Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 25 2013, 08:55 AM   #151
LtChange
Commander

Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

I thought of Temis in the moment I saw this:

TrekCore: At the end of Enterprise, I remember, I think, twice actually, a fan campaign to get the show on the air, to keep the show on the air, or something. Were you aware of that? Did you think it had any legs behind it? Was it always a done deal?
Brannon Braga: I was aware of the fan campaign to keep Enterprise alive, because I drove past it every morning on my way to work. I don't think it had a chance. I think the network had decided what it wanted to do, and there was even a fan campaign to raise money. You know, Enterprise cost millions of dollars an episode, and I think they raised $30,000 or something. It was a noble effort, but there was no way the fans were going to save it.
The best thing the fans could do, for those reading this, the best possible thing the fans could do is, if they want to see another season of Enterprise, is watch it on Netflix.
TrekCore: Watch it on Netflix?
Brannon Braga: My neighbor produces Arrested Development, and they're making a new season of Arrested Development. I recall him telling me that it's because for that show, they know they're gonna get... they have data! They know a certain number of people are going to watch that show. I've heard rumors in town that the CBS show Jericho might get another season, because the numbers on Netflix are big!
Watch Enterprise!
TrekCore: Brannon, I will go home and watch it five times through, but are you saying - and I know you can't commit - if everybody was watching it on Netflx, there's a chance the actors would get back involved?
Brannon Braga: I don't work at Netflix, but all I can tell you is, based on what I've seen, if a show is real popular, they take notice. It's a business model... I would love to see another season of Enterprise. Whether or not you could get the whole cast, I don't know. But this cast is young, vibrant... I see them here, a lot of the cast is here at this convention, and I miss these guys.
It wasn't too long ago... it would be fun to do something. Even if it was just a two-hour special.
TrekCore: Just a couple of hours?
Brannon Braga: Yeah. I think that people would check it out.
Source:
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/exc...rview-part-ii/
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 12:57 AM   #152
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Ack, I have to agree with Brannon Braga now?

But yeah, I'm sure that deep in the bowels of Netflix, there's some Landru-like computer adding up all the people who are watching Star Trek series (all of them) on streaming, every minute of every day... Sooner or later something's gonna click with Landru's human minions.

Forget ENT, tho - a new series would be the way to go. And a two-hour special would make no sense at all, why invest all the start-up costs for something that short? Netflix is all about grabbing and hanging onto viewers (being subscribers, not ad viewers, they're more valuable to hang onto), which means there always needs to be something else that's related to shove at them, either the same series or something compatible.

EDIT: Sadly, that traitorous Landru seems to be a Bablyonic.

Hot on the heels of Netflix’s original series House Of Cards, the company has announced that it will release a new sci-fi TV series to the platform called Sense8.

The show is being developed under the guidance of the Wachowskis, who are responsible for smash hits like the Matrix series of films, V for Vendetta, Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer, as well as J. Michael Straczynski who is the creator behind Changeling, Thor, and Babylon 5.

With Sense8, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos explained that the Wachowskis and Straczynski are some of the most popular content creators on the Netflix Instant platform. “Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally and we can’t wait to bring Sense8 to life.”

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; April 3 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 08:22 PM   #153
LtChange
Commander

Looking at Netflix strategies I think that 2 hours would not make sense, most probably if they venture to Star Trek Enterprise roads (although I don't think so, but I would love to see the Earth-Romulan war done right) they would do at least 6-10 episodes. But that will be the strategy with any Star Trek series.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:40 PM   #154
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

By the time a new Star Trek series is ready there may be no "linear TV" (ad-supported broadcast) for it to air on. Broadcast is losing its struggle to compete with cable and streaming and their lovely subscription revenues. More broadly, they can't compete with technology that gives consumers the power over TV.

Will FOX be the first domino to fall?

The time is soon coming when to see anything worth watching, we'll have to pay for it by more than watching ads. (That's already true for me, there's nothing on broadcast that is even worth watching ads for.) Fortunately, there will be no reason to pay much, certainly not a $100/month cable bill. The same forces that are crunching broadcast will also drive down the price of content overall.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:04 PM   #155
dub
Fleet Captain

Another article about the continued success of Netflix...

http://guardianlv.com/2013/10/is-net...nvelope-again/

(And a small mention of DS9 in the article as well)

Other shows that may push Netflix further along include Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, a Star Trek series whose writers later wrote Battle Star Galactia. The first 2 seasons of The Twilight Zone from the late 50s to the early 60s, created by Rod Serling. Ugly Betty and Xena: Warrior Princess will be shown and also an old known favorite Rockford Files. This streamlining of old shows should bring repeat viewers and give newer, younger audiences a chance to view old favorites without using or pushing the envelope.
I'll say it again, I became a Niner thanks to Netflix. I love streaming so much that I purchased a Roku 3, and I'm not the sort of person who has to have every little gadget that comes out. And I discovered the crazy amount of channels out there on Roku. Granted, most of the channels are crap, but there are some diamonds in the rough. And many of the channels are free. Some you just have to watch an ad here and there to view. Some are annoying with their ads [delete channel]. But you can't beat free!

But I'm also a fan of TV. And at this point, I'd love to see Trek come back to TV in either broadcast or streaming. Either way. Bring it!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 11:08 PM   #156
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Broadcast TV isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The dinosaurs in charge are going to stick to the old model no matter how outdated and ridiculous it becomes.

Hell, the day the first stupid youtube video which cost nothing to make got more views than a hit cable show that a studio spent $2 million to produce was the day the old model died.
Old October 27 2013, 12:53 AM   #157
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Broadcast TV isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The dinosaurs in charge are going to stick to the old model no matter how outdated and ridiculous it becomes.

Hell, the day the first stupid youtube video which cost nothing to make got more views than a hit cable show that a studio spent $2 million to produce was the day the old model died.
The old model will die the day it's not financially viable. Until then it will carry on.

A stupid youtube video getting more hits than a cable tv show is meaningless when it can't be monetized for anything compared with what TV shows can be.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote