Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 25 2012, 03:46 PM   #1981
BigFoot
Admiral

Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

I just got all four seasons of Farscape on Blu-ray.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 08:05 PM   #1982
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
Hubby bought a blu-ray player from Amazon; he's downstairs getting it set up right now. I don't know WHY he thought we needed a blu-ray player, but *shrug* whatever. He got a really good deal on it, so at least it wasn't that expensive.
Is it the kind that you can stream Netflix on? I get more use out of my player for that than watching blu rays. I actually only own 1 movie on blu ray.
Yes, it is. His plan was to get rid of the pc we have next to the TV and make the blu-ray the "media center."
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 08:43 PM   #1983
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Old January 25 2012, 09:54 PM   #1984
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Sliders season 5 DVD.

Now if Universal would just release SeaQuest season 3, two more of my DVD collections would be finished.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 10:41 PM   #1985
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post

2 of those puppies lol

been thinking of upgrading my sli system for a while now, and caught these at a really good price

Core Clock: 900 MHz
Memory Clock: 4008 MHz Effective
Shader Clock: 1800 MHz
CUDA Cores: 192
Bus Type: PCI-E 2.0
Memory Detail: 2048MB GDDR5
Memory Bit Width: 192 Bit
Memory Speed: 0.5 ns
Memory Bandwidth: 96.19 GB/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 28.8 GT/s

Can't wait to get them stuck in when they arrive

M
Very nice...i recently went for the normal EVGA 560 superclocked version......very good cards......i would have loved two cards but i don't as yet have access to my own power station.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 11:18 PM   #1986
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Hubby bought a blu-ray player from Amazon; he's downstairs getting it set up right now. I don't know WHY he thought we needed a blu-ray player, but *shrug* whatever. He got a really good deal on it, so at least it wasn't that expensive.
Is it the kind that you can stream Netflix on? I get more use out of my player for that than watching blu rays. I actually only own 1 movie on blu ray.
Yes, it is. His plan was to get rid of the pc we have next to the TV and make the blu-ray the "media center."
He should look into the AppleTV. The only problem with that one is that the ATV maxes out at 720p, and Blu-Ray players go up to 1080. But with certain TV sizes, that doesn't even matter.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 12:32 AM   #1987
Lumi
Captain

View Lumi's Twitter Profile

Lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2012, 01:01 AM   #1988
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
He should look into the AppleTV. The only problem with that one is that the ATV maxes out at 720p, and Blu-Ray players go up to 1080. But with certain TV sizes, that doesn't even matter.
My hubby would slit his wrists before buying anything Apple. He's an IT guy and to him, Apple is The Evil Empire. But he's made his purchase and seems happy with it, which is a miracle unto itself. The man never buys anything without making graphs, charts, using a slide rule, and checking every Consumer's Report issue ever published and then rolling a ten-sider.

Hell, this weekend, he needed a belt---ONE belt. I took him to Macy's, Dillard's, Ross, Old Navy, JC Penney's and Sears before he found ONE belt to buy. 6 stores to buy one brown leather belt.

So, if he announces that he wants to buy something, I say "OK."

God help me.
Old January 26 2012, 03:23 AM   #1989
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Hot damn. Is that one of the Anovos ones?
Yep, the wait is killing me! 6 months to manufacture, then finally it shipped a couple of days ago. I have been tracking it across the USA and then over the Pacific ocean, it arrived in Australia yesterday...where it will stay in a warehouse because today is Australia Day and nobody is working today I can't wait to get my hands on it - I will be posting a review in the TOS forum.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Because I got my pension today I went to buy the items that were in my basket as Amazon UK. However I discovered that the free postage to Australia for orders over 25 pounds that Amazon UK had been offering finished on the 19th of this month. I still decided to buy the DVDs that were in my basket but the book (The Steampunk Bible) I decided to buy from Book Depository US as they still have free delivery.

If I had bought the items from an Australian store (even an online one) they would have cost a lot more.
Yep, its not even close, the Aussie consumer, and bookbuyers in particular, get a very raw deal.

Just got back from the USA where I purchased a new Vaio laptop, Sony Tablet, and some PS3 games. All were HALF the Aussie price!

Don't get me started on the Aussie prices of books, shoes and clothes!
Ah, but you're also a lot closer to all the discounted Chinese knockoffs, so it's sort of quid pro quo....

On a more serious note, I do actually wonder how this situation will vary as South East Asia continues to grow economically. One would intuit that as the local economy burgeons, transactional and logistical costs should fall, making things (relatively) more affordable for Australians too. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Spot on, but the real culprit here is rent seeking - in Australia we still slap tariffs on clothes, cars and shoes here. Hell, the book publishing industry has total protection from any imports of any title they choose to print themselves. Retailers are barred from selling imported copies, and must pay whatever the monopolist book publisher charges. This of course is far more than the retailer (who is under enough pressure from the likes of amazon) can handle, and so they go out of business in droves while a relative handful of book publishing executives and authors are protected. Of course, any moves to change any of this results in furious lobbying and media misinformation campaigns from the vested interests. The Australian publishing industry has a lot of blood on its hands. At least six bookstores in my neighbourhood have gone out of business over the past year. Told you not to get me started
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 07:18 AM   #1990
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Got my engagement ring re-sized. It's been over 9 years since I got it, since we our engagement lasted over a year and our 8th anniversary is in March.

I'm glad I got it re-sized. This is the first time I've been able to wear it since last May.
Old January 29 2012, 04:03 PM   #1991
Niorah
Fleet Admiral

View Niorah's Twitter Profile

After long research and reading reviews and comparisons and all that jazz, I finally decided to buy a new camera for myself. My first digital camera, that is. I went for a Fujifilm Finepix HS20EXR.
I did not want a full DSLR, I wanted a bridge camera with good specs and this one ticks all the boxes:

24mm-720mm zoom lens ( )
CMOS Sensor 16M
ISO 100-12800
RAW Format
Aperture F2.8 to F11
Full HD (1080p) Video recording with stereo sound
Full Manual controls
HDMI Out
Sweep Panorama 360 degrees
Continuous shooting at 8fps

And apparently the best Macro function you can find, being able to take pictures of objects as close as 1cm without distortion.

All this in a compact and stylish package:

Old January 29 2012, 04:43 PM   #1992
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Records!

Old January 30 2012, 12:02 AM   #1993
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Picked up some cute Merrells at DSW. They were 40 bucks but usually retail at 80 or more (?!). Snatched them up right away. It's very hard to find cute and comfortable orthopedic shoes. Don't usually like back-less shoes, but it's a compromise I am completely willing to make.
Old January 30 2012, 04:03 AM   #1994
Gaseous Anomaly
Wacked out trippin dude™

Niorah wrote: View Post
After long research and reading reviews and comparisons and all that jazz, I finally decided to buy a new camera for myself. My first digital camera, that is. I went for a Fujifilm Finepix HS20EXR.
I did not want a full DSLR, I wanted a bridge camera with good specs and this one ticks all the boxes:

24mm-720mm zoom lens ( )
CMOS Sensor 16M
ISO 100-12800
RAW Format
Aperture F2.8 to F11
Full HD (1080p) Video recording with stereo sound
Full Manual controls
HDMI Out
Sweep Panorama 360 degrees
Continuous shooting at 8fps

And apparently the best Macro function you can find, being able to take pictures of objects as close as 1cm without distortion.

All this in a compact and stylish package:

Nice looking rig you have there.

Bought this for the wife last weekend, it's 37" 1080p LCD. Very nice I must say.
Gaseous Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 05:33 PM   #1995
ares93
Commodore

Old versus new. Swedish versus British.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote