Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 10 2013, 05:59 AM   #16
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Space Patrol Orion' West German 1966 TV series & ST:TOS

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And he gets some sort of Stasi/Gestapo officer forced upon. And his reaction is to lie, to cheat and to scheme against her.
That's not unlike Archer/T'Pol, only that McLane and Jagellovsk needed a little longer to get along with. In Enterprise, the conflict between Archer and T'Pol had been put aside way too early.
Old October 10 2013, 09:47 AM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I'm resurrecting this 3 year old thread because I recently started watching that show again. It was difficult to find subtitles for it.
Yes, that is quite a problem making this series accessible to audiences outside of Germany. There do exist French and Italian dubbed versions but to my knowledge these were never released on video.

And here is what the show would have looked like in color, and I have to say: omg, that would have looked excellent.

http://nice-bastard.blogspot.de/2010...u-von-der.html
Unfortunately up to the last minute the producers were undecided whether to shoot in color (expensive, then) or b&w.

Nobody expected the series to be as successful as it turned out, and the lack of color turned out to be quite an obstacle trying to market the series for international audiences.

The series was not inspired by Star Trek (back in the 1960's US television series were largely unknown to German broadcasters) but some parallels are remarkable. On the contrary, the idea to use a spaceship as a "fireship" to stop a threat was visualized long before "The Doomsday Machine".

And how great the sets looked when differently photographed.
It was Rolf Zehetbauer's unique futuristic style. He also designed the BTA space station interiors for "Enemy Mine".

The militaristic approach is a little off putting. This was a West German show, right? But it comes off as pretty East German.
It was a West German show (produced by Bavaria who became famous for "Das Boot" aka U-96), and the militaristic approach was heavily criticized by the reviewers ("fascistoid"). The producers acknowledged that, and because of this criticism there was no prospect to go beyond the original seven 1-hour episodes.

And he gets some sort of Stasi/Gestapo officer forced upon. And his reaction is to lie, to cheat and to scheme against her.
Yes, one of the premises of the series was how he slowly turned her into an effective member of his crew, once she realized that out there in space you can't just do things "by the book" but have to be creative and imaginative. In the end she uses her position to cover for McLane and the other crew members.

The show itself seems a lot more feminist than TOS, as they put female characters in a lot more prominent lead roles than TOS did.
Absolutely, McLane's Boss was General Lydia van Dyke. And one of the renegade Earth colonies only had women in higher positions (and men as gardeners).

But at the same time, the Orion crew is a bunch of extremely sexist machos.
That would mostly apply to weapons officer Mario de Monti but the women snap back at him rather hard.

What I don't like is the militaristic shoot to kill approach. The aliens are hostile for no reason, and the Orion crew does not try once to talk to them.
Well, the "Frogs" acted like the Gorn in "Arena". The series didn't mention whether any attempts to communicate with this aliens were ever made but the Frogs obviously intend to annihilate the human race and get their "hands" (?) on human technology.

The science is a lot worse than in TOS. Here the authors truly didn't give a shit about astronomy and physics. And the technobabble, as far as I can understand it, makes absolutely no sense. It's just a bunch of exotic/technological sounding words connected, but there is no meaning behind it.
Admittedly there were some oddballs like a "supernova" being accelerated with FTL speed on a collision course with Earth, the aforementioned former Earth colony (apparently several light years away) harvesting radiation from our sun with ecological impact on our planet and planetoids with a breathable atmosphere.

The series used English descriptions that sounded fancy for German audiences in the 1960's and many acronyms like "EAS" ("ErdAussenStation" = Earth Outpost) - say hello to Bernd Schneider - but other than that the terminology was no more technobabble than Star Trek's deflectors, phasers or photon Torpedos, IMHO.

Here is another link to the TV series in English which I think qualifies as a good and illustrated article to convey the general feeling about "Raumpatrouille": http://toddstadtman.com/lucha-orion.html

Bob
Robert Comsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 11:46 AM   #18
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

The militaristic approach is a little off putting. This was a West German show, right? But it comes off as pretty East German.
This was pre-1968, and German science fiction of that time was (just like the writing staff of early Perry Rhodan btw) largely dominated by right-wingers. It wasn't until the 70s that German SF gradually became more left-wing.

So, the "Frogs" were the Soviets and Commander McLane was Curits LeMay.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Mario de Monti
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
That would mostly apply to weapons officer Mario de Monti but the women snap back at him rather hard.
Absolutely, Mario de Monti thought of himself as irresistable but mostly he got "shot down" - and all his colleagues made fun of him for that, not just the women.

Mario
Old October 14 2013, 11:27 PM   #20
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

I'd never even heard of this show until seeing this thread today (I obviously missed it the first time around ... ) Thanks for the info, it's fascinating.
Old October 15 2013, 01:33 AM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Wow. Never heard of it. For a TV budget, especially a 1960s TV budget, it's visually stunning. Just imagine Star Trek's stories with this visual style.

And imagine "Way to Eden" with this...
Old October 15 2013, 06:44 AM   #22
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Wow. Never heard of it. For a TV budget, especially a 1960s TV budget, it's visually stunning. Just imagine Star Trek's stories with this visual style.

And imagine "Way to Eden" with this...
That's pretty impressive: the dance choreography must've been tough, yet it's all so smooth!

I do like how "character-driven" this program appears to be!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 09:26 AM   #23
Robert Comsol
Commodore

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
That's pretty impressive: the dance choreography must've been tough, yet it's all so smooth!
As you can all imagine the dance sequences were what everyone in the audience would always remember about the series.

Back in the 1960's it looked totally weird, but if you think of all the aerobic excercises we've seen in the past decades it starts to look less weird, or at least IMHO.

Bob
Old October 15 2013, 09:55 AM   #24
FreddyE
Commander

Dennis wrote: View Post
The sets for Orion look fantastic - maybe too simple and not very realistic, but they have some real scale and imagination.
The funny thing is, they used every day items for their sets more then TOS ever did. Part of their main console is an ironing machine ;-)

The science is a lot worse than in TOS. Here the authors truly didn't give a shit about astronomy and physics. And the technobabble, as far as I can understand it, makes absolutely no sense. It's just a bunch of exotic/technological sounding words connected, but there is no meaning behind it.
There is one episode that is all about a super nova, (which they sometimes call "Super Nova" and sometimes "Fast Runner")..but what the SFX shows is a comet. And then they go and destroy the super nova using a weapon called "Overkill" ;-)
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 03:31 PM   #25
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Not much sillier than this:
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 03:54 PM   #26
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Not much sillier than this:
Give the choice I'd rather do the Space Patrol chicken dance.
Old October 16 2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I've heard of the show - there are a number of clips on Youtube.

Thanks for that post , I like how at about 0:37 the Count down sound like the Classic Cylon's from BSG.
Old October 17 2013, 07:51 AM   #28
Danger Ace
Commander

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Star Trek TOSpremiered in September 1966.and
Space Patrol Orion AKA Raumpatrouille Orion
(literal translation: Space Patrol – The Fantastic Adventures of the Spaceship Orion) both premiered on TV in September of 1966 ... Did ARD in West Germany hear of Gene Roddenberry's pilot in 1964 and create their show?
They probably shared many of the same inspirations (Books: EE "Doc" Smith, Robert Heinlein's "Space Cadet," etc.; Films: "Forbidden Planet," etc.). Germany also had their own homegrown Perry Rhodan series among others. In the states, Roddenberry had seen Captain Video, Space Patrol (US), Captain Video, etc. (wherein they all contain bits here and there that would later resemble things in Trek '66).

"Star Trek" in and of itself wasn't a totally original creation. What did make it "different" was that it was aimed at an older audience. Science Fiction and Space Opera also was not unique to the USA.
Old October 17 2013, 07:52 AM   #29
FreddyE
Commander

I love the intro text at the beginning of the opening theme...I made a quick translation:

"What sounds like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
This is a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow:
There are no nations anymore.
There is just humankind and its colonies in space.
People settle on far away planets.
The ocean floor has been develeoped as residental area.
Space ships rush thru our milky way with speeds still unimaginable today.
One of those space ships is the ORION, a tiny part of a gigantic security system protecting earth from dangers from space.
Let´s accompany the ORION and its crew on its patrol service at the edge of infinity..."

Last edited by FreddyE; October 18 2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Corrected translation error, thanks to Robert Comsol :-)
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 10:39 AM   #30
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Almost flawless translation. In German "star" could equally refer to either a celestial body like the Sun or a planet. In the context of the opening narration it's "people settle on far away planets".

Bob