Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 4 2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Underworld #4 - Beckinsale in 3D?

I've only seen the first Underworld movie - it was odd, Beckinsale was fun to look at in black leather, and White Wolf Games arrived at a nice little settlement with the producers over material lifted from their Vampire RPGs.

In any event, BloodyDisgusting.com reports that Variety seems to report that Underworld is being remade as a 3D film, starring Kate Beckinsale again.

I say "seems to report" because looking at the Variety piece, a) I don't see her name mentioned and b) it looks like the reference could be interpreted as a reprocessing of the original film into some version of 3D. But a number of other sites have picked up and reported this as definitely a new film.

Curious.

One way or another, though, everyone seems to be in a hurry to get into the 3D movie business.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 12:30 AM   #2
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Re: Underworld #4 - Beckinsale in 3D?

I haven't seen any of the 3D movies (aside from theme park attractions), so I can't speak from experience, but it seems to somewhat be a fad (don't get me wrong, I'd like to check out a couple, but I don't know if I have anything at home that would show 3D good enough) that everyone is rushing into, despite whether or not the movie would be "good" for 3D. Especially the horror movies as of late, I don't get what the sudden fad is to do...I was pretty disappointed to find out Cabin in the Woods was delayed for another year for reprocessing into 3D, because it doesn't seem to be the type to be a 3D movie, nor does Underworld. To each, their own, I guess...
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 12:43 AM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

They've been talking about doing the next UNDERWORLD in 3D for a several months now. Could be fun . . . .
Old February 4 2010, 01:12 AM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
...I was pretty disappointed to find out Cabin in the Woods was delayed for another year for reprocessing into 3D, because it doesn't seem to be the type to be a 3D movie, nor does Underworld.
Actually, part of the point of the way that Digital 3D is being marketed is that any subject matter is "suitable" for 3D just as (arguably) any subject matter is suitable for color. The current process gives objects apparent contour and space a sense of continuity and depth rather than the "multiplane" look of previous technologies. The whole idea is to get beyond 3D as a stunt.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 01:12 AM   #5
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
They've been talking about doing the next UNDERWORLD in 3D for a several months now. Could be fun . . . .
Oh, I am sure it could be, don't get me wrong, maybe they can do something cool with it. I just meant along the lines of doing movies in a franchise (or perhaps better termed, where it already has other parts) that were not previously 3D, into a 3D part just seems...odd.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 01:26 AM   #6
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I've found this from DarkHorizons today

Sources tell the site she's "trying to find a way out of the film -- or at least have a smaller role in order to "pass the torch" to one of her kindred"
Screenwriter John Hlavin has previously said that the film isn't a prequel, telling Heat Vision Blog that "It will satisfy old fans and excite new audiences, meaning that we don't want to redo the first three movies, so steps are being taken to honor what fans have loved but at the same time introduce fresh elements."
The film is currently scheduled to hit theatres on January 21st 2011.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 02:11 AM   #7
Scout101
Admiral

Any way I can just get a 3D MODEL of Kate Beckinsale?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 04:28 AM   #8
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

so its a sequel? good... I have no interest in watching a remake of the first film...I hope Micheal will at least be in it.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 04:53 AM   #9
Mr Light
Admiral

According to AICN it takes place... IN SPACE!!! WTF.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 10:38 AM   #10
BigFoot
Admiral

As long as Kate is in it, I'll be there.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 10:57 AM   #11
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Quote from the Variety report.
"Aided by rebates, Gaul's Duran Duboi will help deliver "Underworld 3D," a spatialized version of 2003's "Underworld," directed by Len Wiseman and produced by Screen Gems/Lakeshore."

I recently read an article about the new 3D technology, saying it is possible to re-treat already made films to make them into 3D (they are considering it for the Lord Of The Rings trilogy). The way that statement is phrased suggests to me that the are adding 3D to the original Underworld. Not a sequel or remake.

Still, Kate Beckinsale in latex, Sophia Myles in a corset, all in 3D. Might be worth watching.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
According to AICN it takes place... IN SPACE!!! WTF.

I think that's just a stupid misunderstanding. The director said it was going to be "spatialized," which is probably just a fancy of way of saying it's going to be in 3D.

Some silly person thought "spatialized" meant "in space."
Old February 4 2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I've found this from DarkHorizons today

Sources tell the site she's "trying to find a way out of the film -- or at least have a smaller role in order to "pass the torch" to one of her kindred"
Screenwriter John Hlavin has previously said that the film isn't a prequel, telling Heat Vision Blog that "It will satisfy old fans and excite new audiences, meaning that we don't want to redo the first three movies, so steps are being taken to honor what fans have loved but at the same time introduce fresh elements."
The film is currently scheduled to hit theatres on January 21st 2011.
Talk of Underworld 4 has been going around since summer of 2009 after the tally of Rise of Lycans proved solid enough. Then DVD sales showed strength and talk improved to the fourth installment being in 3-D, with or without Kate.

I'm hopeful that this news from DarkHorizons that its still going to continue what was and not be a reboot stays true. I'm tired of the "trilogy" mindset completes a franchise.
With Underworld stories can be told post Lycans/pre Underworld and post Evolution. No need for any reboot. Heck there cold be stories pre-Lycans with Corvenus, father of both mosnter immortals. Not sure how fun it would be but who knows.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 05:09 PM   #14
BigFoot
Admiral

They really need to do a movie where Amelia is the main character.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
They really need to do a movie where Amelia is the main character.
Amelia is definitely the big question mark in the UNDERWORLD mythos. We still know next to nothing about her . . . .