears the that shop, and to find exactly what I was looking for (strong mid-grey glen plaid, faint blue overcheck, double-breasted, fairly slim cut, good construction) and that fit 90% right straight off the rack was incredible good fortune!

Still needs a little tailoring to clean up the back, take up the sleeves, and finish the trousers so for now, just hanger pics:
That's gorgeous fabric, Holdfast. Covet, covet, covet...
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, and I prefer it to the ones I found in the fabric books. My favourite from those had less contrasting between the plaid and the background, but for my purposes and skin-tone, I think the stronger contrast works better.

It's retro, but not too retro. And very versatile: white, pale blue and pale pink solid shirts will all work easily with it, possibly even a pale solid green. Add a dark solid (or very small scale pattern) tie and it's almost good to go. Not quite sure about shoes though. Black's an easy choice, but burgundy should work too, and maybe even a mid/light brown/tan. Not sure about that. I'll have to experiment once it's back from the tailors.

As a fabric, it would work splendidly well for a smart ladies skirt-suit too IMO, esp. as a pencil skirt with a deep pleated center vent at back. Could even add a little dark brown fur (faux if preferred) at the lapels. Would be very 30s/40s, esp. if paired with a smart pair of highheeled dark brown oxford wintips. Just an idle thought.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 06:37 PM   #674
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, and I prefer it to the ones I found in the fabric books. My favourite from those had less contrasting between the plaid and the background, but for my purposes and skin-tone, I think the stronger contrast works better.

It's retro, but not too retro. And very versatile: white, pale blue and pale pink solid shirts will all work easily with it, possibly even a pale solid green. Add a dark solid (or very small scale pattern) tie and it's almost good to go. Not quite sure about shoes though. Black's an easy choice, but burgundy should work too, and maybe even a mid/light brown/tan. Not sure about that. I'll have to experiment once it's back from the tailors.
Your style is more colorful than mine. If I were wearing that bold a suit, I would be sticking w/ black shoes, white or pale blue shirt (maybe pink, definitely not green!), solid tie.

As a fabric, it would work splendidly well for a smart ladies skirt-suit too IMO, esp. as a pencil skirt with a deep pleated center vent at back. Could even add a little dark brown fur (faux if preferred) at the lapels. Would be very 30s/40s, esp. if paired with a smart pair of highheeled dark brown oxford wintips. Just an idle thought.
Your idle thought has me salivating. Black or even the right shade of gray shoes, though. Black, grey or white silk tee shirt. Or cashmere sweater, depending on the weather. Well, that was a nice little daydream. Thanks!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 07:29 PM   #675
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

'Farmer's' market day, I bought a head of Iceberg, a mango, red pepper, cucumber, broccoli, pears, plums, more plums, satsumas, tomatoes and cheese (I already had plenty of the good bacon )
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I wholeheartedly agree with this post.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.