RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 403
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 19 2012, 02:35 AM   #2971
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Today I got my new exercise bike. It is exactly the same as my old one, actually, but my old one had started creaking, squeaking, and wobbling, and seeing as I work out at 6 in the morning it was waking my roommates, so I figured it was time to move on. According to reviews, most bikes in its price range last about a year. Mine lasted almost three, and that's with me riding it between 1 and 3 hours a day 4 to 6 days a week over most of that three year period. I figure that points to fairly good quality for the price. The list price is $250, but Amazon sells it for $135, plus I get free shipping.

I also bought a bag of chocolate covered pretzels, because, you know, I may workout like a mother-fucker, but I'm keepin' it real.
Wow. I had no idea they were so cheap on Amazon. There's also a cheap(er) elliptical machine too, for $99. I think I'm gonna have to get one or the other now.
Old September 19 2012, 02:47 AM   #2972
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I'd definitely recommend that model. It's easy to put together, it doesn't take up much space, and like I said, I really used it, and it lasted three years. The tension doesn't get super tight, so it doesn't offer intense resistance, but that's it's only failing, and it does offer enough resistance for a good cardio workout. The display monitors time, speed, distance, and mph.

Linky: http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-1300-M...+exercise+bike

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:01 AM   #2973
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Ooh! I might save up for one. The sidewalks here are decent, but are usually blocked, and riding a bike on the road around here is dangerous, as people drive like total and utter maniacs. Plus, I no longer have a bike as we no longer have a garage. So... yeah.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:07 AM   #2974
Kestra
Vice Admiral

So I'm a total softy and have been feeding a stray cat that lives around the apartment complex. He sometimes naps on our patio furniture during the day but I don't know where he goes at night. I've been getting worried because the temperature is starting to drop at night, so I decided to buy a little kitty shelter with a self-warming pad to go inside. I don't know if this is a terrible idea but I feel so bad for the kitty.
Old September 19 2012, 03:11 AM   #2975
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

That's so sweet, Kes. That was a very cool and kind-hearted thing for you to do. I've never bought preconstructed kitty shelters for stays I've encountered, but I've put out a couple of boxes layered with soft sheets for them to use if they saw fit. It didn't work much of the time...they'd usually ignore it, but a few here and there would walk inside and use them every now and then.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:27 AM   #2976
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I don't know if he has a better option somewhere else but I have to at least offer him something. I wanted something covered, and this one has two doors so he won't feel as threatened hopefully. I don't know if he'll like it and my husband is not going to be happy about this, but I had to do something!
Old September 19 2012, 03:31 AM   #2977
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

You did the right thing. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:32 AM   #2978
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

For what it's worth, Kestra, I think you did a good thing.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:39 AM   #2979
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Thanks guys.
Old September 19 2012, 04:25 AM   #2980
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Kestra wrote: View Post
So I'm a total softy and have been feeding a stray cat that lives around the apartment complex. He sometimes naps on our patio furniture during the day but I don't know where he goes at night. I've been getting worried because the temperature is starting to drop at night, so I decided to buy a little kitty shelter with a self-warming pad to go inside. I don't know if this is a terrible idea but I feel so bad for the kitty.
I give this purchase a

Have you tried bringing him in?

I bought Lady Gaga's perfume because.. I am the person marketing is directed at.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 04:35 AM   #2981
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I give this purchase a

I bought Lady Gaga's perfume because.. I am the person marketing is directed at.
Which one? Pre-teen girl or gay male twenty-something?

Kestra, I too applaud your purchase!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 04:52 AM   #2982
Kestra
Vice Admiral

No. We have an indoor cat so I haven't been sure if the outdoor kitty could transmit any diseases, even if they weren't in the same room at the same time. I actually have been thinking about bringing him to a vet but I'm wary of putting him in our cat carrier because it's a soft sided carrier that can't be cleaned easily. I'd really like to get him checked out at the vet.

Since we can't keep him and we're in an apartment, anything I do is a short-term solution and I'm looking for something better. All the shelters around here are full but I keep contacting them every now and then to see if they have any openings. It has to be a no-kill shelter because he's not some cute kitten that would be immediately adopted. He is a sweet cat though, so I'm sure with some socialization he'd make a great addition to someone's family.

At any rate, I feel better knowing that I can offer him a little shelter in case he wants it.

Thanks! My husband just called so I confessed the purchase to him and he wasn't upset with me at all. I think he's come to expect this kind of behavior from me!
Old September 19 2012, 04:53 AM   #2983
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I give this purchase a

Which one? Pre-teen girl or gay male twenty-something?

Gay male twenty-something.

I hear there are body products too!

And yes MORE APPLAUSE for Kestra's purchase!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 06:07 AM   #2984
BigFoot
Admiral

I got a cheap tripod for my D-SLR yesterday and today I got Borderlands 2 from the Playstation Network store.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 02:18 PM   #2985
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

As Kestra is going to keep it up (by caring for the stray) I too applaud what you did there. But normally I'd say that you should never, ever, feed or interact with strays.

Went to the shop where I found the swing top bottles, I posted about some pages up-thread, to get a non-killing mouse-trap for a friend who's cat brought in a mouse and failed to kill...

I thought you'd like to see a snap I took in the shop: