Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 12 2011, 02:55 PM   #661
Niorah
Fleet Admiral

View Niorah's Twitter Profile
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

I got this SuperDry hoodie, it is by far the most luxurious, softest, warmest cotton I've tried thus far. And the fit is unbelievably good.

(That's not me in the pic... I found it on their Online Store ).

Old March 12 2011, 04:09 PM   #662
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

A successful shopping expedition yesterday: went to the tailors to pick up a finished pair of trousers and starting browsing fabric books for a casual/informal spring/autumn suit that can be both dressed up and down. Found some nice glen-plaid flannels in one book, but decided to browse the local outlet mall before committing to the order. After a long browse through my usual haunts, I found the perfect suit in Ferragamo. And it was 75% off the full retail price, making it a much cheaper option than having a new one made-up. Amazing luck, really. My size almost never appears the that shop, and to find exactly what I was looking for (strong mid-grey glen plaid, faint blue overcheck, double-breasted, fairly slim cut, good construction) and that fit 90% right straight off the rack was incredible good fortune!

Still needs a little tailoring to clean up the back, take up the sleeves, and finish the trousers so for now, just hanger pics:

Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:15 PM   #663
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

My very own copy of Catcher in the Rye. Call it emo, but as a teenager, I was thoroughly impressed by it.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:15 PM   #664
RoJoHen
Awesome

That's because it's a fantastic book.
Old March 12 2011, 04:16 PM   #665
ElBurro
Lieutenant Commander

Location: On a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse

Coffee, cigarettes and orange juice.

At least the orange juice is healthy.

"We are in the Universe and the Universe is in us" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
ElBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:45 PM   #666
Holdfast

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
My very own copy of Catcher in the Rye. Call it emo, but as a teenager, I was thoroughly impressed by it.
That's because it's a fantastic book.
I was bored stiff by it when I first read it as a teen, and even more so when I re-read it a couple of years ago. Caulfield's existential crisis never spoke to me, because his central angst never struck me as something to be unhappy about. Sure, most people are essentially shallow unthinking drones and society encourages that, but really, does that matter?

If they have depth, they will want to learn to think in the fullness of time and then you can have a conversation with them about that. If not, you still have your own sense of self and value to feed upon. Perhaps if I read it at a time when I felt his sense of alienation, loneliness, and emotional dependency, but I hardly ever have.

I think it's a novel that appeals to a different cultural perspective than mine.
Old March 12 2011, 04:48 PM   #667
RoJoHen
Awesome

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Perhaps if I read it at a time when I felt his sense of alienation, loneliness, and emotional dependency, but I hardly ever have.
That's probably why I liked it.

Don't worry, though. I got better.
Old March 12 2011, 04:57 PM   #668
ElBurro
Lieutenant Commander

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. I thought Holden was too whiny. His complaining about traits in other people which he himself possessed would have been interesting in the third person, but IMO, in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?

Old March 12 2011, 05:12 PM   #669
Holdfast

ElBurro wrote: View Post
I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. I thought Holden was too whiny. His complaining about traits in other people which he himself possessed would have been interesting in the third person, but IMO, in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?
Insightless? Emotionally stunted? Self-absorbed?

Any of those describe Holden Caulfield...
Old March 12 2011, 05:19 PM   #670
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

A successful shopping expedition yesterday: went to the tailors to pick up a finished pair of trousers and starting browsing fabric books for a casual/informal spring/autumn suit that can be both dressed up and down. Found some nice glen-plaid flannels in one book, but decided to browse the local outlet mall before committing to the order. After a long browse through my usual haunts, I found the perfect suit in Ferragamo. And it was 75% off the full retail price, making it a much cheaper option than having a new one made-up. Amazing luck, really. My size almost never appears the that shop, and to find exactly what I was looking for (strong mid-grey glen plaid, faint blue overcheck, double-breasted, fairly slim cut, good construction) and that fit 90% right straight off the rack was incredible good fortune!

Still needs a little tailoring to clean up the back, take up the sleeves, and finish the trousers so for now, just hanger pics:

That's gorgeous fabric, Holdfast. Covet, covet, covet...
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 05:20 PM   #671
ElBurro
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you. All of those sum up the way I feel about the character

Old March 12 2011, 05:34 PM   #672
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I actually enjoyed that book immensely. The first time I read it I was a bit young and didn't really get it, but it's improved with subsequent readings and I haven't found anything that really rivals the tone.
Old March 12 2011, 05:35 PM   #673
Holdfast

...in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?
Thank you. All of those sum up the way I feel about the character
My pleasure; at your service.

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post

That's gorgeous fabric, Holdfast. Covet, covet, covet...
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, and I prefer it to the ones I found in the fabric books. My favourite from those had less contrasting between the plaid and the background, but for my purposes and skin-tone, I think the stronger contrast works better.

It's retro, but not too retro. And very versatile: white, pale blue and pale pink solid shirts will all work easily with it, possibly even a pale solid green. Add a dark solid (or very small scale pattern) tie and it's almost good to go. Not quite sure about shoes though. Black's an easy choice, but burgundy should work too, and maybe even a mid/light brown/tan. Not sure about that. I'll have to experiment once it's back from the tailors.

As a fabric, it would work splendidly well for a smart ladies skirt-suit too IMO, esp. as a pencil skirt with a deep pleated center vent at back. Could even add a little dark brown fur (faux if preferred) at the lapels. Would be very 30s/40s, esp. if paired with a smart pair of highheeled dark brown oxford wintips. Just an idle thought.
Old March 12 2011, 06:37 PM   #674
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's pretty sweet, and I prefer it to the ones I found in the fabric books. My favourite from those had less contrasting between the plaid and the background, but for my purposes and skin-tone, I think the stronger contrast works better.

It's retro, but not too retro. And very versatile: white, pale blue and pale pink solid shirts will all work easily with it, possibly even a pale solid green. Add a dark solid (or very small scale pattern) tie and it's almost good to go. Not quite sure about shoes though. Black's an easy choice, but burgundy should work too, and maybe even a mid/light brown/tan. Not sure about that. I'll have to experiment once it's back from the tailors.
Your style is more colorful than mine. If I were wearing that bold a suit, I would be sticking w/ black shoes, white or pale blue shirt (maybe pink, definitely not green!), solid tie.

As a fabric, it would work splendidly well for a smart ladies skirt-suit too IMO, esp. as a pencil skirt with a deep pleated center vent at back. Could even add a little dark brown fur (faux if preferred) at the lapels. Would be very 30s/40s, esp. if paired with a smart pair of highheeled dark brown oxford wintips. Just an idle thought.
Your idle thought has me salivating. Black or even the right shade of gray shoes, though. Black, grey or white silk tee shirt. Or cashmere sweater, depending on the weather. Well, that was a nice little daydream. Thanks!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 07:29 PM   #675
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

'Farmer's' market day, I bought a head of Iceberg, a mango, red pepper, cucumber, broccoli, pears, plums, more plums, satsumas, tomatoes and cheese (I already had plenty of the good bacon )