RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 144,502
Posts: 5,675,757
Members: 25,622
Currently online: 393
Newest member: CaptJaneway

TrekToday headlines

Trek-Themed Roku Home Screen
By: T'Bonz on Apr 20

July Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Apr 20

Star Trek Vegas Convention Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Apr 20

Retro Review: Parallax
By: Michelle on Apr 17

New ThinkGeek Trek Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Online Adds Voyager Actor
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Project Enterprise Campaign Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Star Trek Live In Concert Update
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Crofoot: Angel One And The Offspring
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 14 2012, 06:15 PM   #2986
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

^I love it, but can someone please explain the context? I mean, why the need to change identical guns during the shoot? Did the props actually light up whenever Ford pulled the trigger?
__________________
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 08:37 PM   #2987
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: In My Lair, Cretin.
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
^I love it, but can someone please explain the context? I mean, why the need to change identical guns during the shoot? Did the props actually light up whenever Ford pulled the trigger?
I don't know the particulars of this scene, but actors on a set will usually holster rubber or wooden guns because fakes don't go off by accident or have to be checked for chambered bullets. Props will then hand off a real gun when an actor has to be seen shooting or do a close up. I'd imagine Ford used a light weight fake gun for his quick draw, and was then handed a real Mauser to shoot off his blanks.
__________________
"Didn't I?" — Leonard Nimoy
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 09:19 PM   #2988
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

There's also the part about Vader making it fly out of his hand, but I don't know how they did that or whether that has anything to do with it.
__________________
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 09:58 PM   #2989
ares93
Commodore
 
Location: ares93
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
There's also the part about Vader making it fly out of his hand, but I don't know how they did that or whether that has anything to do with it.
It's called a string, mate...
__________________
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 10:15 PM   #2990
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
^I love it, but can someone please explain the context? I mean, why the need to change identical guns during the shoot? Did the props actually light up whenever Ford pulled the trigger?
I don't know the particulars of this scene, but actors on a set will usually holster rubber or wooden guns because fakes don't go off by accident or have to be checked for chambered bullets. Props will then hand off a real gun when an actor has to be seen shooting or do a close up. I'd imagine Ford used a light weight fake gun for his quick draw, and was then handed a real Mauser to shoot off his blanks.
Thanks for that. I had no idea that Solo's prop gun was an *actual* gun. I just assumed that it was essentially a jerry-rigged prop, and that any bright flashes from the gun were added in post-production, and not fireworks (since it's, y'know, a ray gun).
__________________
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 10:20 PM   #2991
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

ares93 wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
There's also the part about Vader making it fly out of his hand, but I don't know how they did that or whether that has anything to do with it.
It's called a string, mate...
Yeah, I kinda figured, but without seeing any behind the scenes footage, I can't claim to know. And I'd also figure that drawing a gun with a string (or actually, one or more strings) attached to it might create various problems as well.
__________________
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 10:47 PM   #2992
Alrik
Rear Admiral
 
Alrik's Avatar
 
Location: Alrik is on A deck chair, somewhere....
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

^

Or knot.
__________________
When I grow up, I want to be just like you. But different.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 10:48 PM   #2993
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: In My Lair, Cretin.
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
^I love it, but can someone please explain the context? I mean, why the need to change identical guns during the shoot? Did the props actually light up whenever Ford pulled the trigger?
I don't know the particulars of this scene, but actors on a set will usually holster rubber or wooden guns because fakes don't go off by accident or have to be checked for chambered bullets. Props will then hand off a real gun when an actor has to be seen shooting or do a close up. I'd imagine Ford used a light weight fake gun for his quick draw, and was then handed a real Mauser to shoot off his blanks.
Thanks for that. I had no idea that Solo's prop gun was an *actual* gun. I just assumed that it was essentially a jerry-rigged prop, and that any bright flashes from the gun were added in post-production, and not fireworks (since it's, y'know, a ray gun).
The bright red flashes were added in post, however the guns on set did give off a loud pop, a spark and some smoke. (When ROTJ came out, they had a 'making of' special on TV showing some of the actors shooting the Endor scenes. I'll never forget how anti-clamactic it was to see Princess Leia aim her gun, close her eyes, shoot a cloud of smoke. )

I remember reading an interview with a guy who did some of the weapons work for Star Wars. He later did other movies like ALIENS. He was actually kind of apologetic about Star Wars, because many of the weapons have only slight cosmetic changes. The pulse rifle from ALIENS, for example, is a complete shell hiding the Tommy gun inside.

Anyway, here's some guns:





Stormtrooper long rifle:


German MG34
__________________
"Didn't I?" — Leonard Nimoy
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 10:48 PM   #2994
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

Alrik wrote: View Post
Or knot.
Oooo, that was baaaaad.
__________________
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 11:39 PM   #2995
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 12:15 AM   #2996
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: Within my own Magic Murder Bag
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

^ Now this is a meme I can get behind. All of those were funny.
__________________
"Did you know that there is a million bucks hidden in the house next door?"
"But there is no house next door."
"No? Then let's go build one!"
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 01:44 AM   #2997
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

And very much true
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 05:18 AM   #2998
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

My brain does the upper right-hand one constantly.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 03:55 PM   #2999
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: In My Lair, Cretin.
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!





__________________
"Didn't I?" — Leonard Nimoy
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 12:24 AM   #3000
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: All I Got Left is My THREAD BOMBS!

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Beautiful!
__________________
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.